No announcement yet.

What is Your #1 Tool-Related Pet Peeve?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Your #1 Tool-Related Pet Peeve?

Me First...

People who pile up the table saw with stuff. You know, those that drop anything and everything on the TS if they're in an arm's reach because it's there and a convenient spot to put stuff. (wives - are you listening?)

"Hey just because it looks like a table doesn't mean you can put stuff on it!"
    Phil
    Tools Rule

Spent 30 minutes trying to find my fold up saw horses, gave up and then couldn't find some Maple boards I had milled for a job. Found both in the house basement, LOML made a table to store some plants on for the winter.

Comment

cords

i hate when some one wont wrap up a power cord then tries to stuff it back into the under sized case, and if the case is long gone then the don't even bother wraping the cord around the tool just leaving it dangle all over the place GRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

they ignore lefties!

I hate using power tools designed by right handed engineers for right handed people and they ignore the left handed user!!
        I am left handed and more often than not I end up using a power tool in an unsafe manner. I do use my right hand but I'm left hand dominant.

I do have some tools that are made for left handed users..thank you Porter Cable!

Even the so called ambidextrous type tools like a drill often have the grips set for a right handed person.

and what ever happened to the ridgid left handed hammer?

Finally... the introduction of the myriad of different screw types..pozidrive, Phillips, straight slot, reed and prince, Robertson [square drive], torx, clutch, tamper-proof etc.

That's fine and dandy but go to Home Depot or other local store and try to find driver bits or screw drivers that mate!

Cactus Man

Comment

Tools that aren't orange and don't come with a lifetime guarantee!
          Other than that, tools that don't come with industry standard upgrades. My wife got me the $89 HF dust collector (green mini) and HF doesn't make a <30 mic replacement. I guess I shouldn't complain, She overheard me mention one day how nice a dust collector would be. Now I have to make a filter box, and the unit isn't as portable.
          Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

I agree with cactus-man on the "right-hand" tools, even tho I am basically right-handed. My gripe is with the safety switches that can't be used when you need to use the left hand.

Other than that it is measuring tools. Half the tape measures are not accurate, squares aren't square and levels aren't level. Its a pity the customer has to do the mnfgr's quality control checks in the store before buying it, and half the tools are packaged so it is impossible to check them.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Geez, Don't Get Me Started!!!

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
              I hate using power tools designed by right handed engineers for right handed people and they ignore the left handed user!!
              I am left handed and more often than not I end up using a power tool in an unsafe manner. I do use my right hand but I'm left hand dominant.

I do have some tools that are made for left handed users..thank you Porter Cable!

Even the so called ambidextrous type tools like a drill often have the grips set for a right handed person.

and what ever happened to the ridgid left handed hammer?

Cactus Man
              I concur 100% about the left-handed thing!!! Not only are we left handed, but we are right brained too! It's not just the physical aspect of using the tool we are wired to this stuff differently too. We subconsciencely put our faces, fingers and other parts of our anatomy in harms way because these things just plain don't fit! It is not the same when some right-handed engineer uses a gadget for 30 seconds with his left hand and declares it OK.
              Some tools fit us so poorly, I'm surprised there aren't more severed fingers etc. And I'm also surprised that the accident reports that must be answered when an event occurs haven't got questions about your dominant side on them. Who knows, maybe there are studies about just this stuff. Perhaps in the future we'll have ADA protection for this "disability".

Knock Knock Knock - Tool Manufacturers are you listening?

Sorry for hijacking my own thread with this digression.
              Phil
              Tools Rule

Comment

Back on Track...

Just one more of my pet peeves.

People (usually at work) who use the dolly or cart and leave them piled up with crap. You know - next time you need to use it - it must be unloaded before you can use it!

The cart or dolly was made to transport the goods, not to store them.
                Phil
                Tools Rule

Comment

Cactusman

Please go download and print out this catalog. APEX makes all kinds of wild tools, hex and power bits for us that have to deal with all the many many different kinds of fasteners. APEX is a part of Cooper Industries. You can find (or order) their products from Industrial Supply houses.

http://www.coopertools.com/catalog/p.../TC-100_EN.pdf

A good German brand is WIHA. Their web site is www.wihatools.com and they will sell to anyone directly though their USA sales office. Their interactive web site is their big catalog online. You can sometimes find their tools at electronics parts dealers, industrial tools dealers, tools and supply houses and places that sell tools to camera repair shops. Heck, It's less trouble to buy directly from their site. Check for their "Special Deals" too.

Comment

Speaking about left handed people, how about a computer mouse that's seriously made for left hands? I've been bugging Logitech for years on that. One that's "Plug & Play" with a USB connection so you can actually do two mice at once. One in each hand!!! Yes, you can use their software and setup a mouse so the buttons work with a left hand. Then anyone that's right handed cusses because it works backwards. I want to see a TRUE left hand mouse made. There's no doubt in my mind it would be one big seller if designed and made correctly.

Logitech: You must have left handed people design and test it before production. I'm right handed myself, but know many left handed people that are waiting and waiting for such.

Ridgid take note: You need to make hand tools that actually fit left hands well. NO NO NO I do not mean universal tools. I mean that are really made to fit left human hands.

Comment

1. routers that don't have a collet that extends through the table
                      2. routers with no lights
                      3. routers that require two hands to change bits
                      4. routers with no option to have the switch near the handles
                      5. stationary table saws with the motor sticking out the back
                      6. indexed planer blades that don't allow any lateral adjustment to offset nicks
                      There are examples of competitively priced tools currently on the market that address each of my complaints...can't understand why they aren't standard features....there's no advantage to not having them, and the cost to manufacture the feature in should be extremely low.

Comment

Extremely heavy shop equipment that is not mobile right out of the box.
                        Phil
                        Tools Rule

Comment

more.....pet peeves

I find it very aggravating when I read posts on this reflector [and other reflectors] that the person posting can't spell or write a proper sentence!

It is scary to have uneducated people use power tools, since it's obvious they are unable to read the manuals or safety warnings!

To be fair...fingers slip on the keyboard. Let me suggest you proof read your rant before hitting the enter button. You then can correct the horrid spelling and poor grammar. you also have a spell checker on the computer to help you with the easy words. Worse case, there is a book out to help you spell it's called a dictionary!

the words to, too, two, all have different meaning and uses, just as its and it's!

"It's" means IT IS
                          "ITS" means ownership relating to it, or itself

I also find the "cute" abbreviations a nuisance as this site does not provide a dictionary to explain what they mean! Are we so lazy that a few extra keystrokes to spell out the entire word and correctly is that difficult?

You don't believe me?

just read the posts here and you'll [that is you will]
                          observe everything I have [that is I've] said.

vowels and consonants were invented for a reason! let's use them corerectly.

Cactus Man

Comment

poeple with better than thou attatudes(yup i know it is spelled wrong)

yous no's what i don't lake, i's don't like it whens someones don't like the way i be spelling and talkin. i no's i don't spel very goood but's i be tring to give yous all the best advice i can, i'd even had made funds of myself two abouts me spelin. but really i know know it is not very good also i don't try to hide who i am i am a what you see is what you get so yeah i mights need me some more of the edge-a-ma-ca-tion but feel i give good advise when i do give it and thank you very little
                            Last edited by oldslowchevy; 11-24-2006, 05:14 PM.
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Eye halve a spelling checker. It came with my pea sea. It plainly marks four my revue Miss steaks eye kin knot sea. Eye strike a key and type a word And weight four it two say Weather eye am wrong oar write. It shows me strait a weigh. As soon as a mist ache is maid. It nose bee fore two long and eye can put the error rite. Its rare lea ever wrong. Eye have run this poem threw it. I am shore your pleased two no. Its letter perfect awl the weigh. My checker tolled me sew.
                              SSG, U.S. Army
                              Retired
                              K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Working...
                              X