I am now a member!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigworm View Post
    Oh I see. Well I checked around and I am happy with my pick up. I think I got a great deal and look forward to this website for help along the way.
    As I said, I wish you the best bigworm. Josh is correct, I'm not a fan of Ridgid power tools. But I have nothing against you. Let's all get along, but express our opinions.

Live free/Live happy. All the best to you family.
    the dog

Comment

Its ok I understand. If I may ask what is your problem with the power tools? I take it you got a bad tool and that left a bad taste in your mouth for Ridgid power tools?

Comment

Ridgid Tools and China

I have a Ridgid MS1060 10"Miter saw assembled in USA and a R-1000 grinder(metabo) made in germany. Now that Ridgid power tools are all china,I'll pass. I was very dissapointed to see Milwaukee hole hawg replaced at Home Depot w/ a Ridgid Knock-off. I wish big worm luck and enjoyment w/ his tools. I just do not like how Ridgid used Metabo to start oiut and then switched to chinese tools. I do however have a Makita 14.4 impact driver made in china that I enjoy. We should remember differant strokes for differant folks-everyone has their own unique power tool needs.
        You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigworm View Post
          Its ok I understand. If I may ask what is your problem with the power tools? I take it you got a bad tool and that left a bad taste in your mouth for Ridgid power tools?
          My problem with Ridgid power tools (and I'm speaking here of the orange tools sold at home depot----not the pipe threading equipment they manufacture themselves) is that they are not made very well and do not perform very well.

As a construction pro I have had the advantage of seeing every brand of power tool used in heavy-duty applications, and used extensively. After a while you get a pretty good idea of which tools last the longest and perform the best.

In my opinion Ridgid power tools do not hold up or perform well in these situations. What do I base this on?

1) When Ridgid first introduced this line many companies and workers bought them based on the Ridgid reputation. As you this date I see few if any on a jobsite. Keep in mind I work on construction sites with hundreds of workers.

2) I personally owned a cordless sawzall. Within the first two months the blade chuck was sticking. The batteries lasted about half the time of a Milwaukee or Dewalt. It was much more difficult to control then any of the other brands I have used.

3) I know two people who have owned 1/2" electric drills. Both had problems with the chuck seizing. One took his back, exchanged it, and in a week had the same problem.

4) I have discussed Ridgid power tools with numerous fellow tradesmen who have owned them, I know of only one who is happy with his puchase.

All that said,

I understand that not every person is a professional. The person who buys his tools for light handyman duty around the house does not necessarily need heavy duty tools. My argument with Ridgid is that they are pricing their line as if it is a professional heavy-duty tool line. It is not.

Therefore, I just don't see Ridgid power tools as a good value.

As for the warrenty issue, see the numerous posts on this forum.

As for tools made in China, I don't think it's an issue, because almost all of the power tools are made in China.
          the dog

Comment

Plumbdog,Almost all power tools are not made in china,at least not yet(though it's getting closer and closer every day). Examples:Milwaukee-USA,Bosch-Switzerland and germany,Fein-germany,Festool-Germany,Makita-JapaN and so on.. These companies also offer chinese tools at the lower end of their lines.

Comment

I'll go with "The Dog" on this one! You rarely see Ridgid Power Tools in Scandinavia, but when I do, I'm not really impressed, not by owners reactions either. It's not like the hand tools (USA made) that are superb. If I've got "a job" on, then I'll go for Ridgid every time. However my power tools are AEG/Atlas-Copco, or Bosch. German or Swiss made. These are often working at their limits for long periods, but no problems. AEG even sent me a new commutator for my 30 year old 350W hand drill, that I use for high-precision work in tight corners, & "weird stuff".
              I would have suggested that a power tool with the "Ridgid" name, must be:-
              1, Made in the USA.
              2, Precise & Durable, a tad better than the rest, even if it's a bit bigger, heavier, and more expensive.

Comment

RiR;I am envious of you!!!!I would love to use AEG tools. Used to be avaible in the states but no more!!!!!!Nice tools(AEG)!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Akita View Post
                  Plumbdog,Almost all power tools are not made in china,at least not yet(though it's getting closer and closer every day). Examples:Milwaukee-USA,Bosch-Switzerland and germany,Fein-germany,Festool-Germany,Makita-JapaN and so on.. These companies also offer chinese tools at the lower end of their lines.

I agree. You were right, I was wrong. I should have said "foreign made", which is what I meant, but dropped the ball on.

Thank you for correcting me. Your's was a very astute comment.

I stand corrected.
                  the dog

Comment

Plumbdog your quite welcome!!!!I seek out USA,German Swiss,Japanese tools on clearance and scarf em up. I figure get em now before they ride off in the sunset,never to be found again.

Comment

Hmm... this is somewhat discouraging.

I've been sticking to Ridgid power tools because they haven't done me wrong yet. My first one was the angle grinder, then I got the 3/8" drill. Then I had to go to the US (I live in Canada) to get the impact wrench since they don't sell them here and I couldn't find another brand that had remotely close to 450 ft-lbs.

Now I just recently got a shop vac.

Now I only use this stuff for jobs around the house and automotive stuff now and then, but they've all served me well and never given me any cause for concern.

Should I be switching to another brand going forward?

Comment

Working...
                      X