X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 months and 1 day ago

i had my last cigartte!!! i smoked for 15 years and for 9-10 of them i was smoking 2-3 packs aday of marlboro 100s. on july 8th of 06 at 9:30 pm i finally said no more. i can not say it has be the easyiest thing i have done but it sure wasn't as hard as it could have been. i am just now starting to feel better and just now starting to breath better. no i did not use the patch or gum, i just quit and yes there are days when the urge hits and hits hard but now my mind knows that i can make it with out it. and no i am not looking to have any praise i am just having a fit and i needed to vent and since i concider this my cyber family guess what i will vent here so ha-ha.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Way to go OSC. I did the same over 2 years ago.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Hang in there OSC. You Can Do It!! Just think how many new tools you can buy with that Marlboro Money!!

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Good job OSC. I can relate. I quit in June of 2006 and am happier for it now. Hardest part for me is when I have a few cold ones....
        Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

ME too Nov 11 2004 cold turkey, still get an itch but the mind knows better than to give in. I have no problem having beers with the boys that still smoke, but let me tell ya it has been much easier since they banned smoking in all the bars up here.
          Hang in there buddy. BTW my incentive was to go and blow 6 months of smokes $ on tools at HD on the 6 month no pay plan. Could not afford to smoke and pay for the tools as well, not paying 28% interest helps squash the urges
          Last edited by wbrooks; 01-09-2007, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Sept. 27, 1999 I quit cigarettes and booze on the same day. I still get the urge every now and again for both but so far so good. OSC, it sounds like you're over the hump but you keep your guard up. I find even after all these years that there is always that temptation to have just one.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Praise

No praise wanted, but you sure do deserve it.
              Great job OSC. Keep it up.
              I like the idea of others who said take 6 months worth of smokes money and blow it on TOOLS!
              What a great reward to yourself.
              After you do that the first time, try this. Every day, put the money you'd have spent on 2-3 packs in a dresser drawer for yourself. When you need to buy a tool for the shop or for work, go into the drawer, count out what you need and buy it. It's the gift that keeps on giving!
              Jim Don
              PS And you'll be around a longer time to enjoy all that fine equipment.

Comment

ok i see lots are in same boat lol. feb 15th of '06 is my 1 year mark of quiting smokeing. I tried cold turkey but it didnt work so i got the patch. The first 6 months is /was the hardest for me. the breathing eased up after 8 months though. The money thing of not buying ciggs is what i get to spend this year with tax money . I cant wait !! good luck to all of us .( I was at 2-3 packs for over 20 years of both marlboro reds/lights )

Comment

Forget the $$$. Your quality of life will be so much better now. Good job and keep up the good work. It's great when people do quit before it's too late and they simply can't recover.

Comment

thank you guys it mean alot to me that many of you know what i am going though and good luck you you all as well and badger dave smokes and booze on the same day ............... gee your my hero!!. lol. i am just glad that i wasn't near you for the frist few weeks as you must have been a real FUN person to be around.
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I've had this conversation with myself many times.
                      I want a cigarette.........

OK then, I'll have a drink............
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

OSC,

Ridgid just sighed because they will have to honor your LSA for that much longer now

Congrats on accomplishing something few can. My father quit about 2 years ago, cold turkey, and he's never looked back. I know he will never go back, because at least once a week he mentions his improved breathing and fatter wallet to somebody.

I'm sure you have family members who are ecstatic, because of your decision to improve your life (I was so happy when I found out my years of nagging finally paid off).

Stay well!

Pete

Comment

Congratz OSC. One of my buddies here at work just quit smoking with his wife. I am really impressed with people that can stick with it and do whats best for them way too many of my relatives and friends have been quitting for the last 20 years or so.

Glad to have all of you quiters on the board.

Josh

PS>. I agree you should go out and spend that smoking money on some RIDGID tools

Comment

Josh

How about RIDGID making up some special I Quit tools that family and friends can give people as a congratulations or thank you for quitting gift?

To Everyone that has quit: CONGRATULATIONS

I think a good idea and reward for your efforts is to plan that every year you keep off them, take the family out for a nice meal and maybe catch a good movie or do something all of you will enjoy.

In addition, please do this for all of you. Hire it done if necessary, but give you place a super cleaning and either wash, dry clean or just get rid of anything around that is full of tobaco tar and/or the foul smell. Then think about painting the inside of your house and if you have forced air heating, have the air ducts and your furnace cleaned. You worked hard to quit and now you deserve to enjoy your new life.

I don't know how much you have to pay per pack in your area, but where I am it's now close to $5 per pack. At $5 per pack and 2 packs a day that would add up to $3,650 per year!!! Then think of your reduced medical bills. You're going to be saving big time and will be able to help pay down any debts, buy nice things you want, have more fun in life and more. Enjoy and I'm sure your family and friends love the cleaner air and no more stinky you. They will also enjoy your better health.

LIVE AGAIN
                            Last edited by Woussko; 01-12-2007, 03:17 AM.

Comment

This posting makes me want to take up smoking so that I could give it up and buy more tools.

Keep it up OSC
                              The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.

Comment

Working...
                              X