X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID Forum Wishlist - Tell me what you want

Ok.. the forum is growing nicely. I want to do everything I can to make the forum as easy to use and as powerful as possible. So heres your chance to influence how the forum is set up. Please do not suggest changing the software that runs the forum. I like the software and I think everyone is already familiar with it.

A few changes I have made in the the last few days.

1) registrations no longer have to be approved by me. Although they must now be verified by the users. This should prevent the majority of spam since spammers dont usually check their inboxes to verify their registrations. I also added image verification back into the registration to prevent any cross site scripting.

2) Inline Image uplod. Some of you wanted to be able to upload attatchments and have them display automatically. Well I set it up so that if its an image it will be thumbnailed and linked. Anything else other than an image will just be a link. (BTW.. I made this retroactive for all attatchments. So every thread you have uploaded attatchments for in the past now has thumbnails in the message so somone knows what they are viewing)

3) I have also increased the maximum attatchment size realizing that some of your project pictures deserve a bit larger display... so the maximum for jpg and gif has now been increased to 150k and I have increased pdf size up to 500k. Please dont use the forum as your image gallery. If this is abused I will have to cut it back again but I trust you guys.

This forum is your community. Let me know what you would like to see as new features and I will do what I can.

Josh
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Josh; 01-17-2007, 03:12 PM.

as stated befor by me i kind of like to see a chat room i think it might do ok also i would like to see more respones from the staff at ridgid i started a thread" what would you like next" and i have no idea whther anyone at ridgid has seen it but i see a few good ideas in there.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I've mentioned this before but I still would like to see some way to identify who a poster is responding to instead of using the "Quote" feature. If you don't understand what I'm asking for, take a trip over to the Woodnet site and see how they handle this. Maybe the current software can't handle this but if it can I'd sure like to see it.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Re: RIDGID Forum Wishlist - Tell me what you want

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
        as stated befor by me i kind of like to see a chat room i think it might do ok also i would like to see more respones from the staff at ridgid i started a thread" what would you like next" and i have no idea whther anyone at ridgid has seen it but i see a few good ideas in there.
        I will give this some more thought. A change to our site may provide the perfect opportunity for this in the near future.

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        I've mentioned this before but I still would like to see some way to identify who a poster is responding to instead of using the "Quote" feature. If you don't understand what I'm asking for, take a trip over to the Woodnet site and see how they handle this. Maybe the current software can't handle this but if it can I'd sure like to see it.
        Dave, I think you are talking about this right?

unfortunately vbulletin only handles this by quoting. There is no reply at the top of every post... only the entire thread.

If I can come up with a way to do this I will.

Keeping my eyes open.

Josh

Comment

"I also added image verification back into the registration to prevent any cross site scripting."

Josh, can you explain how this helps or protects users of this site?
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

or even what it is since i have been a member here since 2004 and i just now figered how to put up a photo up next to my name(the 1953 pickup = oldslowchevy) even thought it is not mine
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

How about a classifieds section or "swap bin"?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                Dave, I think you are talking about this right?

unfortunately vbulletin only handles this by quoting. There is no reply at the top of every post... only the entire thread.

If I can come up with a way to do this I will.

Keeping my eyes open.

Josh
                Josh, that's exactly what I was referring to. Too bad vbulletin can't do that but maybe some day.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Image verification adds an image with sorta twisted letters in different colors and configurations and has the user type in what they see. This protects the site from Automated scripts that create registrations on forums then automatically post spam. Since the scripts cant read the verification they cant make these bogus registrations.

Sorry about the quoting for replies in vbulletin. I have gotten used to replying to a specific comment by using the quotes. Plus the multiquote is a cool feature that vbulletin has that others dont.

Josh

Comment

I like the new image display. Personally, I prefer vbulletin above the others. It's a little better in security (ok...there is no truly bulletproof forum software) than the others. Also...for the admin vbulletin rocks!

Sorry...I have no suggestions to add...lack of sleep.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Hewood beat me to it. How about a classified or swap thread/sticky?

Comment

how about a few members only forums so if all the "guests" i see can become members also it could give some of reg posters a plase to be our selfs, i hope you understand i do have a problem explaning my self some times the reason i say this is because i see 10-20-30 guests on all the time and it would be nice to get some of these guys/girls a reason to become members (after all it is free) does any one else think this is a good idea?
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

How about a dedicated section for advertising posts? That way they can have their place to post about their (and our) businesses. If we wanted to find a guy to do a website for example, we could just check there and search for it. And someone posting an ad thread anywhere else, it'd be no issue with moving it there.
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                          X