X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• generator

Hi everyone I'm a contractor and just got the job to build a 2400 sq ft deck the only peoblem is the nearest plug is 300' away. So i going to need a generator if anyone chould give me any help as to what brands i should look at and the ones i should stay away from that whould be great. I work by myself so i just need to run 1 power tool such as a mitre saw or small compressor and 1 or 2 battery chargers for cordless tools at any time. Thanks for the help Bob

Re: generator

Don't have a generator myself but if you don't find yourself in situations too often where you need portable power (and it appears that you don't because you don't have one now) I think I would consider renting a generator for the first job or two, and maybe try different model generators each time you rent. Then after trying a one or two you will know what to look for (and look out for) on any model you might consider.

It may sound like you are throwing money away on the rentals but if it gets you a model in the end that is more reliable and easier to use is it not worth it to not be stuck with a POS that you will cuss at for the next couple years?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

i need just alittle more info such as will you plan on putting into full time service even after this job? would you use it in your area for power failures? is it something you use for this job only? what is your price range? and what stores are near you that sell witch generators? but most any 6-700 watt gen will work for what you have said so far, i hope that helps some
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Re: Generator

BobD has a good idea about renting one. Either take along your tools and try it out at the rental yard under load, or have them try running their similar tools with it. For the most part the generators at Home Depot and Lowes are made for a price, are pretty junky and they are LOUD. Honda, Subaru-Robin and Yamaha are much more refined, but they get pretty costly. Sometimes a dealer may have a special on a floor model or a discontinued model. Be sure you don't undersize the generator. The starting current for an air compressor is several times the rated running current.

Comment

Thanks guys i have rented one twice before one was good one was a pos.I'm starting to get alot of work in the cottage area north of me so i will be it needing more. As far as price range i was looking to spend $1500 I don't like to buy tools twice so if i have to spend more than that to get what i need so be it. I live 1 hour from Toronto Ontario so i have access to every store there aswell as there is a home depot where i live. Your right about the ones in the stores they seem to be for people to keep in there garage incase the power goes out not meant to be worked.

Comment

For construction you need at least a 6000 watt generator. I recomend a 8000watt. A large percentage of the generators on the market have briggs and straton motors. I personaly hate B&S and equate them to junk. THe most reliable generators I've used have honda motors.

Comment

you might want to look into a combination air compressor/ genarator. an air compressor electric motor takes alot of starting power to start when it is up to pressure. a skill saw draws approx. 13 amps plus starting load.

amps = watts divided by volts. so 1 amp would be 120 watts @ 120 volts.
              10 amps would be 1200 watts. 1800 watts would be 15 amps. then you need a reserve starting load. it can be 2 to 3 times the running or rated amps.

i keep a 1200 watt in the truck. this runs a sawzall or 3/4'' snake. these have a little starting load. the snake only draws 6 amps running.

you also want to get a generator with an automatic idle control. most of the time you're running the gen. it's not being used for power.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Bob, I have the Coleman 6250 (available at your HD) and it has plenty of power but you sure don't want to be hauling it in and out of your truck because of the weight. I use it for power backup (it runs the house including the well) and I put a larger set of wheels on it so I can pull it behind the 4 wheeler for bush projects. The one thing it does not have is the idle control that Rick mentioned, it is a really nice feature not only to save on gas but so you can hear yourself think when no tools are running. If you want to have a look at it in action PM me, I am just down the road from you

Comment

Thanks Wayne i'm looking at the porter cable model #Ch3501S it has the idle control as well as hour meter. It has a runnig wattage of 3500 and a surge of 7500 and is only 108 Lbs. I would and the wheel kit to it. If anyone knows anything about this generator input would be great.

Comment

The Honda EU1000i is an excellent generator. 1000 watts, 29 pounds and fuel efficient. Used this for camping because it was so light and quiet. The EU2000 is 2000 watts.
                    Last edited by joe_d; 01-29-2007, 02:24 PM.
                    Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

BB

Be careful not to undersize the generator. You won't be able to run everything. It's better to have a more powerful model than really needed. Having some reserve power extends the machine life and you can add on a bit more load later on. Make a list of what you need to run and make notes of anything that is auto start-stop. Take that to the generator dealer (or post the list here). Be sure to check for noise if that's an issue for you. On a noisy job site in a commercial area, you can run extension cords (not too long and only good heavy ones, please) to get away from a loud engine. In a residential setting and especially at night, a loud generator can end up with the local police coming and demanding you shut it off. In addition the noise will get to you and make you hate the generator. It's wild what they have done on the better ones to reduce noise. Be sure to try out any you have in mind and run them with a good load connected. Under no load they make less noise than when working hard.

Comment

BB

I like that the Porter-Cable model you have in mind has a Honda engine on it. They are good engines and not so loud like a cheapo engine.

Comment

Thanks for the input Woussko i picked up the poter cable today got it at a porter cable service center they had 3 that were used at a trade show my had 7hours on it they did a complete service on it ane it already had the wheel kit on it for $800 plus tax.

Comment

Working...
                          X