Help stop dog from barking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help stop dog from barking

I have a neighbor whose dog will bark its head off at anything. To compound the problem we have wrought iron fences with a green belt (sidewalk) right behind our houses. My neighbor will let their dog out during peak pedestrian traffic time (7 AM and 5PM), and the dog will just sit there and bark its head off. Unfortunately, we spend very little time in our back yard; my 7 year old is scared to deaf of the beast. I am reluctant to say anything to them because it has been my experience most folks don't respond well to complaints. To-date we have been neighbors for a little over two years and have really not had any issues. However, when they first moved it they did state their dog barked excessively at their previous house because the neighborhood kids used to tease it. I have come to the conclusion they are using this excuse as a crutch. To be quite frank about it, if it weren't for my wifes' level headeness I would have blown a head gasket a long time ago.

We too have a dog and unlike my neighbor we took the time to train it not to bark. Since I can't put a shock collar on their dog; I am considering using an ultrasonic sound emitter. I have been reluctant to use one of these since it will hit our dog as well theirs.

Do any of you have any experience with such a device? Your input is greatly appreciated.

tgomez

Re: Help stop dog from barking

thought this was a post about the "dog''

have you spoken the the city animal control officer?

that or have a real talk with the neighbor.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

We really don't want to start any friction with the neighbors; both are elderly retirees and they are both really attached to their dog. Although, I suspect it is inevitable. In fact, it was my wifes' idea about the ultra sonic sound emmitter. Hoping the barking would stop and the converstion between us and them would be avoided.

thnx for the response.

tgomez

Comment

In cases like this it is best to follow the "chain of command". Go to the neighbour first - give him the opportunity to deal with the situation before going to animal control or otherwise.

If he fails to do so, then you have no choice but to go to animal control.

Comment

As a homeowner you have rights. As a dog owner you have responsibilities.
          You need to suck it up and chat with your neighbor...in a friendly manner..... and discuss the barking issue.

There are some simple solutions that may easily keep the peace, such as establish some quiet hours/time where they need to place their dog in the garage or house or in their screened in porch area so you can have a quiet dinner etc.

If the friendly way does not work contact your homeowners association
          and discuss the problem and how you feel intimidated to take care of it yourself. Many homeowner associations have a myriad of outrageous rules and typically an excessive barking dog may be one of those rules.

If all friendly approaches fail you then need to discuss this with animal control or the police. With the police you file reports and then they speak to the folks about the dog. Talk to neighbors across the street and on the opposite side of the barking dog's home to see how they are impacted with the barking....there is influence in numbers!

There are solutions to the problem that everyone can be happy with, but you are the person who has to initiate the dialog.

Using a device from your yard to quiet the dog can actually put you in jeopardy and you may end up spending time with the police.

Good luck

Cactus Man

Comment

I have a friend in Jupiter, Florida who used the ultrasonic emitter with good results. The emitter was activated by the sound of the dog barking. It took a couple of days, but the dog eventually learned what was causing his discomfort and quieted down.
            When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

and if that doesn't work i have a .......................... shovel

just kidding. ................................ or am i???? mah hahaha
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I had a similar situation in my last house. The neighbors dog would start barking int he middle of the night and not quit. I finally had enough and one night at 2AM I dialed the neighbors phone and never said a word. I just held the phone up to the window so they could hear their dog barking.

That did the trick. I never heard that dog again.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I'm no dog expert, but this worked for me. Our former neighbor had a German Chocolate Pointer that barked alot at night...they couldn't hear him but we sure could, especially if the windows were open. A couple of quirts on the snout with a citrus juice put an end to the barking pretty quickly. ...I don't think it harms in any way, but he sure didn't like it! No issues with the neighbor and the dog stopped barking.

Comment

yet i still have a shovel .............................. lol just teasin
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I stepped up today, and asked to please work with his dog. At first he was making the same excuse that the dog had been teased by kids. I cut off the escape route and informed him that was in the past and he really needed to work with the dog in its new environment. I even offered him my hardly used shock collar, it worked very well on my dog. He said he would work with the dog. Only time will tell, to make matters worst he is a member of our Home owners assoc. He knows all to well barking dogs are against our deed restrictions.

Thnx for the feedback greatly appreciate it.

tgomez

Comment

i still have that shovel if you think you might need it down the line, but i glad to hear that you are making the effort to be going in the right chain of command. good job.
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I'm guessing Old Slow is a "cat" person

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            I'm guessing Old Slow is a "cat" person

yup i have 3 one (lucky)is my black cat and he is a hunter, one(garfeild) is my ornge cat witch is 100% devoted to my wife he will even ride in the car but only if she is there and the third on i found at a golf course while working on the club house i took a break and was drinking a glass of tea i saw some golfers tring to run him over with the cart this cat's name it teetea. but i have had dogs and the thought is there for me to get another. my favorive dog is a shar-pei but we are looking at a british bull dog at the moment
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

If you have the time and guts you could sit out at the fence and bark back at the dog. Your neighbor will think your crazy and take his dog inside foaming at the mouth is very conviencing.freddy

Comment

Working...
                              X