what changes have to be made?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what changes have to be made?

Disaster, those are all helpful suggestions now how do you get the people at Ridgid to read and respond to them? Seriously, if they go to the trouble to have this forum why not monitor the comments and take action? There have been dozens of posts regarding the new 18 volt lithium ion battery and how it was misrepresented and disappointing to the Ridgid owners who were looking forward to a 3.0 or higher AH product, you would think someone from Ridgid would post some replies and open a conversation on this topic. We are telling them what we want and if they do not meet our needs another company will, it's that simple. A lsa is useless if the customers tell you it is filled with problems. While the people at Ridgid sales and marketing are asleep, Ryobi, Dewalt and I don't know who else is bringing to market better products. Come on Ridgid, get with it or lose customers!

Comment

Just wanted to let you know we are reading this stuff. As far as the Ah rating stuff. I never posted that rating anywhere on this forum so what can I say. Its not up on our site either. And I know that there is no campaign trying to deceive you guys into buying the 18v li Its miss information from a rep who didn't know all the specs. I couldn't call anyone on it because I didn't know the specs myself. We carry thousands of skus and I don't know enough about battery rating to catch something like that. I'm the last person that will let misinformation stand on this site. This is just a matter of me never thinking twice that I needed to run out and research something someone posted.

I wish there was something I could say... I feel bad that the wrong specs got out there and passed around. This sites influence continues to grow within our walls. More and more of what is written is taken to heart here. Please know that your comments aren't being ignored. I push a lot of your input out within the company and more and more other employees are reading on their own. Its not perfect but it is read most of the time.

Josh

Comment

Josh, I appreciate your response and while it's good to know these posts are being read at your end it would be even better to get some specific feedback.
        For example, I've written several posts regarding the importance I place on higher AH 18 volt lithium batteries and the whole issue of misinformation and lack of information. Can you give an idea of whether or not Ridgid will be marketing the higher AH battery, and why Ridgid allowed Ryobi and others to beat them to the punch? Seriously, I have these Ridgid 18 volt tools and could get better performance out of them with those better batteries. I would also be encouraged to buy more of the select max tools if the stronger batteries were available. You and the other folks at Ridgid must appreciate the competition you face and the need for quick action. Thanks for listening and I hope a wider selection of 18 volt cordless tools will be available soon. The market and consumers are waiting.

Comment

Several months ago I purchased the Ridgid 18v compact lithium ion drill. I bought the drill even though I have the 18v hammer drill and the 9.6v screw gun because I thought it would fill a niche between the other two drivers, provide me with updated battery technology and put two more "light weight" 18v batteries at my disposal at a decent price. It did exactly that. In the stores that I frequent, this drill was flying out the door because of the qualities and value that it offered and there was nary a mention of Ah capacity nor was there a need to do so to facilitate the sale of this great tool. Yes, I follow some of the topics and threads on the forum and did notice that the Ah rating of the battery was being posted on the forum by its' members, but I discounted those ascertions because of the battery size, weight, and what it was designed to run - Ridgid's compact drill. Will it power other 18v products? Yes, but in my mind, it was marketed and packaged with the compact drill. Same can be said for the Makita compact - batteries CAN be used in other tools (I believe with modification to the battery), but they were designed for, and marketed with, the compact drill in mind as its' primary job function. The inclusion of two compact Ah batteries with each of these compact kits definitely provides enough power to run them all day and by dividing the weight of the batteries into two equal parts means you are hauling less weight around while completing your tasks. My thoughts tell me that the batteries do their assigned tasks admirably AND will probably even do an occaisional job in my high current draw tools - circular saw, recip saw, hand planer - up to a point and provide a steady current until they reach the point of shutting dow. Whereas, the NiCads will show some fade doing the same task. The 24v tools get good reviews because the batteries PACKAGED WITH THEM as a set effectively power the range of packaged tools. To some of the tools with the provided battery it is definitely power overkill while in others it's just fine. Just my thoughts - but the 18 volt battery sold with the compact drill is up to its' job duty and in that context presents the Ridgid company no problem.

Comment

Spinalzo, your post was well written and you made some valid points. I'm glad you and others like the new compact batteries, they fit your needs and also attract homeowners who might not need the heavier batteries and the growing market of women who are using these tools. I just want my needs taken care of too, when I saw this new kit at H/D and I saw the battery fit the older 18 volt nicad tools I was thrilled. Several calls to Ridgid's customer service confirmed the AH as greater than my 2.5 nicads. So you can understand my disappointment. Question remains, what will Ridgid do now that Ryobi has introduced a 2.4 AH lithium that back fits their tools? I hear Dewalt is bringing a higher AH lithium that will fit their older 18 volt nicad tools. Where does this leave guys like me who own $500.00 Ridgid tool kits that will not accept the 24 volt lithium battery? Do I wait and hope Ridgid give me that higher AH lithium, switch brands? I would like Ridgid to meet my needs and beat the competition. Of course Ridgid can make any tool or battery they want, but to forget the people who spent hundreds on their tools is not good for future sales. Should be a simple enough thing to do, I really don't want or need another set of tools just to get the batteries I want. Some of us need the higher AH's, so Ridgid please don't make us wait.
            Last edited by Frankiarmz; 10-09-2007, 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Im trying to get some answers on this. I dont know myself if we are planning a bigger battery.

Josh

Comment

Josh, thanks a lot for looking into this and pursuing an answer. Regardless of the results, you seem to be the kind of guy who is part of the solution and not part of the problem. Hope the people higher up the ladder have the same kind of work ethic. Thanks again.

Comment

From what I have seen, distribution, post-sale service, and availability of accessories seem to present some challenges for Ridgid. The 24v system has been out there for some time but the batteries are still, for all intents and purposes unavailable as a stand alone accessory. Frankly, I was surprised by the compact lithium drill offering. That Ridgid would release yet another lithium tool with unavailable batteries was beyond me other than a savvy grab at market share. Sub-18v Nicd batteries for older tools are available from parts direct, but what about the pro who's need for a new one came about today, and he needs it now to finish the job he started. The electrician who needs a 9.6v battery for his screwdriver today just might buy a Dewalt, or Bosch screwdriver rather than wait a week for a replacement battery to come in the mail.

I understand the relationship between Ridgid and HD. TTI agreed to make Ridgid for HD as their house brand. Ridgid builds the tools, HD sells them, but Ridgid gets all the blame for any problems such as lack of availability etc. Ridgid and HD need to streamline their relationship. If Ridgid is going to build a tool for HD, then HD needs to stock them universally. After all, HD asked Ridgid to build it for them. A common complaint on these boards is "I can't find an R****, and its not in stock at HD/on the HD site."

HD needs to step up and take Ridgid tools past the cash register and get involved with customer service beyond the sale. HD is an entirely different discussion although it is pertinent to this issue. As the number of service centers dwindles for all manufacturers, Ridgid and HD would stand to gain much market share if a Ridgid owner could take a tool into HD and seek service just as a Craftsman owner takes a broken tool to Sears. Ridgid, under TTI has only been building tools for HD for a few years and there will be growing pains. But TTI has been building certain tools for Sears for nearly twenty years so this is not new to them.

Last month I had a problem with my four year old Dell laptop (out of warranty). After helping me identify the defective part, Dell sent me a new part free of charge so long as I mailed the broken part back to Dell (prepaid by Dell). What made the greatest impact on me about the transaction was not the free part even though my Dell is out of warranty. It was the TIMELY RESOLUTION of my problem that was significant in gaining my continued following of Dell products.

As I've stated in another thread, I'm rooting for Ridgid, and for that matter for TTI. They are doing a pretty good job considering the convoluted relationship with HD. Josh reports that the folks at Ridgid are paying more attention to our comments here and I think that's outstanding. Hopefully, reviewing these boards will help Ridgid corporate to better understand we the customer, and help them to keep us.

Just my two cents,
                  Ern

Comment

Batteries

No doubt Josh is a good one. I am sorry you got the runaround. The compact drill is a different platform designed for light weight with great performance. Accordingly, it came with the compact lithium ion battery. The larger batteries to which you allude are still on track and will be out before the end of the year.

Comment

ProBrand, thanks for jumping in with that promising news. I'm sure Ridgid will sell plenty of those higher AH 18 volt lithiums and many more tools to go with them. Since Lithiums seem to be the way of the future, would you have any idea if there will be a similar lithium offering for the 14.4 or 12 volt platforms? Thanks again.

Comment

I have not used the warrenty so no comment.

I think its been beated to death, but HD does not seem to give a rats arse about the Ridgid line...case in point....got off work early today sooo decided to pick up the 9.6 volt screwdriver...hit HD....tool guy thought I was makeing up a product....soo showed him the DeWalt one and said it looks like this but orange....nope dont "think" we sell them....try Lowes....sooo convicne him that HD sells them....he calls someone else over now got us 3 chimps (me and two HD employees) scratching and grunting...so I gave up....since I got a 20 mile commute and a company truck, hit 2nd HD....told that this is a special order Item...that NONE of the HD stock the item....I dont know the real answer...but just does not seem like a super special tool ....they got 5 other power screwdrivers on the shelf.

Same goes for tubeing cutters (Im in HVAC) go to HD looking for Ridgid and u got to almost move aside 10 other brands to get to them....and since HD does sell cheaper brands....I can see how someone might grab a non Ridgid brand when the good stuff is all but hidden....and unless u want to film something for silly videos dont as them the diffrence between brand X and Ridgid tubeing cutters....seen 1 guy look at them and go humm the color is diffrent but other wise the same thing.
                        Last edited by Evil Gopher; 10-16-2007, 01:39 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

I blame lack of product knowledge and general ignorance on the people who are supposed to be helping you but also their bosses. If you and I know about all these products and their different specs, then so can the store workers if they are encouraged. I also put some blame on Ridgid, where is their responsiblity in getting those tools into the stores and on display? Last year or so I remember being able to handle the different Ridgid tools, switching a battery from tool to tool and getting a feel for the product. Now there is only a picture of the tools and kits. Maybe they have bad problems with theft? A few weeks ago I asked one of the workers in Home Depot in the tool department what the Amp Hours of the 18 volt lithium battery was since it wasn't on the box, his reply was rpm's? I gave up and told him not to bother, but that's the problem we don't bother the people who should know what they are selling but don't. Like a car salesman who can't answer basic questions having to do with the vehicles he or she is selling, heck it's your line of work know your products.

Comment

I just received a online survey from Dewalt having to do with how well my questions were answered. I answered honestly, my questions were fully answered and in a timely manner. Why doesn't Ridgid answer questions on these forums? I don't know how all this works for them but if Josh does not have the answer then certainly someone should be able to get it for him. Then post all those answers in a "Reply" thread. I would really like to know if Ridgid will be selling a higher Amp Hour 18 volt lithium battery. Unless this is some kind of trade secret please respond, I already know Ryobi has a 2.4 AH lithium and Dewalt was nice enough to tell me their 18 volt back fit lithium is also 2.4 AH's. I'm willing to wait patiently if such a product is in the works, if not I will be buying a such a product from another brand. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X