X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 hrs of shoveling

Today is a day I wish my driveway was a bit shorter. Just finished shoveling 15 inches of snow off my driveway about an hr ago. Just a few hrs late to work . We got hit pretty good out here. Anyone else burried. I know there will be some of you that laugh at 15 inches of snow. But hey its pretty decent for around here.

Josh

Re: 3 hrs of shoveling

Whats snow we have not had any yet.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Near Washington, DC

I got only 3 inches of snow, but there is about a 3/8 inch ice crust on top of it and this was the very wet hard digging kind of snow. Many cars are ice crusted. The big deal here is that soon they are saying the strong winds will pickup. With trees iced up and strong winds that = branches coming down and/or flying. It also means massive power failures. The main roads are pretty good, but the back streets haven't yet been touched. I think I'll give my little trusty TORO "Snow Hound" a good run and see if it can dig through this stuff. It's compact but it's also pretty tuff for its size. I hate that loud little 2 cycle stinky fumes engine, but it does get work done.

Comment

We have about 3 feet. Also pretty decent for my area. But my wife shoveled the walks and the driveway across 2 days. I worked in the shop installing a new heater and watched the boys. My wife has never seen snow before until we moved here this winter so she is liking it and enjoys shoveling/playing in it for now.

Plus I will be going to sunny Phoenix this weekend for a week for business. I doubt she is gonna be be so willing to shovel the snow after I come back from that...
        Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

We got about the same.

Took about 3 hours to clear our 75' driveway today...1.5 hours from each of 2 of the boys! Unfortunately it's still snowing pretty hard as we speak!

...I"m just glad I'm not in Oswego! They literally got over 7' last week!

Comment

This is the first winter that I can remember where we made it this far with no snow to speak of. I think total accumulation up until 4:00 PM yesterday, amounted to no more than a couple of inches.

Well starting late yesterday afternoon, all that has changed. It's been snowing continually since 4:00 PM, Feb 13th!! By 10:00 this morning we had had about 12 inches on the ground and right now it measures 15 inches. Temperature is only 10 degrees, so the stuff is pretty fine, but still fairly heavy. This is supposed to continue until 10:00 pm tonight with increasing winds. Tomorrow it's supposed to be higher winds and occasional snow squawls with below zero wind chill. In almost any direction from here the weather is worse! If you really want snow, you go north to Oswego.

While that is by no means the worst I've seen, I was under the dillusion that I might make it through this winter without picking up the shovel.

Oh well

CWS

Comment

1 hour to make it through 3.5" of snow with a heavy crust of ice. And all I did was one swipe down the driveway, and the sidewalk. The little snow-blower really doesn't like the taste of ice at all. With the cold temps and heavy winds, it means the all-too-frequent face-full of snow-blower-powered wind-driven ice chunks.

My ears are frozen and my arms feel like noodles. The rest of it's gonna have to wait!!!

Congrats on getting yours done, fellas!

Oh yeah....happy Valentine's Day!!!!
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

My folks live out in the country about 10 minutes from my house. Here are a few pics from around their house. Lotsa drifting.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hey Josh, You can see by my avatar that snow doesn't bother me --except that we don't have enough to make a snowball. I wish you fellas that are getting it all would send some our way. We really need it!! Last summer was dry and so was the Fall. Our lakes are way down and our forests are like tinder boxes. Praying for snow, Jim

Comment

Update:

Little TORO "Snow Hound" just made lots of engine noise, but won't dig into this mess here. I ended up grabbing a steel shovel and had to really grunt. I got some done and am in for a rest. More shoveling soon. I really can't use a big heavy duty snow thrower. Too tight along sidewalks and such.

Sandy

Try a face shield and a good hooded jacket. Maybe a motor cycle helmet with face shield would be better. What you got blasted with is sure no fun. Please no getting hurt. SAFETY FIRST With that in mind, don't work to hard and have heart attacks.
                    Last edited by Woussko; 02-14-2007, 05:04 PM.

Comment

heh. Sorry man.

We haven't had 15" of snow here in Toronto ALL WINTER.

Of course, I'll be spending some time tonight shovelling my drive as well as we've just had our 1st major snowfall of the winter. There was one previously that dumped 7 or 8 cm on us but this one should be 15+ cm. Not even half your 15"...

Comment

I'm sure everyone already knows this, but for what it's worth there are 2.54 CM to 1.0 inch. Put the other way around 1 CM = 0.3937 inch

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                          heh. Sorry man.

We haven't had 15" of snow here in Toronto ALL WINTER.

Of course, I'll be spending some time tonight shovelling my drive as well as we've just had our 1st major snowfall of the winter. There was one previously that dumped 7 or 8 cm on us but this one should be 15+ cm. Not even half your 15"...
                          Funny isn't it?....we get hammered with lake effect snow from the same lake you're on. If it's snow you're after, you're on the wrong side of the lake man! ...ya gotta be downwind to really appreciate it!

Comment

Holy Hell, Josh!!

I think God must really like you or something 'cause he smote me good tonight!

While Toronto may have only got 15 cm or so, I think a full 2 feet managed to pile up on my entire driveway and walk up the front door!

I have GOT to get me a snowblower!!

Comment

Not sure what we got here but the rink totally disappeared and the drifts were well over 2'. The JD with 5' PTO blower makes short work of the drive and the little 9HP blower for the rink and walks, still took a couple of hours to clean up.

Comment

Working...
                              X