Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie plumber torches multi million dollar mansion

oops!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jbergstrom; 04-18-2007, 04:44 PM.
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Re: Rookie plumber torches multi million dollar mansion

ouch!! bet he is out looking for work tomarrow.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Ouchie!!! The report says it was a teenager apprentice on his first day...poor lad!
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
        Ouchie!!! The report says it was a teenager apprentice on his first day...poor lad!
        Yeah, not a very good way to start a career...

I'm not a plumber but whenever I have to solder something close to anything else I slip a piece of left over Hardi-plank behind it (cement siding).
        Last edited by jbergstrom; 04-20-2007, 04:41 AM. Reason: spelling (Newman)
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

who gives a torch to a teenage on there very frist day on the job? why is he not being a "gofor" would you have a new kid sweating pipe on the frist day on a job this size unsupervised? to me the problem now that i have had a day or two to think about this is not this kids fault though i bet he lost his job over this. i say it is not his fault because i bet he has no idea how to correctly soider pipe and in an attic i bet the wasn't a jorney man with in 100 feet of him.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I'm not a plumber but I would think any fire you start with a torch would be quickly managed. I have only don't a limited amount of sweating pipes but I work in construction and have seen my share of torch marked 2x4. So I know they can take some heat. My point is you have got to be real idiot to burn the whole house down.

Comment

This was a very old building. It's an attic space....who knows what was used for insulation up there over the ages? I agree with OSC about the fault lying squarley on the shoulders of the crew manager. Apprentices on their first day don't weild the dangerous flamey stuff!!!
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

you've never seen anything burn so quickly, until you catch old stucco lath or roofing felt on fire.

i like soapy water to spray prior to soldering near combustiables.

i like propress even better

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

In reading the story it sounds like the expanded polystyrene foam in the attic may have caught fire.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I did some work for a plumbing contractor who was re-plumbing an apartment complex after his plumber burned down over 100 units trying to solder a plastic ice maker box

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      I did some work for a plumbing contractor who was re-plumbing an apartment complex after his plumber burned down over 100 units trying to solder a plastic ice maker box
                      Wasn't there an almost complete condo project in your neighbor 10-15 years ago which burned down due to a plumber's torch? As I recall it was an $8,000,000 lose.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        you've never seen anything burn so quickly, until you catch old stucco lath or roofing felt on fire.

i like soapy water to spray prior to soldering near combustiables.

i like propress even better

rick.
                        Yes I have Rick, I remember working in a commercial laundry we were running 6 and 8" copper up at the ceiling for a heat recovery system. The building was old style heavy timber frame construction and about 60 years old (in the late 1970s). There was about 6 inches of lint laying up on top of all the beams and other framing members. When you've using an LP ring torch to heat up 8" copper you've got a pretty big flame dancing around in your hand

I remember we almost lit up the whole building when one of the guys first started soldering and set off some lint. We quickly got it out with no damage to the building or injury to anyone. Then we got their maintenance crew to go around and suck up all the link with a big vac they had and all was well after that. Luckily the section where we started soldering was sorta isolated and the lint just flashed up and more or less burnt itself out in a couple seconds. If it had happened out over the main floor area it might have been a different story, one w/o a happy ending.

BTW: I do as you do Rick and keep a spray bottle of water handy when soldering near wood. I give it a light spray before I start soldering then hang the bottle close by in case I need it. This has worked well for me so far. Never tried it with soap though, how does that help or is it the same soap/water solution that you use for leak checking?
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

BTW: I do as you do Rick and keep a spray bottle of water handy when soldering near wood. I give it a light spray before I start soldering then hang the bottle close by in case I need it. This has worked well for me so far. Never tried it with soap though, how does that help or is it the same soap/water solution that you use for leak checking?
                          yes, it's the same soap for gas leak testing. the soap help the water cling onto the wood, walls,any flammables. it also helps in clean up and smells good

i've tried that gel that is suppose to keep things cool. very spendy and it has a shelf life.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                            who gives a torch to a teenage on there very frist day on the job? why is he not being a "gofor" would you have a new kid sweating pipe on the frist day on a job this size unsupervised? to me the problem now that i have had a day or two to think about this is not this kids fault though i bet he lost his job over this. i say it is not his fault because i bet he has no idea how to correctly soider pipe and in an attic i bet the wasn't a jorney man with in 100 feet of him.
                            This is the second time that chevy has been right. this may be the beginning of a beatiful friendship.

All kidding aside. Chevy is 100 percent correct.
                            the dog

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              Wasn't there an almost complete condo project in your neighbor 10-15 years ago which burned down due to a plumber's torch? As I recall it was an $8,000,000 lose.

Mark
                              Mark,

They were apartments,the name of the complex was the Knolls.We always refered to it as the coals.

The reason so much damage was done was the Ventura Co. fire dept was not prepared for the hydrants to be shut down.By the time L.A. Fire got onsite it was a gonner.

I was there the day of the fire.It was 100% unbelievable,full panoramic engulfment.

It was a saturday morning and the plumber was hung over.He had thought the fire he started was out.He figured since he was too drunk from the night before and the fire was out it was time for him to get out of there.

Unfortunately,the investigators summized,the 3" A.B.S. he was soldering next to re-ignited on the inside of the pipe stack and rose until it reached a 90 degree fitting and burned the top out thereby making that pipe a torch itself.It was out of control within moments.

The plumbing contractors insurance didn't even come close to covering the damage.He had to change his company name and agree to some special terms to make ammends.

All A.B.S. pipe was melted 2 feet below concrete.

Comment

Working...
                              X