Keeping your Computer Running Quick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keeping your Computer Running Quick

Thank You VASandy & Josh! I regard myself as a computer idiot, almost an illiterate. After following your advice, my computer has never worked so fast, and things that never have worked, seem to function now!
    Amazing what you get on the Ridgid Forum.

Comment

Another great little piece of software to keep u running fast is Cleanup. www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup It cleans up alot of crap that u can either do manually or just click on this app and does it all for you. You will love the sound it makes when u start this app. After it completes, it will ask u to logoff. Just say no. It will cleanup the rest of the files once u reboot. I recommend running this weekly. The first time u run it will take a long time since alot of people don't clean their system.

Comment

Originally posted by sprite View Post
        Another great little piece of software to keep u running fast is Cleanup. www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup It cleans up alot of crap that u can either do manually or just click on this app and does it all for you. You will love the sound it makes when u start this app. After it completes, it will ask u to logoff. Just say no. It will cleanup the rest of the files once u reboot. I recommend running this weekly. The first time u run it will take a long time since alot of people don't clean their system.
        Havent heard of this one before guys. so proceed with caution. Anyone else ever run this?

Josh

Comment

http://www.webroot.com/

I like Window Washer and Spy Sweeper by them. This is not some new fly-by-night company. They've been around. It's too bad you have to pay for it, but then good software takes work to make and keep updated.

Comment

Never heard of it, I do have everything Woussko has and more, a registry cleaner is good, but if you don't know what your doing or deleting out, stay away from it, I've litterly crashed my system twice goofing around in the registry. If you don't mind and know how to reinstall everything you lost, then knock yourself out. I like fast computers, so clean, clean, clean your systems. Oh ya if you down load something from the internet do your research on who they are. I like CNET.com as a reference.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I have been using this app for years and every computer I'm asked to fix(get rid of spyware) I install Spybot, AVG, Cleanup and Highjackthis. Also disable alot of apps from starting(MSCONFIG).

Comment

Sprite

You do have a good idea using MSCONFIG on a Windows system and limiting what starts during bootup. Normally far too much ^%$# starts.

Comment

I have a computer in my shop right now...and old(er) Compaq. For some reason....it was configured with the single 150GB drive divided into 3. The boot is drive E which is all of 4GB....well, that's not gonna work with XP is it, Compaq?!?! No wonder they were having so many problems with it!!! Just trying to get Ghost on it to make an image...it's pretty much not an option. I'll have to wipe out, remove all previous partitions and completely reinstall the OS.

I know a lot of people like to subdivide their drives, and there are some very compelling reasons for doing so. I have to warn you that with Windows, it's not a very good idea, however. The operating system grows so huge over time, since every application has to write files to OS specific directories. You'll overwhelm even a 20GB partition in time.

For those of you that want to partition an operating-system only part on the drive...please keep this in mind. You will, eventually, come to regret that decision. Whatever virus and other crud got on the system (viri are small..so apparently there was room for them..yay...), also got into the application and the data partitions. Keeping worms and viri away from your data is no reason to partition your drive.
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sprite, I have been saved a couple of times using the same about the combination. Spybot, AVG, Cleanup and Highjackthis. Also disable alot of apps from starting(MSCONFIG).
                    I also have Ad-Ware S.E Plus and Ewido.

Great programs to have. I have most of them also stored on a
                    usb memory stick. I take the stick along to use when when my
                    friends have problems.

I highly recommend Cleanup and Highjackthis.
                    What Spybot don't get, Adware gets, what they may miss
                    Ewido seems to get. Cleanup for some reason helps on some nastys
                    all of them miss.

Comment

Why not just have more than one hard drive? In my PC, I currently run (2) 80 GB EIDE drives. The second drive is my own stuff and the main drive is the OS and programs. In addition, I burn backup CDs of my work files about once a week or if I'm doing something special, I may burn a CD right after saving files. I'm thinking someday that I might get an external USB2 hard drive. Now if I can just win some $$$.

I'm with Sandy that you don't want drive or partition C to become too small or you'll really have your work cut out for you. Anymore the OS alone takes up too much space.

Comment

One more thing I forgot to mention - if you really want to rid yourself of spyware, trojans, crashes and all that other crap, buy an Apple!

Comment

VASandy: Keeping a separate partition for the OS and installed programs is generally a good idea.

I don't do this to keep the vermin away from the data. You're right... if they're going looking for data then they're going to find it. The separation makes sense though in the ease of rebuilding the system if it's overcome with things like spyware and the like or if it's simply become a big mess after a few years.

It's often a good idea to rebuild the software on a system every couple years. This just makes it very easy. You can wipe out the whole partition and start fresh rather than worrying about which data you have to back up and what not.

You're right in that 4 gb is too small though. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than 10. Currently, my OS partition is 30 gb. Drives are so big these days that this shouldn't be an issue.

Woussko, it doesn't really matter whether you have multiple drives or multiple patitions on the same drive. The key is to be able to easily wipe out the "drive" with the OS on it and start fresh without worrying about your data.

Comment

WW

Yes and no on the 2 drives. It depends on how you set them up and use them. Long story here but here's a hint. I have a second C drive (not installed but kept in a safe place) setup and ready for that "Just in case" mess. By the way I got them on a special sale so the $$$ factor wasn't that bad. Partitions are a must too.

The real best way is to have more than one of everything and a good tech, but that does cost too much $$$.
                            Last edited by Woussko; 03-17-2007, 12:31 PM.

Comment

For the purpose of system re-install, a seperate data partition does definately help. You still have to reinstall all the apps, but your data stays safe. In lieu of a good backup routine (and how many of us do that....), a sperate partition is ok. Keep in mind that if the drive itself goes bad, your data is still toast without a backup. Logical partitions are still on the same drive. A dual drive setup is a better idea, in the long run.

Running a mirrored setup is probably the best for data retention. With matched drives in a RAID-0 (mirror) array, you will have the best of both worlds. If one drive fails, you can break the mirror array, and have the good drive as your primary. I've done this before and it really does work. Keep in mind, if you have a virus/worm/trojan it will be on the mirror as well. You still have to get, use, and update your anti-virus and anti-spam software.

I recently started using Symantec Ghost for backup. Right now, I'm investigating their enterprise edition for making images of customer machines. The problem is it won't work over Internet. It'll help me with this one system I have to destroy and rebuild with better partitioning, however.

For single-system use, Symantec Ghost 10.0 and an external HD is a great way to go. It's painless to setup, and painless to keep running. Ghost sits in the background and will fire off a backup job on the schedule you setup. Mine is at 3am on 3 days a week. If you turn off your computer regularly, you may want to find a couple days you can start your computer, start a backup job and head off to work. It'll be done when you get back. I think mine takes about half an hour all told to run a complete system image backup. I can retrieve individual files, or restore the entire system. It has a bootable CD option for whole system recovery. I like easy....
                              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                                Running a mirrored setup is probably the best for data retention. With matched drives in a RAID-0 (mirror) array, you will have the best of both worlds. If one drive fails, you can break the mirror array, and have the good drive as your primary. I've done this before and it really does work. Keep in mind, if you have a virus/worm/trojan it will be on the mirror as well. You still have to get, use, and update your anti-virus and anti-spam software.
                                I
                                Good tips, but I think you meant to say RAID 1. RAID 0 (Redundant Display of Independent (or Inexpensive) Disks) is striped, meaning it writes half the data to each disk, speeding up the process considerably. The computer sees the set of both drives as one big drive, but if one fails, all the data is screwed up. RAID 1 is mirrored, meaning identical data is written to each drive (what you described). The RAID 1 is good for critical data, but is most useful in servers, due to the high mechanical demands on the drives from the constant running. It was designed to guard against mechanical failure of the hard drive, and allows one in a server to be isolated and replaced without having to shut down the server. At one time I would have said RAID 1 was overkill for most home computers, but with the price per byte going down and the quality going down, too, it might be a good idea. As you clearly pointed out, RAID 1 will not prevent a virus or trojan horse damage, as the data is written to both drives the same.

Go
                                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                                X