X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a drywall driver?

Ridgid has a drywall driver for $99 CAD.

Home Depot has a tool that you attach to a drill that essentially looks exactly the same for around $10.

Why would I pay $99 for the drywall driver when it looks just like my 3/8" Ridgid corded drill with that drywall attachment on the end of it?

Am I missing something here?

For anyone who's seem my thread about building a shower... I'm going to need something to attach the cement board...

The average home owner does not need a drywall gun. They have there advantages when your hanging drywall profesionaly. Higher RPM's, better clutch system, faster to put screws on the bit, ect.

The Ridgid drywall gun unless they changed it in the last couple years is junk. When working at Home Depot it was one of the most returned power tools.

Comment

WW

Unless you are really doing loads of screws all the time, I really think you can do pretty well with a 3/8 or 1/2 VSR drill either corded or cordless. You will want to get yourself a good magnetic hex bit holder for 1/4" hex insert bits and some good bits that are made for drywall screws. With a little practice and running your drill at a rather slow speed (especially at first) you'll soon catch on and be driving them like a pro. Take your time and use care.

Comment

Unless you are hanging drywall for a living, you don't really need a drywall gun. A halfway decent corded or cordless drill and one of these is all you need...

http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-Drywall...6?ie=UTF8&s=hi
        Last edited by Newman; 01-03-2007, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys, that's what I thought.

As for the bits themselves... is there something different about a drywall screw bit than the regular ol' #2 phillips bits? I saw you can buy them in cans with a whole pile of them. Do they round off quickly or something? Should I not just use a decent Snap-On bit for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
            Thanks guys, that's what I thought.

As for the bits themselves... is there something different about a drywall screw bit than the regular ol' #2 phillips bits? I saw you can buy them in cans with a whole pile of them. Do they round off quickly or something? Should I not just use a decent Snap-On bit for this?

Same #2 bits, but if you use a dimpler you are less likely to break through the paper facing on the drywall...

Comment

Just get the drywall dimpler and a good drill and practice. You will do fine. good luck....

Comment

WW

Take a look at this link. While at HD this is a catalog only item, I'm sure you can find one locally.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gnk.0&MID=9876
                Sorry but the above link is messed up. Newman's post is good.

The .JPG file is a pretty good picture of it. This special drywall bit should help you get the job done.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Woussko; 01-03-2007, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  WW

Take a look at this link. While at HD this is a catalog only item, I'm sure you can find one locally.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gnk.0&MID=9876

The .JPG file is a pretty good picture of it. This special drywall bit should help you get the job done.
                  This link doesn't work for me. Is it similar to the one Newman posted above?

Comment

I just hung about 60 sheets of drywall in my basement using my cordless drill and a drywall dimpler bit. I got two of the bits at my local ACE Hardware store, but have seen them at Lowes and HD as well. It worked fine for me. The drill gets heavy after a while, but I broke the work up across a few weekends in my spare time which helped. It worked fine for me. I would recommend that route for simple projects such as that. Be aware you should use the right screws for hanging cement/hardi board, espcially in a wet environment.
                    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to look for stainless coarse drywall screws, if such things exist. I know I need coarse drywall screws. I think it says that on the back of the backer board.

Comment

I just tried the link myself and find it's messed up. It is the same item as Newman posted only this is another brand.

You might try looking at my .JPG picture file.

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
                          The Ridgid drywall gun unless they changed it in the last couple years is junk. When working at Home Depot it was one of the most returned power tools.
                          I wonder how many of those "junk" drywall screwdrivers were actually junk and how many were bought by dishonest people who used them for one home project then returned them?

I do agree with the others that your average person doesn't need a drywall screwdriver.
                          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

This is what I had in mind. It's pretty much the same as what Newman posted only this is by Vermont American. I think I'll go back and remove the bad link(s) in my earlier posts. I'm having problems with the HD web site address today.

http://www.vermontamerican.com/Produ...e.htm?G=191451

Comment

What's the difference between the dimpler drywall driver and the drywall screw setter? Which would be more appropriate?

Comment

Working...
                              X