X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what changes have to be made?

what has to change for you to stay a costomer of the ridgid? to be honest the only problem that i have had with ridgid is i can't seem to get the l.s.a. but that is not a big deal to me. i know some of you have had costomer service issues and some quilty control problems and some with both. what i am getting at here is what is wrong in your eyes what should be done to fix the problem what brought you to the ridgid line of tools and what is happening that is driving you away from the line.

please make your answers as full as you can please try to put some thought in to your answers as this might be what rigdid might need to perk there eyes. this is your chance, take advantage of it.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Re: what changes have to be made?

I say Ridgid needs to overhaul their entire warranty process. They have way too much fine print. It is way too complicated!

I also think the lifetime warranty process must be improved. It is cumbersome to apply for. The dealers of the ridgid line have absolutely no clue how the registration process works [aka Home Depot!].

I know in some States you don't even need to mail in the warranty card. Besides, the warranty card of today is simply a marketing survey,,why do they need to know how many magazine subscriptions you have when you register a drill????

I think a simple card included with the product should be included if the lifetime warranty program applies. Or, a regular warranty card if the product has the typical 90 day to 3 year warranty.

A copy of the sales receipt, the miserable UPC code from the box as proof of purchase, and the warranty card. period! Maybe even have a UPC tag on the tool that can be removed to send in for the warranty proof of purchase. The tag could also include the serial number of the tool.

If they want registration via this site then have a simple form to print out after you fill it in so it can be mailed and included the UPC code and receipt.

The next issue is applying the warranty. I have read so many posts of warranty nightmares! Ridgid needs to standardize their service support! It's fine if they subcontract but at least provide the service centers with immediate access to replacement parts! Having a pro user wait more than say 5 days for a repair is totally unacceptable and likely will cost them future sales! The weekend warrior can wait 7-10 days but then they too may loose patience.

Perhaps have the service center coordinate loaner tools with the home Depot rental program if a pro tool will be down for more than 7 days, at a discount price or maybe even free if under a total warranty!

Cactus Man

Comment

If you want to make it simple, do what Craftsman did...if their name's on it, it's covered. PERIOD, end of story, bring it in and we'll give you a new one.

UNLESS it's a power tool
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

OSC: I want a quality tool for the price.
        Ridgid is pretty much a "benchmark" tool in the plumbing trade, and as long as they hold that quality, they will continue to have loyal customers.
        In the 110v wood working line, the ts3650 has proven itsef to also be a top quality tool. The same with the planers/jointers, and MSUV.
        However, with the bandsaw (which I have none), and the cordless tools, based on the reviews, it appears they have gone to volume over quality. Craftsman made the same mistake when Sears decided to sell easy financing instead of quality. Stanley and B&D also did the same and are known as "throw-away" tools.
        As long as they stick to a quality tool for the price, they will continue to have loyal customers that buy based on brand name. IMHO, If they quit trying to compete with every type of tool out there, and just build a good quality tool for a reasonable price and expand into that tools market as they are able to compete on a basis of quality, they will do well.
        Expanding into a tool market also means that consumable parts such as blades, belts, cutters, etc, or add-on things such as router bases, etc. are readily available, either from Ridgid or from a known volume manufacturer such as PC, Grizzly, etc.
        An example is Poulan. They have recently introduced a weedeater with the replaceable extensions for edging, brushcuttting, etc. It states on the box that Sears and Toro extensions will work with the base tool.
        I also think that breaking the sole-source link with HD would be to their benefit.
        IMHO, Ridgid is behind the curve. They are still thinking in the weekly "newspaper/store sales flyer" mode for selling new tools, and we are now in the internet age, where bad experiences with a tool go worldwide at the speed of light. Good news travels at the same speed, so quality for bucks will win out now, not volume and hype. If the known "good" tools in the Ridgid line cheapen, the news will be out there as fast as the tools are.

JMHO

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I think ridgid has some really nice tools and i like there prices. Fortunately I have not had to use the warranty yet. So I can't comment however:

I have recently bought the new 24v combo. Love the tools. However there are other tools that I need (i.e. an impact driver). For three months Ridgid has been promising one. And everytime we get to the promise date we hear about a new one. I have been putting off buying another brand waiting for this tool. And I don't know if it came out tomorrow I would buy it, just out of principle. I am going to buy another cordless tool line that is dedicated to growing the line.

This is not the only tool. I remember the confusion around the router kit. It wasn't even on the website and people had it at the store. But only certain stores had it.

The new msuv just came out again, no annoucement. A week later no sign of them at any of the three HD around me.

Ridgid miter saws don't cut true 45s. No fixes and it has been this way how long? Maybe I am wrong in this but I really don't think Dewalt/Bosch/Makita would let something like that go, at least not this long.

Ridgid is sold exclusively at Home Depot. But the tool managers know more about other brands than Ridgid. They have told me that the Ridgid/Ryobi/Milwaukee rep. rarely comes around and doesn't tell the store anything. They are exclusive to HD, how is that?

I worked at a local hardware store when I was in school. I knew the makita rep who came by often to make sure we had parts for the makita tools. We didn't sell that many tools. We sold many little parts. We had all the parts that commonly wore out on the circular saw or got lost or broken. WE had cords, brushes, switches. Makita is dedicated to take care of their customers. I really believe that is why there circular saw was to the standard for a long time.

Another example is Dewalts XRP line. I you have a 18v XRP battery you have any possible tool you could want to put a battery in and some you wouldn't. Or Makita's LXT line already has a impressive line up.

Also if Dewalt or Makita come out with a new tool and Home Depot or Lowes doesn't have it. Which is rare b/c the reps usually check to make sure it is there. But if it is not I can buy it online. I feel that one of Ridgids biggest problems is being exclusive to Home Depot.

My point here is, why am I going to be dedicated to a tool brand that is so unpredictalbe. I am not going to be dedicated to a tool company that is not dedicated to helping me get the most out of my tools. I really feel that Ridgid couldn't give a S@#$ about there customers. They are doing to be sold and every Home Depot; so they that don't have to fight for a place in the market place.

Comment

Half of the tools / machines I've purchased in the last 6 mths. from ridgid didn't even have a warranty card with the equipment - I called Ridgid number 1-888-743-4333 and was told as long as I have the invoice I'm covered . I've bein around too long to go for that so when I send in a warranty card I sent a copy of my invoice with all the serial #'s on it for the various tools.....so , I agree there must be a better way

Comment

One thing I would like to see changed is the carrying case for the laminate trimmer/router. Just like every other manufacturer out there, the only way for the unit to fit back into it's molded area of the case is for it to be adjusted to it's shortest position. I have and use several different brands of lam trimmers and I like to leave them "set-up" with a specific bit and adjustment for a specific job. I also like to store them in the cases while not in use... This proves to be a challenge when they won't return to the case with the body raised. Also a second set of wing bolts for the edge follower attachement would be nice. There is only one pair for two different attachments.

The clamshell case for the full-sized Milwaukee router is the most though out kit I have seen in this area. It has good, solid, forged wrenches that store easily and the base plate holds the router up-right with a well underneath so you can leave the bit in place. There is also a place to clip the second collet. Everyone could benefit from this type of design.

Comment

Warranty and service, MAKE IT SIMPLE AND UP FRONT.

A very simple Warranty and Service program,

IF it SAYS LIFETIME, make it life time of the customer,
                if you want a Time period, then Date stamp the tool and go by that,

If it is to be able to be replaced if it fails then let it happen at the store not the send it in service location, now if you want a clause that if over a year old make that clear,

If you need a clause for professional use, then so be it, MAKE IT CLEAR AT THE BEGINNING ON THE BOX. or a tag on the tool.

but make it simple and up front, if YOU use the term LIFE TIME, then make it EXTREMELY CLEAR ON THE BOX what LIFE TIME MEANS.

MAKE it so I can bring in the tool and have the work covered or replaced with out some form or gimmick or proof of purchase, if the tool is covered, it covered PERIOD,
                NOT if I can stand on my head and spin three times around and wiggle my pinkie while doing that, and at the the same time show the UPC code off the box and the receipt and the card that came with the tool and prove that I signed it up on the net, while spinning around.
                And only then you can take part in the service or warranty process, ,

ALSO Don't play games with service agreements, VS, covering the tool it self,

personal I think it is deceptive, to use the term LIFE TIME time unless it means as it means as long as you own the tool, or the tool exists.

Black and Decker at one time had a LIFE TIME warranty and it was a joke, they meant the life time of the tool with out stating what that was,

I was trying to look up some things for dewalt the other day and came to a page that said obsolete, 2 years and older, Now if it is obsolete in 2 years, how long is a LIFE TIME? (I realize this is a different company)
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Change the combo packs up some. I would have liked an impact drill and a sawzall together. I now have 3 18v hammer drills, 2 circular saws and a sawzall. I bought the second kit because my drill had been in for service for four months( to get a trigger replaced) and I needed a drill again and the kit was the only way I could get that style 18v Hammer drill. I bought the third kit an 18v hammer drill and sawzall to get the sawzall and the extra batteries, it was cheaper to buy the kit than a sawzall and 2 batteries.

I now have 6 batteries, 2 drills,a saw, a sawzall and 2 chargers in use.
                  I have a drill, a saw and a charger I am yet to use. I may could sell the excess but without batteries they aren't much use to anyone.

I am yet to find a place to take my sawzall to for repair/replacement. The body casting at the pivot for the blade release has broken after less than a year.

Comment

2 things should be changed you should be able to apply for lifetime service agreement at the store they chould have a computer there and fill out the form online DONE. Next I made this suggestion about compressors you should be able to make your own combo some people might not want a light or what ever. There should be a price for any 3 pcs from list 1 any 3 from list 2 any 4 from list 3 and so on.

Comment

I don't have a beef with the warrantee. My biggest irritation is not being able to see and inspect a major tool before I purchase it. If HD is the (mostly) exclusive distributor, Ridgid should demand that their tools be properly displayed. Lowes doesn't seem to have much of a problem displaying table saws, planers, drill presses and such. I've been very happy with my Ridgid power tools, but I refuse to buy a pig in a poke.
                      ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

The HD's here still have the tool display area for the table saws, drill press, etc. The problem is that the displays are not taken care of. They are all missing parts or not assembled properly.

Comment

RIGID needs to look at their Design Engineering and factory/manufacturing Quality Control departments. I purchased a 10” CMS a few months ago. The first straight cut I made was 2 degrees off 90. The sliding fence, when tightened down, leaned forward. These are totally unacceptable. This tells me that the factory assembly is not checked for alignment on the cut. They don’t have to cut wood. Manufacturing of any sort will or should have equipment to check final assemblies for things like alignment. A saw like this should be dead on, right out of the box. That is unless it was dropped before it was picked up by the customer. With the fence problem I did a little sanding of the casting that the fence mates to. It’s good now, but I shouldn’t have to do that as a customer. This is an Engineering problem and Quality Control should have found it. If I could fix it here why didn’t they? I’ve been using it without any problems since. It’s a fine looking tool and it works well, ----- now. I, like everyone else that puts out money for tools, read as many reviews as possible before a purchase. The professionals that review these products need to have a tool placed in their hands that functions right out of the box. If they perceive a brand as inferior or low end they won’t bother testing it. Thus we don’t see anything to base a purchase on. We go to the brands that have good reviews. The CMS I have is a very good tool but I would not recommend it to someone who doesn’t have the time or ability to disassemble and reassemble it as it should be. The guys that use these tools for a primary source of living are not going to bother with a second purchase if the first one was so troublesome. Would I buy a second CMS from RIDGID? I don’t think so. I like the one I have but I’m not willing to put in as many hours as I did to make it right. With the quality problems I ran in to some people would say. “You get what you pay for.” But if you look at the whole tool, it’s a fine product. If RIDGID added 1% to the price of the tool and put it into their Engineering and Quality Control they could be right up there with the other Name Brands.
                          Jim

Comment

If Ridgid is reading and applying any of these suggestions to the way they do business their future looks bright. There are many brands to choose from and quality control, ease of using a warranty and giving the consumer what he wants will decide the leaders in this industry. For example, I'm sure their customer support or marketing team must realize the people who use their cordless 18 volt tools have been waiting for a 3.0 or greater AH lithium ion battery but they market a 1.5 AH model and then lie about the specs! Ryobi came out with a 2.4 AH lithium kit and if Dewalt does the same with a battery that can fit current 18 volt nicad tools, Ridgid will lose a lot of business. I'd say stop sitting on the side lines Ridgid, get in the game with something to crush your competition.

Comment

Ridgid isn't the lightest, hippest tool on the block. It isn't the most serviceable (ie, nonserviceable brushes.) But, it has gained a reputation for being a better value, fairly rugged and having a lifetime service agreement.

Unfortunately, Ridgid's slow customer service and fine print on the LSA lose customers.

Ridgid needs to work to improve its strengths and start working on it's weaknesses.

1. Continue to offer tools that are a value compared to the competition.

2. Continue the LSA, but make it less complicated to apply for, and when in doubt, honor the agreement. There shouldn't be a limited time to apply for example.

3. Back up the LSA with good service. If you can't get parts for a tool for months offer the customer a replacement. Many companies offer refurbished units to customers instead of making them wait for theirs to be repaired.

4. Keep parts and accessories on hand. Many customers are frustrated when not able to buy a replacement battery or when it takes months to get service parts.

5. Do a better job filing and tracking the LSA's. People have reported here, of their LSA's disappearing from the Ridgid website. People have sent in their agreements and never gotten their LSA (this happened to me...including not getting the free tool.)

Comment

Working...
                              X