Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe they are both the same thing for the most part and do the same thing. From your link it appears the Dimpler bit is a trademark for that brand, where as I have always heard and used "dimpler" as a common term for that type of bit. I used one that looks exactly like Drywall Screw Setter in your link above and the packaging on mine calls it a Drywall Dimpler bit. The Dimpler Drywall Driver just appears to have more features such as the locking reverse and more "fancy" which most likely equals higher price. I did just fine with the other as the whole point is just to keep the screw from tearing through the paper and simply set to flush with the board with a slight "dimple" to mud over later. I think I paid $1.49 each for the ones I used. Personally, I have never even used this type of bit when working with cement or hardi board as those are usually strong enough that I can easily set the screws properly with little effort. You are going to be covering them with tile anyways so your mastic will easily cover any heads not flush as long as you at least get them reasonably close.
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      I wonder how many of those "junk" drywall screwdrivers were actually junk and how many were bought by dishonest people who used them for one home project then returned them?
      I'm sure there were some of those as well.

I handled a number of the returns where the customer returned the Ridgid and bought the Dewalt instead. The Dewalts work better, have been around for longer and are much lighter. If I decided to get into the drywall business I'd buy a Hilti.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        I wonder how many of those "junk" drywall screwdrivers were actually junk and how many were bought by dishonest people who used them for one home project then returned them?

I do agree with the others that your average person doesn't need a drywall screwdriver.

I can't imagine that the Ridgid drywall screwdriver would be all that bad, after all, all drywall screwdrivers are all more or less the same - a drill motor with a clutch/driver head. Hell, I had a cheap Ryobi and even it was pretty decent. Of course a better tool like a Bosch or Hilti is going to last much longer under professional use, but I don't think the Ridgid is necessarily "junk."

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          WW

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gnk.0&MID=9876
          Sorry but the above link is messed up. Newman's post is good.
          I hang a fair amount of drywall and all I use is a dimpler as pictured in the link above on an impact driver.
          I find the impact driver has all the speed I need, plus when the going gets tough, it has some real gunt without twisting my elbow off like an XRP

Comment

Hmm... sounds like I should probably pick up an impact driver and the dimpler bit. That's probably the best solution since I'll be able to use the impact driver for other stuff as well.

The VSR drill really isn't all that good for driving screws, right? Too easy to just strip them with it...

Comment

"The VSR drill really isn't all that good for driving screws, right? Too easy to just strip them with it..."

I think you will have better luck with a VSR drill/driver with a decent clutch than you will with an impact driver, most of which have no clutch AFAIK.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

My corded Ridgid drill has no clutch and a hair trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  "The VSR drill really isn't all that good for driving screws, right? Too easy to just strip them with it..."

I think you will have better luck with a VSR drill/driver with a decent clutch than you will with an impact driver, most of which have no clutch AFAIK.
                  With the dimpler you don't need a clutch. The dimpler pulls the driver out of the screw at just the right height.

Comment

Re: Do I need a drywall driver?

If you're just doing some small projects, just get a Drywall Dimpler at Home Depot. They fit right into your normal drill and work great. It's less than $20 and beats having to spend money on just a driver. www.drywalldriver.com

Comment

Working...
                    X