• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Virginia Tech

Well put Sandy. I am in agreement with.
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

this may not be appropriate for this thread, and is in a form off subject, and is more of a Psychology question,

but why is it people accept some risks and reject others, why do people consider some acceptable death, and other tragic or unacceptable.

example: Cars, we give kids in most states the privilege to drive at 16, and that automobile is as deadly as any item in America,

Heart failure and Malignant neoplasms cause over half of all deaths of people over 45. Accidents and adverse effects resulting from the accidents is the leading cause of death for people under 45 to 1 year of age. Of all the causes of death due to accidents, the leading cause is motor vehicle accidents. Motor vehicle accidents remain a high risk for all age groups.
      http://www.disastercenter.com/cdc/

yes many are single car situations, but many are muliptial car accidents and other are the cause of others to die. IN most instances we don't even take note of the item on the news if it is stated at all,

unless it is local, motor vechile accidents are not even stated on the news, or unless it is a bus train situation,

example: on the occasion of the space shuttle reentry accident,
      that some day a military helicopter went down on a training exercise and 8 military people lost there lives in that accident, but the nation and the National news went on for weeks with the space shuttle. And after the first report on the chopper crash I never heard any more. (I think it was in Maryland is were the chopper crashed).

example: Young people in the battle zones, (same ages as the ones on the VTcampus) are being killed every day. and most are never even seen or reported except in a nondescript way, (XX number were killed today in Iraq).

was one group more valuable than the other?

maybe I am jsut not with it, but why is it we place a greater since of tragedy on one happening and not another,

~~~~~~~~~

while I am off subject, one more why question?

If a person dies of accidental/or traumatic causes, and there out in the "field" (road way, mountain accident, other, etc), and die on the scene, people put up a memorial, but if there injured and transported to a hospital and die in a hospital, then usually nothing is done.

What is the thinking behind this? Why in one place and not the other?
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD

You have very good points. I tend to wonder the same. Isn't the life of a person of the same value as that of another? To the media, I guess not. While what happened at Virginia Tech will be remembered with saddened hearts, it should have been on natinal TV news that in just one day, any day there are more people killed on the highways of the USA. I for one do not and never have approved of 16 year olds driving. I also feel that all states need to mandate strict driver education programs where the state Govt. sets up the classes, selects worthy instructior and that anyone that applies for a license must take their classes and pass with high grades or it's "You Will Not Drive In Our State" and that's that. Where I live all we do is pay a fee every 5 years, get a new picture taken and fill out simple forms and we get our new license. Because of age, I do have to take along a simple form from my eye doctor, but NOT my medical history or anything about health related issues. This is insane.

After reading and thinking more, I have to add that people of ALL ages wanting to renue their license really should be made to take a good medical exam with lots of paper work for their doctor and also have to have their eyes well checked too. In some places you just mail in your simple paperwork and that's all there is to it. EEEEEEEEK Soon will really will have primates driving on our highways.
        Last edited by Woussko; 04-23-2007, 05:06 PM.

Comment

lol you are complaing about 16 year olds driving???? please come down here to florida and take a drive....................................please.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

O S C

Come now.... You need to be nice to the old blind seniors and to the Hispanics that can't read our signs. Get yourself a tank and drive it around. That should get you some R E S P E C T on the road.

Comment

tonight at 10 pm the history chanel will be having a specal about what happend there

http://www.history.com/shows.do?acti...isodeId=222310

just thought this might be of some interest
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

as we come up to the six month mark of this sad event i just saw a glimps of this http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071013/..._tech_lawsuits

i was wondering how long it would be before this happened
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Dam Lawyers, we know they like to hound any situations possible. All I did was read a sentence, as soon as I hear/see/read Lawyers and/or Lawsuits, forget it, I'm not interested in reading/hearing/seeing anymore.
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                  X