drinking and walking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drinking and walking

sounds dumb i know but i am watching the news at the moment and this happen in my town yesterday "a 63 year old man was walking home from the local bar yesterday when he stumbled onto the highway and a young girl (20 something i missed that)on her way home fromwork stuck and killed the man who was wearing black pants and a brown shirt is being brought up on charges of vehicler homiside. hummm folks i don't quite know what to thank about this so please tell me that this is just plain insane a person who is drunk walks in to traiffic a highway no less and the driver coming home from work is going to jail what the frek is that?
    9/11/01, never forget.

My feeling about this is that if they did an autopsy on the old man and found high amounts of alcohol present and the man was walking late at night in dark clothes... I would have thrown it out! There is a reason people are told to wear bright closes at night even if it the speed limit is only 25 a kid in black clothes can still run into the street and get killed.

Who elected these monkeys that make some of our laws anyway????
    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

I found myself in a similar situation, didn't kill the guy but wanted to later!
      I was backing into a parking space and this guy comes around the back of my car pissed about something I motion him to get out of the way and he moves around to the drivers side I park and he comes over and reaches through the window and grabs me buy the tie, startled I drove my fist into his jaw causing his head to hit the roof and the back of his head to hit the door as he left. The guy kept yelling as he has going away and by the time I got out of the car he was well on his way. I thought that was really bizarre and left it at that. A week later the cops show up at my door and I get charged with hit and run and assault! Cost me $1500 for a lawyer to get me out of it, turns out this jerk has a history of doing this but if I didn't get a lawyer I would have been screwed.
      This girl will likely have the charges dropped but not before she spends a bunch of money which is the real crime

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy
        ... "a 63 year old man was walking home from the local bar yesterday when he stumbled onto the highway and a young girl (20 something i missed that) on her way home from work stuck and killed the man who was wearing black pants and a brown shirt is being brought up on charges of vehicler homiside.
        The first part that I bolded is NOT the problem here! We have "don't drink and drive" drilled into our heads everyday. This fellow was just doing what he thought he should do, although, once he got his buzz, he could have cared less about what he was dressed in.

The real problem here is the driver. When you operate a motor vehicle, YOU are responsible for operating it in a safe manner. Period.
        You can't blame this on a drunk pedestrian or dark clothes or the late hour. You can blame this on an inattentive driver. IMHO she should be charged with Vehicular Manslaughter with charges dismissed pending findings of his autopsy, and her drug test.
        Phil
        Tools Rule

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG.
          The real problem here is the driver. When you operate a motor vehicle, YOU are responsible for operating it in a safe manner. Period.
          You can't blame this on a drunk pedestrian or dark clothes or the late hour.
          I'll have to disagree here. I'm a traffic engineer and will tell you that the stopping time for an average vehicle travelling 35 mph (51.4 ft/sec) is about 3.5-4.0 seconds including perception/reaction time. If you figure that most car headlights project about 150'+/- where you can discern an object, at 35 mph, that only gives you slightly under 3 seconds to see, discern, react and brake. At night with the pedestrian in dark clothing the perception time would be greatly increased. Especially since the headlights would have to illumine the object more than just at the shoes, ie the headlights would have to "climb" the object before the driver could perceive the hazard. Given that the driver didn't have a chance, she was probably less than 100 feet from the person when she finally realized what was there. IHMO she should not have even been ticketed, unless she too was toasty.
          Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Working...
          X