X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Ridgid vac is dead.

Yesterday, while cleaning out the car, the switch on the vac stopped working. I've got the 16 gal. blower/vac.

The on/off switch itself just broke. For some reason, you just can't physically push it into the "on" position.

I'm a bit disappointed since I just got this for xmas, but hopefully I can just bring it back to HD and exchange it.

I'll let y'all know how that goes.

Re: My Ridgid vac is dead.

should be within the 90 day exchange window

Comment

I'm going to go tonight and see if they'll exchange just the blower part. Saves me having to load the whole thing into my Sunfire.

Comment

You might be better off if you call first and ask them if they'll do that. Just might save you an extra trip back to HD with the cannister.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have the same vac and the switch is hard to turn on/off sometimes. I do use it alot though. I think mine is out of the 90 day window. Thinking of buying a seperate switch and hanging it under my TS.
          If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is exactally what is wrong with America. HD and Ridgid would rather take the return and trash an almost perfectly good vac instead of just fixing a 2 dollar switch. I used to be in retail and it made me sick seeing all the stuff that went into the shreader or compactor. It's all built into the pricing I guess. Personally, I try to keep things going as long as possible before buying a new one. And when I do bite the bullet, I scavange all I can off my poor old crap before it goes in the can.

Oh well, i feel better now! LOL

Mark
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

T W M

I'm with you 100% on trying to fix up things needing simple repairs rather than just trashing them. Think of the landfill space people could save. I want the drum from the vac. With casters under it, think of what a handy trash can it would make.

Actually WW can ship the head to me and I'll figure a way to install a nice heavy duty bat handle switch. He will end up with "Better Than New" then.

Comment

I'm with you guys - I'd replace the switch with a heavy duty toggle.

Comment

If the vac was a year old, I'd replace the switch in a heartbeat. I completely disassembled and rebuilt my old Hoover canister vac.

This is less than 2 months old though! I shouldn't have to be doing repairs on it at this point!

It would definitely be a big waste if Ridgid just tosses it in the trash. I can't imagine they'd do that though. I expect they'll replace the switch and give it to the next person who comes in to service a dead motor or something.

Comment

WW

Being that it's that new, take the WHOLE thing, yes, the WHOLE thing back to HD with your reciept and try to get a new one. I really doubt they will allow just the head to be exchanged. Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                      WW

Being that it's that new, take the WHOLE thing, yes, the WHOLE thing back to HD with your reciept and try to get a new one. I really doubt they will allow just the head to be exchanged. Good luck and please let us know what happens.
                      I just figured I'd be doing them a favour by just bringing the head. I don't need all brand new cleaned up stuff. They can just give me the new one... I'll swap the heads... and they can send the new stuff and broken head back to Ridgid. That way we both win. With all the above comments about just fixing it, I would think everyone would agree that this is the next best solution. What are they gonna do with all the other dirty bits and pieces?

Didn't get around to it last night. Maybe tonight.

Comment

I have to say I am ( Generation X ) but grewup with my GrandPaw and as much as I know things are made disposable I cant help but want to fix them and make them like new.////// People have for gotten that you can fix things it's just that they dont have the time to do it. so they would rather throw them away or send the whole thing back than take the time to fix it them selfs and thus the whole generation of ( I dont know how it works just that it dose ) and it annoyes me to know end....
                        American by birth. Canadian at heart.

Comment

Originally posted by mcarr184 View Post
                          I have to say I am ( Generation X ) but grewup with my GrandPaw and as much as I know things are made disposable I cant help but want to fix them and make them like new.////// People have for gotten that you can fix things it's just that they dont have the time to do it. so they would rather throw them away or send the whole thing back than take the time to fix it them selfs and thus the whole generation of ( I dont know how it works just that it dose ) and it annoyes me to know end....

That's not me at all. But again... I shouldn't have to fix a brand new product. I'll fix old products that have had a good run and deserve a bit of TLC to keep going.

Comment

WW

Good luck and please let us know how things turn out. I have a strong feeling they will demand the whole machine with all accessories and even the box for it. Anymore big box stores want the whole thing including the box. I figure either thay ship it back to the factory service center or they sell it (hopefully labeled as a return or as defective) to someone else if it looks new. I've bought a few things (not many) that sure looked like factory sealed boxes only to get home, open them and find used and messed up items inside. Try taking that back for another. Oh no Mr. Customer. We will nto allow that to be returned after you used and abused it. But that's the way you sold the *&^% thing you *&^%$ business. For the most part that doesn't happen, but it can and has.
                            Last edited by Woussko; 02-28-2007, 02:21 AM.

Comment

I think in this case where the vac is fairly new, it'll be replaced with a new one the old shipped back to Ridgid. Repaired by Ridgid, then end up at a Cummins tool sale as reconditioned with a 1 year warranty. In my case where the switch is sticking, sometimes, and it's not in the 90 day window, I'll have to wait for it to stop working and have it repaired under the regular warranty. If it stops out of warranty, I will probably replace the switch.
                              If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Working...
                              X