X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSHA to continue required testing by NRTLs

OSHA will continue requiring independent safety testing for electrical devices
    OSHA announced that it will not abandon its system for ensuring that electrical products used in the workplace are safe. The European Union requested that OSHA explore the possibility of adopting its system, known as Supplier's Declaration of Conformity. Under the EU system, manufacturers declare that their products meet safety requirements before placing these products on the market, thus requiring EU governments to operate a post-market surveillance system to verify whether products are safety compliant after they already are on the market.
    Currently, OSHA requires employers to use electrical devices tested and certified by independent testing companies known as Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories. These companies conduct tests to determine whether products are safe before manufacturers or distributors place them on the market and employers use them in the workplace. See the news release for more information.

-----------------

I am glad to see OSHA did not cave in and will still require these devices to be tested BEFORE they are used in the field. From the description above the way the EU does it you are trusting the manufacturer's claim that the device is safe. Sorry but their (read ANY company) overall track record in this area is poor at best.

We should all be glad that OSHA has stuck to the current standard here in the US, I believe our Canadian friends to the north operate the same way we do. I know that their testing lab certifications are accepted here as the equivalent of our labs such as UL.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 01-26-2011, 06:08 AM. Reason: fixed a spelling error
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: OSHA to continue required testing by NRTLs

Thanks for the post.

I totally agree with you. After working in heavy industry for most of my career, I can just imagine the hazards that would be "pushed out the door" with a self-policing policy.

All you have to do is look at our food and drug production to know well that Federal, State, and local government regulations couldn't possibly keep up with it's investigations and testing of products that have already shipped.

See that "UL" and/or "SA" on the products we buy is most assuring. I wish the "FCC-type acceptance" rules were as stringently applied via independant labs. There's a lot of junk that causes interference. One doesn't have to look hard to see the risk, if "UL" suddenly wasn't required or simply had a "pending" status.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

Working...
    X