X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hey Josh" Pinewood derby

Josh, was wondering if I can use Ridgid name on my Cub Scouts pinewood derby car with out being sued, LOL. I thought this would be cool, my 9 year old is going to build one for the races, so what the heck might as well do one too. I'll take some pictures and post them here when we are done with the races. Hopefully I'll do a decent job and make Ridgid proud. I'll have to barrow a digital camera since I don't own one. I believe the races will be on 3/17/07, tried to talk my son into doing a Ridgid car first, but he doesn't give a dang about a tool name. Timing was perfect, got my Ridgid catalog in the mail today, so I can cut your logo out and paste it on the car, should work out fine. Talk at you later...
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: "Hey Josh" Pinewood derby

if they say no(witch i dout) you could make it look like tont stewards car witch says ridgid on it.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I'm doing a formula car, think Mr Tony Steward can handle one of those? LOL...
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Go for it. If you want me to dig you up some high res images of the logo I could pry do that. I'll be interested to see how it turns out. good luck.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
          I'm doing a formula car, think Mr Tony Steward can handle one of those? LOL...

i would have to say yes since he did the indy500(formula style car) and i belive the coca cola 600(nascar) in the same day for 3 years he did this till the starting time of one of the races changed also he is one of the top "road course" drivers in nascar. but get it right, you are doing a car that looks like a "formula car" that will be doing a "drag race" on "soap box derby" style of track. lol all facts!! but just a tease. hope you took no offence
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Oh man Pinewood Derby is awesome. My son just had his first race. He took 2nd place overall a,d best design. Not trying to sound biased here, but the winning car was a cheat though. He had shaved his wheels down to about half of their width. Of course I pushed the limits, but nothing over the edge. All 4 wheels on mine were touching the track (some say it helps to get one off the track a little, less resistance) I made sure that the axels were smoothly polished and the car was aligned decently. We weighed in at exactly 5 oz.

Comment

if some one thinks if they can get away with wining and cheating to get there then they are just cheating on life and it will catch up with them some day .if you came in 2nd because some one cheated you know that you did it right and deep down your really #1 to your kids

and that's all that maters
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Yes Josh I'll take you up on that, anything to make the car look fantastic would be welcomed. Oh by the way guys, this is my 6 or 7th year doing it. I have won once and came in 2nd twice and got my butt kick the rest of the time. Now days they are making the cars a flat piece of wood about 1/4" thick, with paint and weights, and one wheel off the track ( winning is too important and no imagination), but not mine, mine will be sleek and cool and fast w/ Ridgid's name!! I get more thrills doing the cars w/ all my kids, they are learning tools and finishing, and they all hate the sanding job. I think every car or truck we've made we have at least 8 hours involved.
                Great job on the car Orange Apron, really like the painting, way to go....
                Oh Josh almost forgot, got any Ridgig orange spray paint?
                Last edited by garager; 02-23-2007, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks, and I hope I havent stolen you thread.

The cheat car belonged to a den leaders son. In the rules I read cars couldnt be over 7" and the wheels could only be sanded to get the flash off them. No one in our pack ever said anything about this car having narrow wheels. Im tempted for next year to get 2 sets of wheels ready. I felt bad about the design award, because I might have had "a little" to do with that (spent many hours carving it out, and most of the sanding) By next year Im going to have a bandsaw and the kid will be able to be CLOSELY supervised to cut his own car

Comment

Wish my boys would have gotten into the derby cars but instead they wanted to do R/C boats. I eneded up building a 1/8th scale hydro of miss budwieser and 2 smaller tunnel boats. Orange that is a sweet looking derby car. I am looking forward to seeing the Ridgid car. Good luck with the build.

Comment

do the wheels have to be flat on the track? or can you put some camber in them?(installing them at a slight angle to get the least amount of wheel contact to the track for less friction)
                      Last edited by oldslowchevy; 02-23-2007, 11:17 PM.
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

In the words of John Force 2nd ain't nothing but the 1st place loser.
                        SSG, U.S. Army
                        Retired
                        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Did the Derby twice with my boys. The first year we got destroyed. It was quite apparent at that time that many cars that were entered weren't made by children. It was a race amongst the fathers. The kid who won had this perfect wedge shaped car...immaculate.

The next year my sons came in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. The kid who won, was the brother of the kid who won before. The car looked exactly like the one his older brother won with.

I let my kids build theirs on their own. They drew profiles on paper and I rough cut them out with the jigsaw so no one would lose a finger. Than I gave them files and sandpaper and let them go to town.

The only other thing I did, the second year, was polish and lube their axles for them and install the wheels. My youngest son's car looked like a mess but it was all his and he was very proud of it.

Comment

In our club races, one wheel can be bent upwards so only 3 wheels are running, but I do not allow my kids to do this, win or lose they are running all 4 wheels touching. No modification towards the wheels other then sand down the burs on the wheels surface. We have a class for adults only, and the scouts only, then when every race is done, then its adults against the kids. And of course most of the kids car are done with a lot of help from adults, what can you say or do, you cannot tell a child, sorry you can't race because it looks like you did not build this car. We just bite our tongue and have fun. Yes, damn near every car that wins is just a flat board and paint and weights. We do give out a trophy for the nicest looking car, everything from hot dogs, trucks, semi, boats, race cars, you name it. However now days there seems to be less of that, but I'll take pictures and post them here around the 18th of march. When I take a picture of my car I think I'll make it my Avatar, Ridgid tools are cool...
                            Last edited by garager; 02-24-2007, 10:33 AM.

Comment

My sons car is far from a flat board. I thought about that when I designed the front grill, and I did some research and at the speeds these cars are rolling at aerodynamics hardly makes a difference. It is all in the lack of friction.

As far as second place being the first looser goes. If the first place guy is cheating it hardly makes 2nd all that bad. I was about to call the guy out on his narrow wheels, but Sam's ear to ear, double trophy fisted grin made me let it go.

Comment

Working...
                              X