X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keeping your Computer Running Quick

Yeah...I meant RAID 1. Sometimes I stay up too late...

Mainly mirroring is to protect data. Since drives are cheap, and like you said, cheaply made, it's worth it these days for a homeowner. My first experience in RAID 1 was with a server system. That was in the days of Novell 3.x!! Been a while, and there's been some improvement in the interfaces for RAID controllers, so it's easy enough for a home user to implement it. You no longer have to be a computer engineer to do it.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

If you have important data on your PC a RAID 1 mirror setup is a good idea. You can pickup a RAID 1 card for cheap, and with the price of hard drives as low as they are it's not an issue.

I used Ghost for years and it worked for me. Then I found Acronis True Image. I find that it's so much better than Ghost - way faster and much higher compression. Plus it works with Linux EXT file system, unlike Ghost which hoses your system!
      I just burn my HD image to a DVD disc.

Comment

Thanks for the information about True Image, Newman. Looks very interesting. Since I'm sitting here with a PURCHASED copy of Ghost Enterprise 2.0 that they have YET to send me my licence for, I'm in the market for something that WORKS, as well as a company that can figure out how to sell over the Internet. I'm about done with Symantec.

After all the negativity I've seen about HD customer support, y'all should be glad you don't have to deal with Symantec's. They've outsourced every single piece of their support to India. Their people there, while they speak English, have such a heavy accent I can barely understand them. That and they have NO CLUE what is really going on, and are merely reading off a list of responses. I hate to turn this into a rant against Symantec, but I'm pretty well peeved by now. I've been sitting here waiting for my Ghost License to arrive via email, and yet nothing. It's really starting to hang up my production process. I just can't sit here twiddling my thumbs waiting for someone to send me the license I have purchased. They were able to get me the download link in 2 hours, but can't get me the LICENSE?!?!?! *several expletives deleted* The heck with them!!! I'm going to vote with my feet and dump everything Symantec as soon as possible. I only hope they can get me a refund for this stupid Ghost Ent. edition.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

As always though, none of this is a replacement for a good backup routine.

Putting all your data onto a dvd once a week or so is just good practice.

There's always bad things that can happen, from an unexpected power surge, a virus, a controller problem, to someone simply breaking in and stealing your gear that the RAID solutions won't help with.

I've known people who've lost years worth of digital photos because they never backed anything up.

Comment

Wild has it right. We really do need to backup all of our WORK files on removable media such as CDs or DVDs so we might use them on another computer at another location. Like it or not floods and fires do happen. A good direct lightning strike on a power line and it's KABOOM for you and your electrical equipment. Only on removable media stored in another location (Think bank safety deposit box maybe) is your valued data safe. It's wise to make more than just one copy. Do this weekly or any time you save a high value file. What's say $2 in media next to many hard hours of work time?

Comment

Symantec is horrible. I've had so many headaches with their products. They seem to buy out all the other small software companies and in the process ruin those products too. Just like they did with Ghost.

If you're going to back up your data onto DVD media it's not a bad idea to make duplicates and use different brands of high quality media so just in case one brand fails over time, you might have a second chance with the other.

Comment

Working...
              X