X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• submersible pump not working

I've got a Ridgid TP-160 Submersible Utility Pump. I know it is working as it water sprays 12 feet in the air when the hose is not attached. As soon as I attach the hose, no water flows.

I have tried repositioning and straightening the hose. There are no kinks in the hose. I can blow air through it so I know there are no obstructions. The hose is about 30 feet long. From the pump the hose goes up about six inches runs along a floor for ~29 feet then to the drain.

Why is the hose impeding the flow?

NEil McVicar

Re: submersible pump not working

Originally posted by nmcvicar View Post
    I've got a Ridgid TP-160 Submersible Utility Pump. I know it is working as it water sprays 12 feet in the air when the hose is not attached. As soon as I attach the hose, no water flows.

I have tried repositioning and straightening the hose. There are no kinks in the hose. I can blow air through it so I know there are no obstructions. The hose is about 30 feet long. From the pump the hose goes up about six inches runs along a floor for ~29 feet then to the drain.

Why is the hose impeding the flow?

NEil McVicar
    Could the hose somehow be impeeding the pumps priming process.

Comment

I think you're having problems with an air lock. Please try this and I hope it helps. Tie a short rope on the handle. With the pump just started up, lift it out the the sump and then lower it to the bottom quickly. If you are trying to deal with water on the floor less than about an inch deep, you'll be pretty much out of luck. That's where a good push broom and wet/dry vac come in. The bottom part including the impeller needs to be under water when you start it up.

Comment

THanks for the responses.

I've tried sucking to get the hose primed and get a bit of a syphon going.
        I've also tested the pump by filling a bucket with ~4 inches of water. That got a bit of flow moving but eventually stopped. I've dismantled the bottom part of the pump (like an enclosure surrounding the impeller with water intake holes) to see if there is a lot of chunks in there. Nothing.

It really should be working. I'm just going to take it back to Home Depot on warranty.

Neil

Comment

it sounds like the pump is air locked. the hose can create a trap and not allow the air bubble to vent. as the water comes up, there will be an air bubble trapped between the impeller and the pump.

try drilling a 3/16'' hole into the discharge line below the check valve and inside the pit. this will allow any trapped air to properly vent.

do you have a check valve installed?

what size is the discharge hose?

still sounds like an air lock issue.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Well, I appreciate all of the advice above.

BUT....

I don't have a sump pit nor a check-valve. I am operating this pump on the floor just as the package, the instructions, and the Home depot guy suggest.

I've got the pump and a garden hose and I'm following the instructions in the box. I realise that this little pump is a light duty piece of equipment but I thought that was all I needed. This floor of this little area of the basement is about 9 inches lower than the rest of the basement (it is an addition to the house). So far I've been lucky as there hasn't been enough water to overflow into the rest of the basement.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you
            Neil M

Comment

Just so people understand, this is NOT a regular sump pump. It's a "Light Utility" type pump. You connect a garden hose to them and normally there's no check valve used. I hate to say this, but I really think you would be much better off with a good wet/dry vac that has a drain on the lower front of the drum. With one of them you have a multi use machine and you won't have the priming and/or air lock problems. Rick's idea of an air bleed hole may really help.

Comment

Woussko is right.

I should have provided this link before:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/TP-160-U...Pump/index.htm

It is hard to see the outlet. In the image the outlet juts out at the bottom left.

I really don't want to buy another pump because chances are I'll never even need it again. But just in case I'd like to get this one working if I can.

I must say that I am disappointed in this pump. It does not work as advertised by Ridgid. The instruction manual says that it can prime and pump when standing in as little as 1/2 inch of water. Wrong.

Many thanks.

Neil M.

Comment

If you have a wet/dry vac of any size, please try this as it should help with the priming issue.

1. Setup pump with discharge hose attached

2. Sit pump so base is in water and power it up

3. Quickly use your wet/dry vac to suck on the end of the discharge hose until water flows into the drum.

4. Put the end of the hose where you want and let it pump away

I have a similar utility pump of another brand and it's always a pain to prime unless I use the above tricks on it. If I have a foot or more water depth, then I tie a rope to the hangle and raise and lower it with it running. Sometimes a quick drop into the water helps. The problem is with air getting trapped and that's where Rick's little hole can help. Another idea that can help is to install a Y with (2) 1/4 turn valves. You attach the hose and leave that side wide open. When starting the pump leave the other side open too until you get a good blast of water coming out. Then close it and that should work. See below for a picture of the Y fitting that I have in mind. The plastic ones should work and don't cost much. Be sure you have good hose washers in all female ends. If you like you can also buy the same in zinc or brass.
                  Attached Files

Comment

THanks for the advice. I'll try these suggestions.

Cheers,
                    Neil M

Comment

Working...
                    X