X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with casters on wet/dry vac

Just purchased a 16 gallon 2 in 1 wet/dry vac. Can anyone give me a clue as to getting these casters into the hole that appears to be too small or do I have to get the neighborhood "gorilla" to help me? I've pushed until I am and even tried a rubber hammer to no avail. Is there a secret to doing this?

Re: Help with casters on wet/dry vac

I used a rubber mallet and worked fine. Was able to push one in with my hand and figured the mallet would be easier on me for the other three as it wasn't that easy.
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Brute force isn't the answer. Maybe you have a defective one, or maybe you're trying to get them into the wrong hole. Be sure all 4 casters are the same or that you have 2 and 2. If they aren't all the same, maybe there are a front set and a rear set.

Comment

Yeah, this doesn't sound right to me. Mine all went together with no issue at all.

Of course, then it broke. And then the replacement was broke...

Comment

Maybe try a little oil, but ya it doesn't sound right.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
            Yeah, this doesn't sound right to me. Mine all went together with no issue at all.

Of course, then it broke. And then the replacement was broke...
            Me too. They just sort of dropped in with a good push.
            Phil
            Tools Rule

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
              Maybe try a little oil, but ya it doesn't sound right.

Maybe some castor oil?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                Maybe some castor oil?
                Thanks for the suggestion! I just unpacked my new 12 gal wet/dry vac. No way are the casters snapping in, not even with a hammer! Was wondering if maybe I got a defective part...or four. However....oil? Can't hurt, right? I just tried some vaseline on the caster ends, and in they went....snap city.
                Now I'm off to clean out the garage. Thanks again!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kath View Post
                  Thanks for the suggestion! I just unpacked my new 12 gal wet/dry vac. No way are the casters snapping in, not even with a hammer! Was wondering if maybe I got a defective part...or four. However....oil? Can't hurt, right? I just tried some vaseline on the caster ends, and in they went....snap city.
                  Now I'm off to clean out the garage. Thanks again!!

I had the same problem with mine, I didn't use oil, but I remember it was a tight fit for sure.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

It's wild what a little oil or grease can do when put in the right place. It's even wilder what it can do when you toss in a few hammer blows.

Comment

I recently bought the 16 gal. wet/dry vac with detachable blower. When I was putting mine together I had a problem to start with getting the casters in. When I put the caster foot assembly and the accessory cady on, I tried to put the castors in the holes where I pushed the insert into the bottom of the drum. I finally figured out the casters did not go in those holes. There are holes out in the caster foot assembly and accessory cady where the casters went. I stuck the end of the caster in some petrolium jelly and they popped right in. I hope this helps.
                      BMJinGA - There's no substitute for experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X