Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 6 months and 1 day ago

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
    wow i never thouth this thread would have got more the 3-6 posts max...
    Coz you hit a nerve, OSC. Most folks are pretty passionate about smoking, either for or against it. I quit twice; once for a year almost to the day, then I just bought a pack and started again. But the second time stuck, I haven't had a smoke for 20+ years. I remember making a list of smoking pros and cons...the pro column had one entry: smoking helps me relax. The con column got pretty full. And now, of course, I realize I can relax without pumping poisonous gas into my lungs, so the pro column would be empty.

Everyone who's trying to quit: just do it! You can do it, and you'll never be sorry you quit.

- djb
    sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

I smoked for 20+ years.last year had a reacuring pain in one lung in a certain area for months,quit and swore to myself not to go back.The thought of trying to fight lung cancer without health insurance can make a person take a long look at priorities.

its been six months,and I can see what OSC means about the difference a few months of being smoke free.

Can't wait to get back up to the sierra's and run some circles around some camping buddies this spring

Comment

well it has been well over a year now, and with every thing i have been though, i think i have a very very good chance of making it now, though belive it or not, there are times that the urge still hits. but i just look back and i just think to my self, yup...... i'm a quitter.... and darn proud of it.

now i need to start getting back in shape, that is my next goal i would like to drop 6o pounds in the next two years so i can be at 200 again. i don't want to lose it to fast as i might pick it back up even faster, and i don't want that.
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

well it has been well over a year now, and with every thing i have been though, i think i have a very very good chance of making it now, though belive it or not, there are times that the urge still hits. but i just look back and i just think to my self, yup...... i'm a quitter.... and darn proud of it.

now i need to start getting back in shape, that is my next goal i would like to drop 6o pounds in the next two years so i can be at 200 again. i don't want to lose it to fast as i might pick it back up even faster, and i don't want that.

ongra OSC

Comment

One pound a month works but faster and people can and do get sick or just gain back even more. Give it time and you'll do well.

Comment

Best thing you have ever done for your body is quit smoking.

Next best thing...lose weight..will be just as hard

Dropping 60 lbs in 2 years is doable but soooo hard to start during the holidays if it doesn't happen try not to get discouraged and give up. Nobody likes a quitter

Still trying to finish off the Halloween candy and the feeding frenzy won't stop til New Years for me.

Comment

Overweight people lose weight faster then people who weigh normal and trying to lose 5 lbs..

There is much more fat...

you can loose 60 lbs in 1 year...just look at that show..

Americas biggest looser or something...

eat right in normal portions and dont eat nothing after 6pm

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
                  eat right in normal portions and dont eat nothing after 6pm
                  That's good advice coming from someone who is probably 5'2" and 120 lbs.

Don't eat after 6pm? who made up this rule?

Can't sleep when I'm hungry

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    That's good advice coming from someone who is probably 5'2" and 120 lbs.

Don't eat after 6pm? who made up this rule?

Can't sleep when I'm hungry
                    6pm?

Dr.Oz

You can find him on oprah

Personaly i eat after 6 pm cause Rob is arely home before 6...

Robert eats well beyond his dinner,with his snacks, italian salami,cheese,crackers,and water and after that cookies and milk..

So he has 2 different snack after dinner

He cannot gain a pound if i fed him horse food or whatever...quantities..i drink 8 glasses of water and next day i'am 3 pound heavier..just not fair

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post

6pm?

Dr.Oz

You can find him on oprah

Personaly i eat after 6 pm cause Rob is arely home before 6...

Robert eats well beyond his dinner,with his snacks, italian salami,cheese,crackers,and water and after that cookies and milk..

So he has 2 different snack after dinner

He cannot gain a pound if i fed him horse food or whatever...quantities..i drink 8 glasses of water and next day i'am 3 pound heavier..just not fair
                      Dr Oz? lol

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"

Robert is young he won't gain weight til he hits 30.

Then his metabolism will slow down and thats' when he'll get a lil paunch

Comment

well most of the weight that i have gained was from the past year, from beeing laid up from my foot then the whole long ordeal with my wife(i miss you princess) then driving a dump truck and being semi retired and spending waaaaaaay to much time on the computer, basicly it is mostly from inactivity, once i get moving again i should be fine
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

well most of the weight that i have gained was from the past year, from beeing laid up from my foot then the whole long ordeal with my wife(i miss you princess) then driving a dump truck and being semi retired and spending waaaaaaay to much time on the computer, basicly it is mostly from inactivity, once i get moving again i should be fine
                          OSC SO HAPPY FOR YOU TO START A WHOLE NEW BEGINING..

You owe it to yourself and your son....

Doesnt this looks delicious?

Dr. Oz and co-author Dr. Rozen have released a new book called “You on a Diet” and visited today on the Oprah TV show about ways that you can changer your lifestyle to help you lose weight.
                          Dr. Oz told Oprah that your health has to do with your waistline, even more than how much you weigh. If you stomach measures over 32 ½ inches for a women, or over 35 inches for a man then you are to heavy. This excess fat around your waist is hurting your health. You could have fat thighs and a small waist and even though you might be overweight it is not going to hurt your health as much

You need to part ways with bad habits. That probably means getting more exercise. Dr. Oz recommends getting a pedometer and move 10,000 steps each day. You should include walking as an exercise. Dr. Oz recommend walking whenever you want to change a bad habit, whether you want to quit smoking, or lose weight, it is a good starting point. He strongly recommends building up your muscles to some degree. If you lose weight and do not build muscle you will slow down your metabolism. Muscles burn 50 more calories than fat does, so it is good to have extra muscles. You should try to sweat at least 1 hour a week. He said you could complete this at 20 minute sessions each time, just so long as you work up a sweat. You should also stretch regularly to avoid injury while exercising.
                          You should be eating more fiber foods, such as whole grain foods to help control hunger. They suggest eating hot red peppers and cinnamon to satisfy hunger. Use a smaller plate to serve yourself in the morning and have “emergency” food on hand that is healthy such as apples, carrots and breath strips.
                          Dr. Roizen recommended always reading the food labels for bad ingredients such as hydrogenated oils, sugar, and high fructose corn syrup. Avoid bleached flours and labels that use the word “enriched.” Don’t eat the food unless 1 serving has less than 4 grams of saturated fats and less than 4 grams of sugars. You should have plenty of vegetables and drink lots of water.
                          High fructose corn syrup has become readily available in most pre-made foods. By removing this sweetener they suggest a person could be saving themselves 33 pounds in a year’s time. High fructose corn syrup is ignored by the body and does not trigger the leptin hormone to tell you that you are full. The ghrelin hormone may still be triggering that you are hungry and instead you continue to eat more calories.
                          Improve your chances for not overeating by making sure you get enough sleep. Sex can also play a part in helping to lose weight. You need to eat nutritious foods and drink plenty of water too.

Your mood can also create cravings for food. They suggest that you may want to eat meat if you are angry, sweets if you are depressed, salt if you are stressed, and pasta if you are sexually frustrated. If you eat foods that are high in omega 3 fatty acids it can also help to fight off depression.
                          Dr. Oz recommends avoiding salad dressings that are pre-made and suggest using olive oil and vinegar that you make yourself. Salad dressing can add up to 1/2 of the calories for the whole salad. Another tip is to eat a handful of nuts before you sit down for a meal, it will help to release the leptin hormone that gives us the full feeling.

Finally, you can improve your chances of success if you “automate” your breakfast and your lunch. If you don’t eat breakfast, you should as it will help you from becoming too hungry all day and you will eat less. If you eat the same kinds of meals you will have a better chance at succeeding at weight loss.
                          Last edited by mrs. westcoast; 11-15-2007, 09:56 PM.

Comment

You nailed it OSC,activities

Girlfriend quit drinking at 177 lbs.Used exersize to take place of the energy spent on Booze.117 at 5-6 now.
                            Me I gained When I quit the sauce.Probably cause I started eating

Holidays are tough,I like spring to make my big deals.

Comment

What great news, congratulations and hang in there.

The info about fresh veggies and fruits can make quite a difference too. You will be amazed how feeding your body really good foods for several days helps suppress all kinds of cravings, plus the extra energy, etc.

Of cousre I "preach" a better sermon on food than I eat, sometimes.

Merry Christmas, too.
                              thepapabear<BR>When a bureaucrat has a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail.

Comment

Working...
                              X