Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Garager's RIDGID Pinewood Derby Car

Originally posted by Orange Apron View Post
    That looks awesome. Plus now I dont feel as bad about how much I did to my (sons) car We won best design and also took 2nd place
    Thanks, however this car is my work, my boy made a blue car. I didn't inter vein with his project, he made his own car and I made mine, which I couldn't enter it into best design, since that was for the kids. Which was fine with me, I just enjoyed building the car and racing it, it was all fun.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
      Thanks, however this car is my work, my boy made a blue car. I didn't inter vein with his project, he made his own car and I made mine, which I couldn't enter it into best design, since that was for the kids. Which was fine with me, I just enjoyed building the car and racing it, it was all fun.
      THANK GOD for this last post! I was Cubmaster for quite a few years and encountered many a dad like you. Finally, I just formulated a "dads" race which became the intermission entertainment between pack and district races. Really cool cars came out of that and the kids actually got to do their own cars cause dad had one to do too!

Of course none quite as sharp as that one! Very nice job!

Clato

Comment

With the above comments I must admit I am a misinformed dad. I did do most of Sams car. My wife ended up taking Sam to the meeting when they handed out the cars. There were several dads who made their own cars. I really shouldnt have let Sam accept the best design award, but the 2 trophy fisted ear to ear grin on his face was priceless to me. There were alot of cars that looked "dad built" in our troop, so I (wrongly) justified Sam getting best design. Part of me wanted to tell the Cubmaster to give the design award to the 2nd place in design kid. I was irritated that the first place race winner had his wheels shaved to about half of their normal thickness, especially since it was a den leaders kid who won the 1st place.

Comment

Well folks, another year has zipped by. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures I posted, haven't looked at them since back then. I did really enjoy making that one, that was a lot of fun. And once again thanks for all the kind responses.

Any how, we got another one coming up in just over a month. So I was kinda hoping you members would help me in the designing of this years Ridgid Car. Yes, its going to be Ridgid again. Since I have boughten a lot more of their tools and non of them has gone bad on me. They still have honors, no I'm not brown nosing...

These are the rules, and I hope I get lots of responses for this years build. In fact, the car doesn't even have to look like a car, just as long as it meets their rules. Also, I'm not a good carver, so keep this in mind. Thanks all...

Following are the inspection points

1. The car weight shall not exceed 5.0 ounces. The official race scale shall be considered final.
          2. The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
          3. The overall width of the car shall not exceed 2 ¾ inches.
          4. The car must have 1 ¾” clearance between the wheels.
          5. The car must have 3/8” clearance underneath the body.
          6. The wood provided in the kit must be used. The block may be shaped any way that is desired.
          7. The wheels supplied with the kit must be used. The wheels may not be cut, drilled, beveled or rounded. You may remove the seam from the wheels.
          8. The axles supplied with the kit must be used. They may be polished or lubricated.
          9. Wheel bearings, washers or bushings are prohibited.
          10. The car must not ride on any type of springs.
          11. The car must be freewheeling, with no starting devices.
          12. No loose material of any kind, such as lead shot, may be used.

Each car must pass inspection by the official inspection committee before it will be allowed to compete. The Inspection Committee has the responsibility to disqualify those cars that do not meet these specifications.

Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

what about shaping is something like a canoe, pointy at both ends and a bit wider in the middle.
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

something like this one........
              Attached Files
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Wow,

This brings back memories of when I was a little shrimp.

The car my dad built for me won all races, including the finals. It's somewhere but don't know where.

Here was the trick, and it was perfectly legal at the time but I need someone on this thread to tell me if it's illegal now:

Powdered graphite where wheel rides on axle (drive-in nail back in the day)

The wheel will spin a long time meaning excellent loss of friction.

Drilled a hole in the back center of the car, put bb's inside the wood to be back heavy but partially centered.

At the time, this was legal *1975*.

I'm pretty sure that's the only time I won anything back in that day and age but it was inspirational as hell. I'll probably find out here that it was massively cheating. I'll have to notify the proper authorities.

Being forced to drink cub's blood was just, mind-numbing.

Powdered graphite is in a squeeze tube, it's used for locks and it's basically ground up like a fine powder.

The bb's of course had to added till it met the weight limit. The hole was drilled slight angle down like it was

ramped inside the body, puttied in where they didn't move or rattle.
                Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 01-30-2008, 02:35 PM.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

We use lead weights, which can be placed anywhere on the car to bring it to the exact weight limit. Graphite, everyone uses. I even use jewelry sand paper on the nails(axles) for fine smoothness and sand down all the burrs on the wheels when they were molded. We got the tricks and so does everyone else, I'm not super interested in winning, more at the stage of uniqueness.

OSC, there is a single pin that holds the cars in place at the top of the track, this means that nose shape would have to balance on the pin. If it slides off to the side, then the wheels will touch the sidewall on the track. Meaning the other car would be at the finish line, before mine would be half way there.

But we are getting somewhere, I didn't think anyone was going to reply back, so thanks, guys.

I was thinking about a tool shape of a car, maybe. I stink at carving though...

Comment

Your rules are a little more strict than ours, Garager. We can use aftermarket wheels and axles. Both pieces can be modified. Last year was the first time I had done the Pinewood Derby, with my youngest son.

I started by sizing and squaring up the block of wood in the Bridgeport. I then drilled the axle holes while the block was still secured to the table. I remember from my heads-up drag racing days how important it is to have the wheels square with each other.

I chose to angle the axles at a 5 degree upward slope to keep the wheel riding as far out as possible, and keep it away from the body of the car, for less friction. This was a mistake. Half-way down the ramp, we had a full car length lead on every car we raced, but at the finish line we were 2 full cars behind.

Next time I am going to undercut the axles where the wheel rides and fill that area up with graphite.

Another advantage I looked for was how the cars were held and subsequently released in the starting blocks. Since last year was my first year I didnt know if the starting block raised up, or lowered down, or how it released. If the starting gate had raised up, I would have shaped the front of the car to be pointed at the bottom, possibly giving a nano-second of an advantage there. If the starting gate had lowered down, I would have tapered the car to be pointed at the top.

I think all tracks are a little different. With the one we used last year, a car with a high most-forward point would have a slight advantage.

IIRC, we ended up with a 70% rear weight bias with all the weight on the bottom of the car. This might not be optimal, but it made sense to me at the time.

Your car is the coolest looking one I have seen.

Comment

Thanks Ruudacguy, last years most of the dads were making wafer thin car bodies, thick enough to hold the nails and wheels. They won the races, with a flat piece of wood and weights, to get it to exactly 5 ounces. No style at all, all they wanted was to prove that they're kids had the fastest car and also their own. I most certainly had the coolest car, I think I came in second last year, can't remember and to lazy to read my past post. Its a lot of fun, making a real Pinewood Derby race car with the kids. But if you wanna win, its the flat board style and the weights.... Thats not me though......Mark

Comment

winning is not every thing if you had fun with your kids and the car looks as good as yours then thats all that matters
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Just thought you guys might want to know there are Pinewood Derby Racing Leagues now. Even after your Scout derbies are over you can continue to compete in monthly races. Here is a link to one in Minnesota (PM for INFO) You will also find all kinds of info on the site for building a fast pinewood derby car !!
                          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 11-05-2008, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X