Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ??josh??

Hey Josh,
    This being the U.S. and English is our official language, when are we going to change the "modo avanzado"?
    Jim

Re: ??josh??

since adding the spanish language pack to the forum I havent been able to figure out how that is getting in there. Its supposed to be in english just like the rest of the site. It list it out correctly in the settings. But then when it displays its wrong. Maybe I am just trying to slowely teach the forum spanish.

Comment

Josh and PK

Let it be known that over 13% of the population of the USA is now Hispanic. Like or or not we that learned and speak English, better sooner or later learn some of their version of Spanish. I really wish we had Federal laws requiring any non English reading & speaking person to learn basic English when they come here to live and before they can be hired.

Me no habla EsPanol

I really think in all fairness that for our friends up in Canada that Ridgid needs to have a site setup in French. Several other major companies have a "Select Your Country & Language" area on their main home page. When you select it, you are then taken to their site setup for you. While at this, I recommend doing several other languages as well.
      Last edited by Woussko; 02-10-2007, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Teddy Roosevelt wrote:

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man’s becoming in very fact and American and nothing but an American.

"If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't doing his part as an American.

"We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, and American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people."

The Chicago Daily Tribune, p. 4
        7 January 1919 AMEN! LEARN ENGLISH!
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

With this mess comes to mind something kind of wild to me. Do animals in other parts of the world not meow, bark, howl or otherwise communicate with others of their same kind in the same way as they do here? My bet is us humans are at the disadvantage of not having one and only one universal language. I would be very interested in putting domestic animals from several other nations together with some from here and observe them. My bet is that they don't have the language issues we do. Now please don't get me wrong on this. We humans have far more words to deal with then they do, or do we? Maybe we are the dumb and stupid ones not to learn their ways of communication. Just a thought.

Any of you that are into and have been into computers would do well to try to obtain the full documents for the ASCII code. ASCII = American Standards for Computer Information Interchange

Comment

Josh

If you think my postings are out of line for this forum, please feel free to delete them or PM me and I will remove them. Thanks

Comment

Well I'm Canadian and I'm all for more melting pot and less multiculturalism. The problem is trying to define what's in the pot after a couple hundred years of promoting the whole "keep your culture" thing.

More power to ya!

Comment

Woussko,

Your "animal" analogy brought a smile. Dogs and other animals have the same difficulty with thier native country language that we do. Maybe all dogs understand the particulars of a "bark", but when they confront alien language humans it can be confusing. When I was kid I had a paper route with a rather nasty looking Doberman. The old Polish lady told me he was very gentle and that I should just shout out his name and he would be okay with me. After being chased down the driveway a dozen times, I came to the realization that I need to adopt a good Polish accent to get his attention!!!

I come from an area that is rich in Italian, Polish, and Slovac immigrants. I find it rather odd that they all learned the language and took pride in their new country, "America". It would have been a great embarrassment and a family dishonor, should any of their relatives come to America and not learn the language. I guess I don't understand why Mexicans should feel any different. Certainly the few that I know are both honorable, intelligent, and willing.

But the bottom line here is that this whole "Spanish" thing is a bit of an aggrevation for many of us. We seem to be "dug-in" with our views and I'm sure it's not worth screwing up the forum in trying to change anyone's mind through argument.

CWS

Comment

Woussko: I agree, 13% of the people here are Hispanic (11 million illegal) which means 87% are made up of Swedish, German, French, Italian, African, English, etc. Are we supposed to learn all these languages? I think not. Wild Weasel has summed it up pretty well. Auf Weidersein!

Comment

Poor Josh All this howling about just trying to get the web site working better. Maybe I'll have to sleep out in the cold garage after this. I doubt any of us have any idea of the long hard hours Josh and the other web masters put in trying to keep us happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                      Poor Josh All this howling about just trying to get the web site working better. Maybe I'll have to sleep out in the cold garage after this. I doubt any of us have any idea of the long hard hours Josh and the other web masters put in trying to keep us happy.

good point and point taken
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Both Spanish and French should both be up this calendar year. We are currently undertaking the huge task of translating the new ridgid.com.

Josh

Comment

Josh

Your friends up in Canada will be most thankful for your efforts setting up the site so those that want it in French will have it. Next comes the other popular languages.

Comment

I demand equal rights!! need to add one in cherokee.

Comment

a professor once told me

"everyone in north america (with the exception of first nation peoples) is an immigrant of you look back far enough".

Comment

Working...
                              X