http://www.firefighternation.com/for...ource=activity
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Re: Even a small cylinder of acetylene can do a LOT OF DAMAGE

Good heads up! I have a couple "B" tanks and don't use them much, so I just have them in a cabinet in my garage. Did some searching on Google for proper storage, and it said "Never" lay the acetylene tank on it's side. Always store and transport in an upright position.

Comment

talk about a yard sale

it's amazing we don't hear more about these dangers.

once had a leaking propane 5 gallon lead pot. valve wouldn't shut.

i slowly released all the gas outside the building. probably not the wise thing to do, but keeping in the building overnight would have been worse.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

and i have 2 b tanks in my truck
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
          and i have 2 b tanks in my truck

I retired mine a long time ago.

Now, in these pictures...

These were "leaking" tanks that led to the explosion, right?

Are we talking the leaking from the regulator that led to an over abundance of gas.....or something faulty with the tank itself?

I've been told to never lay a B or MC tank on its side due to the way the fill goes inside the bottle.

I've always been under the assumption that in order for a gas to become hazardous, like in a tank, there must be oxygen in the equation.

I'll be the first to admit that I constantly lay my tank on its side, and I've had my tank knocked over a lot that I cannot believe at some point never knocked the brass valve off the top and shot across the room.

Is there any OSHA reporting that shows how these explosions became so massive? Acetylene is a dangerous gas, no doubt, but I always shut my gas off with a key, along with backing the regulator all the way out, letting the remaining fuel out of the hose so I can roll the hose up easier.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Every welder knows acetylene tanks are always up. Acetylene can get in Your regulator and destroy it.

Back East We have full basements. One 5 gal propane tank leaked out Years ago.
            Lifted the whole house 2' in the air,and blew one wall in. Cape cod Mass. ,around 40 years ago, I believe.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Acetylene gas is unstable at low pressures, which is why you should never put your regulator up past 15 psi. In order to get 250 psi in the bottle, the acetylene is dissolved in acetone. You don't want the acetone getting into the regulator.

You are also supposed to change your hoses every year. 25 feet of green/red dual hose isn't very expensive. But most people I know don't change hoses often if at all. Now that we're talking about acetylene safety, I'm changing my hoses tomorrow. USA hose, of course.

As an aside, it should be noted that if you're using a large rosebud or a big welding head and you can smell acetone, your flow rate is way too high. You need to manifold additional bottles together.

Any bottled gas is dangerous. But I always view an oxygen bottle at 2000 psi to be the scariest. If it falls over and something knocks the regulator off, you have a 100 pound rocket that will tear through anything in its path. Store both your bottles chained to the wall or the bench, cart and all, so they can't fall over!
              Last edited by Andy_M; 02-12-2010, 11:24 PM.

Comment

One thing I saw, now that I'm in the entertainment/festival/concert biz with my other companies...?

Helium tanks not properly chained up at these events. Most if not all were standing with little or no proper attachments to the already unstable booths along with other areas.

I even made comments about this and I was blown off by this recommendation.

But I saw nylon strings, rubber strapping and rarely metal chains used to properly keep these tanks from tipping over.

If one falls and the brass valve snaps off, it's no different than one huge bullet.

I thought I was told that helium tanks (the large ones) are set to 1000-1500 pound fills?

Anyone know the specs on that?
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                  Acetylene gas is unstable at low pressures, which is why you should never put your regulator up past 15 psi. In order to get 250 psi in the bottle, the acetylene is dissolved in acetone. You don't want the acetone getting into the regulator.

You are also supposed to change your hoses every year. 25 feet of green/red dual hose isn't very expensive. But most people I know don't change hoses often if at all. Now that we're talking about acetylene safety, I'm changing my hoses tomorrow. USA hose, of course.

As an aside, it should be noted that if you're using a large rosebud or a big welding head and you can smell acetone, your flow rate is way too high. You need to manifold additional bottles together.

Any bottled gas is dangerous. But I always view an oxygen bottle at 2000 psi to be the scariest. If it falls over and something knocks the regulator off, you have a 100 pound rocket that will tear through anything in its path. Store both your bottles chained to the wall or the bench, cart and all, so they can't fall over!
                  Andy, Acetone in the regulator is not the issue with flipping a bottle it is the Diatomacious earth that will actually clog the regulator

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                    I've always been under the assumption that in order for a gas to become hazardous, like in a tank, there must be oxygen in the equation.
                    If you look at the Properties for Acetylene in that link you will see...

Flammable Limits : 2.3-100%

That means that the only time you cannot get Acetylene to burn is when the concentration is less than 2.3%. That is a fairly wide range where it will burn and we all know that Acetylene lights off with a bit of a pop...
                    411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Working...
                    X