X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i got a new .... well old toy

i just picked this saw up for $200 did i do good or what???? i will find out more about it this week end when it gets here and look there is a brake padel for the blade
    9/11/01, never forget.

Steals ..er.. Deals like that are what urban legends are made of!! You may want to go buy some Lotto tickets if your luck is runnin' that good.

Yeah, I'd say you did g-o-o-d!!

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

i was told by a friend of mine the the school system was having an acktion so whent to check it out and, glad i did!!!! i got this saw for $200 the motor is a 220v 1 phaze saw and i am told that this is a dual arbor saw???? and yes it is heavy at 950 lbs so once it gets here it will be fun putting it in my shop also i was told that it was made in the U.S.A. around 1930. it sould be here tomarrow though
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Pro-rated.

OSC,
        Hope you realize that your 76 year-old saw with proper care, maintenance, lube and TLC will last, hmmmm, probably about another 100 years. (That thing's built like a truck!). Sooooo, that $200 price tag, pro-rated over the next 100 years, that's about $2 per year for that nice piece of equipment. So, I'd say you got yourself a deal and a half, and then some. NICE SCORE! I think I'm turning green with envy. Oh no, that's just the color of the saw. Have fun with your new toy.
        Jim Don

Comment

OSC, go here are read about this saw:

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=5384

I think you got yourself a bigger find than you know, and judging from the condition in your photo, maybe the best preserved example of this machine in existence!! Yours does look slightly different from the one on the OWWM site, so maybe yours is an older or slightly newer model.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 12-02-2006, 10:31 AM.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I'll bet thar Old Slow Chevy helped the guy back to his daughter's car, and even carried his white stick, and gave his guide dog a dog biscuit!

(My appologies beforehand OSC, I know you're not that sort of guy, but the remark kind of fits most people!)

Comment

ok now it is here!!!!!! this thing is omg heavy!!!!! it has taken all most an hour to get off the truck and set in my shop and it is set dead center of the shop. i will have some chaneges such as the table tilts for angle cuts so an out feed table may be interesting. also this saw contans 2 14" blades and you crank a handle to get the blade you want at the top. now wher do i get 14" blades??? the saw should be up and running tomarrow so at that point i can start making some dust.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

OSC, don't rush into firing this thing up. Please take a minute to check out the wiring, switches, etc. and be sure they are in good shape.

Freud makes a number of 14" blades, check their website for the various models
                Last edited by Bob D.; 12-02-2006, 10:25 PM.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

thank bob and that is why it isn't running now i have a friend coming tomarrow to hook everything up(hard wire) and make sure all is good to go he says it may take up to 2-3 hours if all is well also i will be oiling/gressing every thing as well. but from what i have seen so far it should go together rather well. i did crank the blade up and down it is very low geared and smooooooth but i have not tilted the table yet.
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

IT RUNS IT RUNS MAH-HAHAHA!!!!!. i had to replace the on off switch (wound not shut off) and replaced the belts just so i could say the were new. this thing is a monster thought as it can rip a 4x4 in a single pass. i am haveing a hard time figuering out how to make the second blade come to the top and run (i can get it to the top but the blade on the bottom is powered)also the fence is slighty off and it is a rack and pinon type so i have a company coming out to ajust and educate me some about this saw. i am looking forward to having many years with this saw. many of you know as my hobby/workshop tools go i perfer the older tools and i belive this is the oldest in my colection. i have always wanted a table tilt saw since i saw one on the t.v. show the walton's many many years ago not sure what kind they had i just know mine is newer just by appearce. also bob i plan on painting just the very front edge of the table and use your old line(this is a table saw .... do you know wher your fingers are?) if you don't mind.
                    Last edited by oldslowchevy; 12-05-2006, 04:26 PM.
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Hey I don't mind at all. If it keeps you only once from getting in harms way, its served its purpose.

I hope you enjoy many safe and happy years with your new old toy OSC.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Working...
                      X