X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Depot VS Ridgid vs Internet

I realize this post will receive snide remarks and the bullies will go wild..never the less.....

I understand inventory control and such..but....

Every item in Home Depot has a UPC code!
    When you buy anything at home Depot, you are UPC code scanned and charged accordingly. The Home depot computer system tracks this transaction.

So why can't the Home Depot website provide the shopper with product information..I'm not saying tell us stock levels etc. I'm saying if I look up say "dog door" The Home Depot site would show the product line they carry!
    The UPC code should be the reference.

The same for this ridgid site..We read many posts about "stuff by ridgid" but you can't look it up on this site. If Home Depot is the major distributor of Ridgid tools, why can't the two entities get together and provide potential customers with product information?

You often find more information on rigid products on E-BAY!!!!!

I know this requires manpower and dollars..but I bet if the websites provided better product detail and more details as to what the home depot offers, I bet the sales numbers would increase exponentially!

I would prefer to shop the Internet Home Depot, than drive to 2-3 Home Depot stores to see if they have what I want . with gas at over $3.00 a gallon I no longer go to home depot to wander the aisles to see what's neat!

Now granted you can't buy a 2x4 on the Internet..but you can check if they carry particular oak plywood, or hardware..or even order over the telephone for delivery if the order is large enough.

Cactus Man

Re: Home Depot VS Ridgid vs Internet

Are you talking about the HD website providing customers with the UPC or SKU numbers or the ability for a consumer to be able to check to see if a certain product is in stock in their local HD. Because if it's the former the HD website provides both the UPC and the instore SKU for any product on the website. If it's the latter then i'm guessing it's either a logistics problem or the simple reason that inventory counts are hardly ever right and i wouldn't trust them. If you want to find out if your local HD carries an item have the SKU or UPC handy and call them. That way they are actually going to check the item (well they should anyways) and give you a straight answer.

Comment

I hear you Cactusman

I do lots of estimates etc. and find it a pain that only a small percentage of what they carry is listed online.

For instance if I click Building Supplies, Building Materials I get ...

Adhesives & Sealants (30)
      Caulking & Caulk Guns (29)
      Drywall Tools & Supplies (26)
      Insulation (12)
      Ladders (13)
      Remodelling & Renovation Publications (5)
      Roofing and Concrete Repair (3)
      Tapes (4)
      Vacuums & Extractors (12)
      Ventilation (27)

No way to check the price of any kind of lumber period. Totally useless to me
      Cheers! - Jim
      -------------
      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I've noticed the same thing as you, jbergstrom. It bugs me to no end that I can't find out if they have a particular ply in stock and if they have whatever kind of board I need. The only reason I'm going to get stock at HD is in those emergency situations where the mill is closed and I require a piece to finish a project. These kinds of materials are more fluid and hard to track than say a tool...but still...they could improve that (and for a small fee, I'd be happy to show them how!!! )!! Maybe things are different at the contractor's desk, but even calling them to find out what's available is usually not a viable method.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

This may clarify my posting Cellardoor...

I want to see what styles of crown molding Home Depot carries. I type in
          "crown molding" and what do I get?
          I get some wall sconces and a note telling me due to shipping restrictions they can't ship crown molding....
          So what! I just want to see what styles they have, get some item numbers, then call my local Home Depot to see if they have the crown molding in stock!

I am looking for some 1/4-20 hex bolts grade 5. I type in "1/4-20 bolts"
          I get wall anchors! ..now I'll let you in on a secret...Home Depot at least the store I shop at has some 1/4-20 grade 5 bolts, washers, and nuts. I have seen them.

But if was not aware of that ,the Home Depot website is worthless in informing me of the fact that they do carry 1/4-20 grade 5 bolts.
          So I then go to another source and just that fast Home Depot lost a sale!

Loosing sales means loss of revenue, loss of profit, loss of the ability to pay quality employees, loss of jobs ...you get the idea...
          And this could have all been avoided if the Home Depot website listed
          1/4-20 grade 5 bolts.

I do realize every home Depot is slightly different in what they carry. I realize a store on the East coast is different than a store on the West coast. I just believe the "official Home Depot" website should provide information on what products they sell. Then the customer can call their local store to see if they stock it, or get specific details as to how to acquire the item.

Cactus Man
          Last edited by cactusman; 04-19-2007, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Actually, I was told, by an associate at HD, that they are two totally separate entities. There is no association between the online store and the brick and mortars.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
              Actually, I was told, by an associate at HD, that they are two totally separate entities. There is no association between the online store and the brick and mortars.
              You are correct in that sense that the HD website and the brick and mortar stores are two separate entities. That is why the HD website can have price discounts when the same item is normal price at the HD store. As to why this is, i have no idea. I'm just a lonely store associate and not one of the corporate big wigs.

And to respond to cactusman's post.

I totally agree that it would be wonderful to have the ability to do that but as you said the stock varies greatly from store to store. It varies the most in lumber and molding and flooring departments. The reason for that is every region has different suppliers that offer different things. Combine this on top of the fact that store size varies greatly and you've got a logistic nightmare. As convenient as it would be at this point in time, and not to mention the fact that HD runs several different computer programs, most of the time in which they are not compatible with each other, it just isn't feasible. I currently work in a store that has a sales plan of less than 16 million a year. I've also worked at a store that has a sales plan of over 50 million. These stores are within 75 miles of each other and use the same lumber suppliers but the stock that they carry in both molding and sheet goods are drastically different in some areas. I think it would be a disservice to you for the HD website to say that we carry, for example, 3/4" cabinet grade birch plywood when the store i work at now doesn't but the one i used to did. It doesn't take that much effort to just call up the store and talk to someone. I field calls all day long asking if we carry such and such.

Comment

It didnt have pics but there was at one time a "Home Depot Worksite CD Rom" for your computer. I havent seen one in years, but they will let you enter the store you prefer to shop at and it will ask you to update prices whenever you choose.

It was a free CD, I dont have any blanks right now but Im sure I could burn some if anyones interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange Apron View Post
                  It didnt have pics but there was at one time a "Home Depot Worksite CD Rom" for your computer. I havent seen one in years, but they will let you enter the store you prefer to shop at and it will ask you to update prices whenever you choose.

It was a free CD, I dont have any blanks right now but Im sure I could burn some if anyones interested.
                  I've never heard of it but that sounds like an excellent idea

The only problem OA is that I live in Canada. However you have given me a mission for tomorrow I'll stop by the pro desk and inquire if they have anything similar to what you're talking about. It would sure make things easier.

Cellardoor and Disaster I understand that the web site and the store are two different entities, but one represents the other
                  It can be done, I've seen it on other sites with other retailers.
                  In Canada they'll usually ask for a postal code and voila you get complete listings of everything that store in your area sells including whether or not it is in stock (matter of querying that stores database etc.)

I have noticed a change lately in HD's service and I believe in mentioning positive things and not just being negative all the time. I read the new presidents post on MSN and I'm starting to see a change. However their website basically sucks... The tool section is decent but the building supply section is useless... Like Cactusman said if people can't look up or find what they want they'll go to another source...
                  This internet thing is here to stay and they should take it seriously and invest in some software that works. They should also hire web savy people to run that entity. Look at Amazon or Ebay or Woodcraft or Rockler etc. etc.

Sorry for the mini rant but I hate web sites that are useless and suck waste of bandwidth
                  Cheers! - Jim
                  -------------
                  All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by jbergstrom View Post
                    I
                    The only problem OA is that I live in Canada.
                    First post, great site!

I don't know if the Canadian site has the option, but the US site has a link at the bottom of the main page "Just for Contractors".

If I click that link and select my local store, I can browse in-stock products and prices...including lumber.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by wilbilt View Post
                      First post, great site!

I don't know if the Canadian site has the option, but the US site has a link at the bottom of the main page "Just for Contractors".

If I click that link and select my local store, I can browse in-stock products and prices...including lumber.

Will
                      Hi there wilbilt
                      Welcome to the board

That sounds great, it would be the answer for sure

Unfortunately the link here does not have that. I sure wish it did
                      Cheers! - Jim
                      -------------

Comment

Working...
                      X