Latest Home project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Home project

Here it is... I started tearing down the old porch over the weekend. Im going to remove the porch and build a 14x14 deck with the existing overhang from the old porch still covering the first 4' of it.

Before...

I have now learned what they mean when they say "they dont build them like they used too"

A now outdated pic of after (or in progress) As of right now everything but the old deck boards and outer support beams are off. I had to jack up the beam on your left 3" in order to get the roofline level. Im going to plant 6x6s 4' in the ground with a 4x6 beam running across between the 2 6x6s to support that roofline, (easier to understand in my head).

Building Inspector told me that I cant have an enclosed back porch, I said great, thats what Im getting rid of. Then he tol dme that since Im under 200 sq feet (Im at 196) and its going to be 24" off the ground I dont need a permit. All my neighbors have always told me that the local inspector is a pr!ck, but he was really cool with me. He helped me design things better than the drawing I had brought him and told me what he would expect too see if I needed a permit for it. My lumber is being delivered Tuesday afternoon and I have a TON of garbage to get out for the pickup on Wednesday morning.

More updates in time...with the finale being a pic of me enjoying a beer (finally sitting and having one) in front of the fire pit hopefully by Memorial Day weekend

Re: Latest Home project

Originally posted by Orange Apron View Post
    Here it is... I started tearing down the old porch over the weekend. Im going to remove the porch and build a 14x14 deck with the existing overhang from the old porch still covering the first 4' of it.

Before...

I have now learned what they mean when they say "they dont build them like they used too"

A now outdated pic of after (or in progress) As of right now everything but the old deck boards and outer support beams are off. I had to jack up the beam on your left 3" in order to get the roofline level. Im going to plant 6x6s 4' in the ground with a 4x6 beam running across between the 2 6x6s to support that roofline, (easier to understand in my head).

Building Inspector told me that I cant have an enclosed back porch, I said great, thats what Im getting rid of. Then he tol dme that since Im under 200 sq feet (Im at 196) and its going to be 24" off the ground I dont need a permit. All my neighbors have always told me that the local inspector is a pr!ck, but he was really cool with me. He helped me design things better than the drawing I had brought him and told me what he would expect too see if I needed a permit for it. My lumber is being delivered Tuesday afternoon and I have a TON of garbage to get out for the pickup on Wednesday morning.

More updates in time...with the finale being a pic of me enjoying a beer (finally sitting and having one) in front of the fire pit hopefully by Memorial Day weekend
    Glad to hear your inspector initiated a positive rapour.A lot of people have a chip on their shoulder when trying to have dialogue with inspectors.A little respect goes a loooong way.

Soooo what-----------you wanna borrow some nails,need some help

Comment

I got my supplies coming Tuesday. If you want though, and since its free it might be worth the trip, I have a TON of old 2x4s for firewood, and since your on the Ridgid forum I will throw the rusty nails in for free. Can you be here Tuesday afternoon?

Comment

but i wanted the rusty nails
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

yes I agree a deck would be much nicer
          §m€llŸ™

Comment

Looks like a great project. I think it'll increase value quite a bit! The old Realtor's addage of "never take away a room" just doesn't fit every situation. I think a deck with some cover is a great idea!! I hope all goes well.

Glad to hear your encounter with the Inspector went well. Generally, the town/county inspectors are on the homeowner's side. They want to see things built right and safely. Their main concern is not only aesthetics (pig pens don't get approved...), but the safety and comfort of the homeowner. I have always found the Inspectors to have good advice, and very helpful.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

UGH!!!

Today was spent getting ready to drill footings. My neighbor bought a "retired" Home Depot rental center power auger, which is nice because a 30 pack of High Life is far cheaper than the rental price. I removed the 2 outer "support" beams that hold my roofline up. Neither of them had any real purpose though. Then I borrowed the "neighborhood BFH," a 20 lb sledge hammer, that hasnt been in its owners garage for several years. I started busting up the concrete that the posts were on. One was simple, came out with a few whacks and some prying. The other one I have been working on for 5 hours today. It is seriously 2' thick. I borrowed a Bosch SDS Hammerdrill from work and have been slowly chiseling away at this thing, and Im still not done, I just ran out of daylight and the porchlight wasnt helping anymore either.

Also, on the old porch was an outlet. This outlet was on the same breaker as my microwave, back porchlight and the garage. I knew I was going to need to do some rewiring so I planned on just abandoning the old wire that was supposed to be 18" below the ground. So I disconnected the outlet, also taking the power away from the garage. Then for fun I gave the conduit that the old outlet was on a tug. The conduit came right out of the ground then it turned out to be just plain romex, buried about 2" below the ground, I could easily pull the stuff right out of the ground and pack the grass back down and there would be no sign of anything. My wife wasnt too thrilled abou me pulling the wire, but when I told her that if I had planted bushes where we wanted to I wouldve hit the line. That thought didnt phase her much, until I mentioned that the dogs couldve easily dug into the line also.

All my lumber is here, and next week Monday I start vacation from both jobs for a week. Hopefully I will have some progress by then. My neighbor is going to help me with the holes this week I hope, so I can get my footings in.

Comment

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together.

Comment

Congratulations on starting your project. It looks as though it will be fun. I plan a lot of projects that never get off the ground and am always happy to see someone carry through. I have the knowledge and desire for a lot of my projects what I lack is the money and the ambition.

I work with inspectors from the Federal Govt. all the way down to local inspectors on a daily basis. Often there are more than one on the job at a time. Once they realize you are not going to cheat/shortcut and have some knowledge of how the project is supposed to go they generally leave us alone. There are times when I wish there was an inspector handy especially when there are design questions or a potential change order. We built a bridge last year and the inspector only showed up when we were pouring footers. That is how much confidence he had in us. In all my years of all types of construction I have never had a 'bad' inspector.

Tom

Comment

Vacation Day 1

Got a TON of stuff done today. I got the 6x6's planted first so I could lay out the posts. Then I putzed around with a few other things, set up a 2x8 beam between the 2 6x6's and started putting the plastic and stones down to keep the grass/weeds from growing through the deck. Then a friend stopped by to help me run the power auger. We got the remaining 6 holes drilled out. Then after he left I returned the slow setting cheap concrete I had planned on using for some quick setting concrete. I poured the footings for the 6 holes and managed to get my posts in the ground. Tuesday the storm is supposed to start but if its not too bad I should be sitting on the deck drinking beer by Wednesday. Tonight I was ale to kick my feet up on the outer joists so I "kind of" enjoyed a few beers while sitting, after I ran out of daylight and didnt want to upset the neighbors, I will upset them in the morning instead.

Comment

Here it is. The deck is practically done, but the other projects in the yard still need to get started. I have to fix the gutter, and run new electric out to the garage. Im also going to put a hose outlet on the deck because I want to have water nearby for the grill and firepit. I also have to paint the siding, just to blend things in until I put up vinyl next year

Comment

Looks really good Orange Apron,and in record time.

Congradulations on a job well done

Who needs contractors

Comment

Looks great your neighbors will be jealous.

Got all your final inspections yet?

Comment

In record time is right, my one month living/dining room redo last year turned into a 1 year project. My wife and one of my neighbors admitted that they didnt think this deck would be done this fast.

With the size of this deck 196 sq ft. and 24" tall I didnt need a permit. I did things as if I had one but I dont need any official inspections. The one neighbor does build decks though and he was impressed.

Comment

It looks great. Congratulations on carrying through to completion.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X