ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dang nabit i did it good well bad this time.i am in the shop making one of those stands that go behind the toilet used miter saw table saw drill and routerdid any of these tools get me ...........NOOOOOOO! it was the lossy chisle ugh how dumb could i be i know it is sharp after all it is brand new ugh i feel so dumb! i just made two doors and i was seting in the hinges and had my thumb over the edge and the dang thing sliped and got my thumb right behing the nail though to the knuckle(did i mention ouch) so now that i have bleed over my shop my tools my house my truck the hospital the poor nurse and doctor i now have 28 stiches and a very big mess to clean up and another door to make as the one i was making is stained red and i really wanted the clear pine look oh well it is always the things that you dont think will get you .................gets you could have be worse but just goes to show you that i am just human
    9/11/01, never forget.

OSC,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune! I hope that you will heal quickly to get back up on that "door". Ironically I was just feeling sorry for my self for having bashed a few fingers and rubbed a knuckle off while trying to remove an old faucet during a bathroom remodel. Now I certainly do not feel bad at all and will get back to work!

No offense, but thanks for making me feel better!

WWS
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Me too

Yesterday I milled 8 mortises in the legs for my new end table. Easy enough, but needed some clean up. I got up early this morning, sharpened my chisels and started the fine tuning. My wife and dog were sleeping in a bit and I would occasionally go inside to make sure the dog wasn't at the back door with her legs crossed waiting to go outside. Back in the shop I continued my clean-up with the chisels. I love using chisels and block planes - it really gives me the sense that the project is handmade.
      It was so simple. Just a little push on the chisel to take that bit of wood off and... it was like a slow motion scene in the movies. I saw the blade of the 1/4" chisel slide right through the top of the base my left thumb.

The wife takes me to the ER.

I can't move my thumb up. I can press it into my palm, but it just stays there. I cut through the tendons. I only have three loose stitches so it won't heal. On Monday the orthopedic surgeon will cut those off and schedule a time to operate on my hand next week.

Lack of coffee? Lack of concentration? Lack of common sense. Yes. Mostly a lack of awareness that comes with repetitiveness. A lack of respect of a simple, but dangerous, tool.

I know better. I knew better. Why did this happen to me. Please don't think it can't happen to you. If any part of your anatomy is in the line of force of a sharp edge, it is in danger.

OSC.. I hope you heal soon and well. I understand your pain.

Chris

Comment

Chris and Chevy

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes and hope you both heal soon. It is very coincidental that you were both injured by the same non-powered tool, I wonder if we too easily let our guard down when we grab a tool that is not spinning a blade or bit. The only positive that may come of your pain is the reinforcement to the rest of us that we need to keep alert no matter how trivial the task may seem in the shop.

Heal soon

Woodslayer

Comment

I'm lucky to not have stitches for any of my cuts but if have learned you don't have a conduit bender on a shopping/parts cart. I hit a bump my conduit bender bounced off the cart and swung down over my fingers. I'm now waiting for my finger nail to grow back. The old one is still attached and after a month hasn't fallen of.

woodslayer is right i have never cut myself on a spinning blade or power tool, but a metal pipe with a GB bender head still hurts.
          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

osc, i know how it feels to hurt yourself in your own trade. i burned the skin off 2 of my fingers about 6 months ago. this on a soldering job i could normally do without direct eye contact. well it's all healed and looks good as new.

i guess the torch was getting jealous that the propress was being used more than it

how is this going to affect your new plumbing job?

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

rick i am not sure if it will or not.i will go in and this is not something that i can hide but since i am just a grunt playing with a shovel it more than likely wont affect me very much at all.oh and rick thanks for remembering that i just recently joined the plumbing force
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

You're gonna look real good on Monday when the OSHA Inspector shows up.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

hummm good point there bob?oh well i guess i will just have to tell them the truth as if i do lie about it how it happen and they find out i wont be very creitable to them would i?also it does sound much worse then it looks the doctor did a great job of sewwing me back up,as i look back on it now i guess i was having a tim the tool man taylor moment lol
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

the stiches came out today .............................. but i am still avoiding the chisel as i think it is out to get me!!!
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

walking accidents

It seems this forum is full of walking accidents. You guys do me a favor and stay off my jobsites.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy
                        the stiches came out today .............................. but i am still avoiding the chisel as i think it is out to get me!!!
                        Just buy a new one that don't know ya, and make sure ya don't store it with the other one or it will learn to bite you the next time you use it. LMAO Glad your healing up.
                        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by BigThom
                          It seems this forum is full of walking accidents. You guys do me a favor and stay off my jobsites.
                          yeah big thom do me a favor and bite me! i have been a carpenter and a bissness owner for the last 14 year with a ZERO!accident report in all those years and because i make mistake one time and deside to let everyone here know about it and the the fact that it isn't always a power tool that gets you i am an accident waiting to happen? i am so sorry that your holyer then thou self is so much better than the rest of the world but becase of this post of yours i think you are just a son of a BIT@H! I ALSO HOPE WHEN YOU DO MESS UP IT IS IN FRONT OF EVERY ONE THAT YOU WORK WITH AS YOU ARE TELLING THEM HOW CAREFULL YOU ARE!!!! and in closeing i don't really mean any harm but that really did rub me the wrong way
                          Last edited by oldslowchevy; 03-27-2006, 06:10 PM.
                          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Maybe if you hadn't been coveting someone else's new Shiny joiner! then your chisel wouldn't be out to get ya!

I've never had injures like that but my 7 month record with no shocks was just broken twice last week. The first was when i had to work on something live and the other was when in a old house all the breakers were "OFF" yet something was still hot!

Big thorn Accident's sometimes happen and just warning you you're next.
                            "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                            "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

OSC, Hey I agree with you. There is always someone who has never been hurt on a job site. Or atleast one that doesn't report it. Everyone I work with has either smashed a finger with a hammer or shot them selves with a nail gun. Or if you are privilaged like get shot by some one else.(leg, arm, neck, and the head) The one person who brags about never beening injured is usualy the one that will lose a limb.
                              Life is like drywall, if you make a mistake, use extra mud.

Comment

Working...
                              X