Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3 hrs of shoveling

W W I hope you enjoy it.

Getting back to snow shoveling, around where I am it's now thick solid ice. It would require driving back and forth over it with heavy steel crawlers to bust it up and then some serious digging.

I'm about ready to get a big chisel and heavy hammer. Then maybe not as I really don't wish to bash up my sidewalk. Mama Nature will soon bring heat from the sun to help us out.

Roads are OK and most of the walkway is done. I got to it before it froze up. It's just where I didn't get to it soon enough.

Weather in the Mid Atlantic is always coo coo just like most people that live here.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      Smorris

I have a Subaru Outback SW Limited and really like it. How to you like your Subaru "Turbo Plow" ?

I have fun (when I can) putting my neighbor's fancy dancy BMW to shame. It spins out and I crawl along.
      Woussko,

My Subie started life as a Subaru Impreza WRX Sport Wagon. You can take a peek at the below linked Morris Garage and click on the WRX for what I've done to it. It isn't stock anymore. I pretty much voided the drivetrain warranty the first week I had it. It is low, mean, and subtle now. Still stock turbo so I can stay in the STX autocross class, but lots of other goodies. Similarly prepped cars put out about 260 HP whereas stock is 227. Quarter mile is high 13s. Actually, the current output is similar to Weasel's new MazdaSpeed, but with AWD. (My daughter just bought the Mazda 3 Sunday, and I was looking at a black MazdaSpeed hatch, but realized I'd be looking at another car just like mine!)

No, I'm not some ricer kid. Mine is so subtle, I can't get any attention form the fart-can kids. Maybe some of it has to do with the "53 year old bald guy driving a station wagon" part. Of course that keeps me below the police radar, too.

Ummm... on topic. Hey, no snow today!
      Steve
      www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Smorris

Nice work there.

Mine just has the stock H4 non turbo engine. It does have to work hard and downshift on hills, but then I'm not out to win any speed records. Everyone needs to like what he drives. Good luck and good luck with your daughter. My bet is she will want to have you do custom work on her car soon.

Comment

you didn't really think that they shoved those tracks do you? this is a 9 foot rotery 900 hp diesel powered snow blower, now you all can stop dreaming

Last edited by oldslowchevy; 02-16-2007, 12:35 PM.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

good luck with your daughter. My bet is she will want to have you do custom work on her car soon.
            We already did that with the '91 Miata she bought when she was 15. She started autocrossing with me, and asked for race tires for Christmas. Santa didn't deliver. Santa didn't want her to beat his times at the next event!
            Steve
            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

OSC

Nice picture for sure. I'm going to look for one of an old steam engine powered "Rotary Plow" that railroads used many years ago. To see and here one at work was quite an experience. You both cheered and also feared that beast. Only once did I get to see one working and that was a restored one. I'm getting old, but not that old. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                No, I'm not some ricer kid. Mine is so subtle, I can't get any attention form the fart-can kids. Maybe some of it has to do with the "53 year old bald guy driving a station wagon" part. Of course that keeps me below the police radar, too.
                Very nice work on the Subie!

I'm totally the ricer kid... though I've mostly grown out of it now.

I've got a supercharged 220ish hp Sunfire. Runs high 14's on heavy 18" wheels with all season rubber.

Most of the bling on the outside of the car I actually got for free from shows and sponsorships. My money's gone to the stuff that makes it fun, like the interior, power and suspension.

You can see the history of it here: http://www.wildweasel.ca/car_pics.shtml

Now that'll be stored away though for future use while the Mazdaspeed becomes my new daily driver.
                Last edited by Wild Weasel; 02-16-2007, 12:49 PM.

Comment

OK everyone I just had to post this so you can see the real MONSTER SHOVELING machine. How would you like to have one of these in your front yard to show off? Needless to say it costs more than most of us pay for a lot and nice house. Please don't ask me how much, but I have little doubt but what it's over $1 million.

http://www.letourneau-inc.com/pdf/eq...ing/L-2350.pdf

And for all of you that are Railroad fans, here's an interesting web site about plowing snow. Scroll down some and you'll really see the snow flying. http://membrane.com/~elmer/rail/snow/rotary/

Here is one you'll have fun seeing thanks to our friends over in Norway. http://membrane.com/~elmer/rail/snow/rotary/nor01.jpg
                  Last edited by Woussko; 02-16-2007, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post

You can see the history of it here: http://www.wildweasel.ca/car_pics.shtml
                    Wow! Pretty subtle. Love the tags!
                    Steve
                    www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Sweet car!!! Definately the 1337 tags!!!

Woussko, I saw one of those rotary plows in Alaska. They still use ones like OSC posted on a regular basis.
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post

Woussko, I saw one of those rotary plows in Alaska. They still use ones like OSC posted on a regular basis.
                        White Pass Railroad? I saw that this past August when we went to Alaska. I'd love to see one of those run! I used to be a bit steam engine nut. Went to see all the engines as they came through here. The steam rotary is a marvel!
                        Steve
                        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

And for all of you that are Railroad fans, here's an interesting web site about plowing snow.
                          I was at the Henry Ford Museum last summer near Detroit and they had a massive train snow remover right in the museum! I don't think it was one of those rotary ones though...

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                          Wow! Pretty subtle. Love the tags!
                          heh. Thanks. That car gave up "subtle" years ago. It's been a fun process all the way through. It'll be sad not to be able to drive it anymore for a while. Of course, her daily driving replacement should be just as entertaining.

Comment

Rotary plows
                            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

In the vein of "No good deed goes unpunished" here is a short story. During the snowstorm wednesday my snowblower blew up. ( Never, ever think you are doing good by stretching the governor spring. The motor will run faster for a short time and more snow will be thrown but the life of the machine will be lessened significantly.) So over to HD I go to buy another snowblower. Fortunately I was there in time to buy the last one. There was a couple ahead of me who had bought the second to last one. No store employees were available to help load the blower in the guy's car so I offered to help. He had a new Jeep and of course it didn't fit into the back. I told him I had brought my Hummer and suspected mine wouldn't fit so I planned on renting HD's truck to bring mine home and offered to bring his to his house. He accepted. We unloaded mine first and then drove to his house where I was to helped him unload his. He made the turn into his driveway. As I followed and made the turn into his uncleared driveway I knew I had made the wrong decision. Of course I got stuck. We unload the guy's snowblower and what does he do? He tells his wife to get some gas, asks me how to start his snowblower and starts to clear his sidewalk with his new snowblower. He did return a couple times and offer encouragment that I was almost out and he did let me use a snow shovel to dig the truck out. I suppose I should be thankful he didn't charge me a deposit for the use of his shovel. Some people just don't get it.

Tom

Tom

Comment

TomW

You're very correct that some people (I have to include myself now and then) are real *&^%$#@ in mind and heart. As for the getting stuck, I hope readers realize it was the rented HD pickup and not your Hummer. Sadly this stuff happens when we attempt to help people. It ends up that they *&^% in our face. Any real person would have helped you dig out and given you a nice home cooked meal. I hope the snow thrower you got works out to be a good one for you.

Now a bit about overspeeding engines. Please everyone, do NOT do it. Even 10% above the rated max speed is getting dangerous. You need to use this way of thinking. If you increase the speed to double, the stress is 4 times greater. If you increase engine speed to 3 times what's normal the stress is 9 times greater. Anymore too many small engines are maxed out at the factory. I'm glad it didn't end up with your getting pieces of metal blasted into you. Good luck with your new one.

Tom

Did that butt headed guy add oil to the engine before starting it? If not, he will soon have scrap metal for an engine and you can laugh at him. Maybe he will pay after all for not offering to help dig out the HD pickup.
                                Last edited by Woussko; 02-18-2007, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X