X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rigid Sliding Miter Saw Defect

It is now April 2009. Has the defect in the 1290lz1 been corrected? Does the 1290LZA address the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by rgfasick View Post
      It is now April 2009. Has the defect in the 1290lz1 been corrected? Does the 1290LZA address the issue?
      It must, I got mine in the fall of 08, and I love it. Perfectly straight and smooth right ouf of the box. Just like butter. I cut some 1x12 strips and with the blade fully extended I noticed no variation in cut. Followed the line dead on.

From the reviews I read of the new Dewalt Slider (DW718), it sounds like that is the one you should avoid. http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW718-H...owViewpoints=1

Comment

I have the same problem with my saw. I bought the saw in anticipation of a large reno job with my house and have had it for a period of time now. This problem reared it's head recently, I figured it was merely an adjustment issue but I still cannot get the thing to cut straight. I am not a happy camper to say the least. The saw now is basically a 12" chop saw, I can't trust it to make a straight cut.
        Last edited by barhop; 01-18-2010, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Still unable to correct the tracking of my saw. I'm hoping somebody has come up with a fix for this.

Comment

I have a LZ model from HD thats about 5 1/2 yrs old... and I'm disgusted. I thought that I was the only one with this tracking problem and now it appears that I;m not. I figured that I had done something wrong. You can square the fence and table all day long but the tubes will still track out of square when extended all the way out (to about 1/8" out of square!!) I'm going to contact a tech and see if I can't get a new power head from an "A" model sent out to see if the newly produced models have fixed this issue yet. It's as if the bearing that supports the powerhead were pressed in incorrectly or the casting was not correct, either way it's completely unacceptable to sell a miter saw that doesn't friggin cut straight. A 600$ Saw that can't cut a straight line is as good as scrap. I was young(er) when I bought this saw and thought it was the cats ***... big dual bevel with a friggin lazer on it's forehead.(which is also worthless btw) Now that I'm older and have wasted several hundred feet in crown cutoffs that didn't matchup and cursing my math and ability, I find that it wasn't me all along.... I found all this out today! five years later! OY! Do yourself a favor if you haven't already bought this boat anchor yet and get youself a mikita.

Comment

I realise this is an old thread, but wanted to add my two cents. I have an LZA model and am sad to report the same defect in the slider. I've used the saw for about three years now and always assumed that it was out of alignment & compensated by adjusting the angle of the cut.
              Finally decided to tackle the alignment, and having just put two hours into adjusting the gibs and fence I realised that it was just the slider tracking slightly to the right (moving from extended to retracted position). Finally got fed up and found this thread.
              Relieved I'm not crazy, but very disappointed that an otherwise great saw is useless for accurate cuts with the slider.
              Not sure if anyone has had good experience with Rigid or HD fixing this problem. If so I'd love to hear how this was resolved.

Comment

THis is a prime candidate for a class action lawsuit..
                I just realized the same thing..
                they need to fix it or give our money back...

Comment

Just stumbled on this thread and I think I have the same problem. All roll it out of the shop in the next day or so and make some cuts. It's been about a year since we used it but I seem to remember the last time we made long radial cuts they never seemed to fit right.

Comment

Its funny, I did the vertical alignment and the table alignment and thought it was good. Building cabinet doors and with a wider upper rail, the problem came out. I looked through the manual and did all the adjustment with the gibs. That did help out a little, but still not a good cut. If it hold the handle and push it to the left it is ok. I'm guessing I might be looking for another saw sometime, but until then just use it as a regular miter saw. If anyone has any other advise I would love to hear it. Thanks.

John

Comment

This thread has scared me a little bit. I don't have this CMS, but am glad I have come across this thread. I have a 10" bosch, but I am going to recheck it none-the-less. Typically, I cut a jointed scrap of lumber and check it with an engineer's square held up to sunlight (to look for a gap). How do you guys test for square?

Comment

I use the square also, but if I have 2 pieces cut, I will stand them up together. If its a smooth cut one way, I will flip one piece around and see if there is still a smooth cut across both. If not then the saw is out of square. I'm gonna tinker with my saw and have some ideas, not shown in the manual. I will keep posting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Graham View Post
                          I realise this is an old thread, but wanted to add my two cents. I have an LZA model and am sad to report the same defect in the slider. I've used the saw for about three years now and always assumed that it was out of alignment & compensated by adjusting the angle of the cut.
                          Finally decided to tackle the alignment, and having just put two hours into adjusting the gibs and fence I realised that it was just the slider tracking slightly to the right (moving from extended to retracted position). Finally got fed up and found this thread.
                          Relieved I'm not crazy, but very disappointed that an otherwise great saw is useless for accurate cuts with the slider.
                          Not sure if anyone has had good experience with Rigid or HD fixing this problem. If so I'd love to hear how this was resolved.
                          Pretty much my story exactly. Has anyone had any positive news about Ridgid volutarily resolving this issue?

Thanks
                          William

Comment

Working...
                          X