X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you remember when this place was hopping?

When I first joined this forum this place didn't go 1 minute without a new post.
    What happened?
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Unfortunately for awhile there we had a ton of 1 post trolls who did nothing positive for the BB. The switch from Emerson made to OWT made also created many negative threads. I think many people just plain got tired of seeing very little but negative threads there for awhile and just went somewhere else. We lost some very knowledgeable people a couple of years ago but since that time we've also gained many very knowledgeable new members.

My opinion of the BB is that it's very healthy and doing just fine. Josh has added more forums than there were in the past so it may seem like there is less traffic but in reality there may be more traffic. It's also possible that people are using the Search feature more too.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

i was on vacation last week

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I think all forums and chats go through cycles people come and go just as they do in your own personal life. I myself have been shall we say, cranky on here, but It really sucks buying a tool and it not work as properly as it should. I think alot of one time posters felt/feel the same way and needed to vent at what they thought would be a place that would get Ridgids attention as it is there site.
        I'm pleased with the Jointer/Planer I bought and do post positively on it when people ask about it. But I won't post positive things when asked about a poor tool. I'm an up front kinda guy, I tell it like it is.
        Basically this is a form of advertising for Ridgid, a cheap form compared to say advertising during the Superbowl.
        Looking in the archives from when this forum first started, I noticed youd see all kindas of ridgid reps, but you dont see them here much now, they no longer answer posts or try to help resolve issues, and thats a shame. It would be nice to see them return and mingle with the customers who by way of purchasing there products in essence pay there saleries, working one on one with problems, I know thats what CS is for but having the actual higher up's here would do alot to show they actually care about there customers and there product lines. Oh I know some one will say what company does that,not many, but it goes along way in keeping a happy customer base and a happy customer is a repeat customer. It's kinda unsettleing when a guy who actually works for Ridgid , comes in here and has to ask if a Remanufactured drill press (With his employee Discount no less)is actually worth buying for his father, I had to laugh at that one and just shake my head. Not a confidence builder by no means .
        The people here are nice , things will go full circle, highs and lows, just as in life.
        Whats "BB" stand for Badger?
        Welcome back Rick, hope you had a Great vacation.

Comment

I'd been thinking the same thing....seems to be lighter traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by American and Proud View Post
            Looking in the archives from when this forum first started, I noticed youd see all kindas of ridgid reps, but you dont see them here much now

I think the vast majority of those posts from the archives were from customer service reps for the woodworking power tools, which is what the majority of the forum members then and now are interested in. Since the move to the current woodworking power tool vendor, they are not in the loop any more (as far as I know) and no one from there participates here (again, that I know of.)

You do have Ridge Tool tech service monitoring the forums for products we make. You'll see Adam on here frequently answering questions for plumbing products.

Steve

[edit]
            Oh, and by the way. When Josh asked about the drill press for his father, why do you find that funny or unusual? Josh is an IT guy, and doesn't usually work with the factory or engineering side of the business. Everyone here doesn't know every detail about our products. Also remember that the drill presses are not made by Ridge Tool, so we never see them. They don't come through the plant here, and we don't design them. So for the most part, most of us have never seen the RIDGID woodworking products unless we happen to check them out at Home Depot. Everyone isn't an enthusiast about where they work. The fact that Josh and his Dad enjoy woodworking is completely irrelevant to him working at Ridge Tool.
            Last edited by smorris; 11-17-2006, 03:30 PM.
            Steve
            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I'm fairly new here so I really can't comment on how busy the forum is now compared to a few years ago. But, based on the activity I've seen here in the last month, I'd say this forum is pretty healthy and doing o.k.

Rick
              Rick in Cowichan Bay, B.C., Canada
              http://www.rickswoodworking.ca

Comment

Since I frequent the woodworking side , that would have been the archives I noticed them in, maybe it would be a good idea to get them to participate once again. No matter who makes them Ridgids name is on them.Techs on here still for plumbers is good for them, does nothing for the customers buying the woodworking tools from Ridgid. I know he works for ridgid and his title on here is "Adminstrator", and figured if anyone would or should know weather the ridgid tools were worth buying or not , he'd have a little more insider info on that than most here would, sure someone may use it and give there opinion, just seems working there and a woodworker himself he should know more than the average customer would know , like why and just how many were ending up in a "Reconditioned" state what percentages, to base his decision on, IT guy or not by working for Ridgid he'd know who to ask within the company or who to call, I wasn't the only one who thought it was funny if you go back and read the post. I meant no disrespect to Josh , just found it odd he'd have to ask whether the company he is working for is making tools worthy of his hard earned cash, not a confidence builder if one of the employees has to ask that.IMHO

Comment

Call for Jake Schnarre.........yo Jake.............where's Jake?.............anyone seen Jake?
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I know what this place needs........

Comment

LMAO ya there we go a lil music!LOL

Comment

I know we make good products. Like smorris said we dont really get any hands on time with our woodworking products at the Elyria plant. I would buy any of our plumbing tools site unseen. I also believe our woodworking tools our some of the best out there. I just wanted to ask you guys what you thought of the drill press. My dad is not a heavy use of his tools and I wanted to make sure spending a couple hundred bucks on a standing unit vs. some cheapy from harbor freight was the right decision. There are people out there who don't need ridgid woodworking tools. They can buy something cheaper and less functional. There are also guys who need more than our tools and are willing to spend 5 times as much.

I just wanted to ask what you guys thought. I was never offended by you guys asking why I even had to ask if I worked here. I ended up buying the drill press. I like researching my big purchases and that includes researching our own products. I expected that opinion of the unit was high but I didnt want to make that assumption.

BTW.. activity on the forums is actually up as far as number of posters and number of posts. yes when jake was still around he posted answers to every question/comment/thread out there. The forum is starting to make its own steam and we have a lot of knowledgable users on here who own and user our tools every day.

Josh

Comment

smorris brings up some good points that probably most of us have not considered (at least I have not always done so), and that is that people working for Ridgid, being the large company that it is, are often times far removed from a product line or have no connection to it at all other than it is a product sold by the company they work for.

I was in HD the other day and saw a young woman sprucing up the Ridgid stationary powertool display area. Did she work for HD or Ridgid? I don't know for sure. She may be a TTI employee I think based on her attire, she wore a "Team TTI" logo'd shirt. I didn't stop to talk to her so I am purely quessing though.

SO now I wonder who maintains the displays at HD. I know others have said they have talked to the Ridgid rep when they come across them in the stores, does TTI also provide field reps that visit the various HD stores?
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Since I frequent the woodworking side , that would have been the archives I noticed them in, maybe it would be a good idea to get them to participate once again.
                            You misunderstand what I meant. The people on here giving feedback from the Ridgid side were associated with the company that manufactured the tools at that time. Since that company doesn't make the tools anymore, there would be no reason for them to support the current product.

I'm assuming you are talking about Jake. The forum old timers can probably better comment that I on his employer (We did not have Internet access at the time, so could not participate on the forum.) Did Jake work for OTC, Emerson Special Products, or was he a Ridge Tool employee? I was under the impression he represented OTC. So what you are asking, A&P, would be similar to asking a Skil customer service rep to continue answering questions about Ridgid drills after we changed to Bosch as a supplier.

I meant no disrespect to Josh , just found it odd he'd have to ask whether the company he is working for is making tools worthy of his hard earned cash, not a confidence builder if one of the employees has to ask that.IMHO
                            I understood what you meant. I just wanted to make it clear that the company he works for does *not* make the tools he was asking about, so his knowledge of them should not reflect on the subject one way or another.

If I were the watch salesman at a large department store, I really would have no clue as to how well the washing machines the same store sold worked, so if I wanted to know, would I ask the washing machine sales person, or a forum of dedicated washing machine enthusiasts? Silly example, but really it provides an example as to why Josh might have decided to ask y'all about the drill press.
                            Last edited by smorris; 11-17-2006, 03:27 PM.
                            Steve
                            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Points well taken, but I’m still cracking up at the words of C M W…….More Cowbell!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X