X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contamination

Whats the deal. If your threading black pipe with a set of lets say 1'' pipe dies and then use the same dies on stainless steel pipe, will the stainless get contaminated with the carbon from the black and start to rust.

Re: contamination

Not a chance................. The stainless doesn't lose its chemical composition by being worked on.

just wipe any SURFACE contamination off.

Syn

Comment

you shouldn't be using the same dies for stainless and for steel.

the oil should wash away the "fines" that are cut.

is the stainless just rusting at the cut threads? how is the rest of the pipe and how about the factory threads?

rick.

or is this just a hypothetical question?
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by synthesist View Post
        Not a chance................. The stainless doesn't lose its chemical composition by being worked on.

just wipe any SURFACE contamination off.

Syn

Guess it depends on where you are and the standards that must be met. We are not allowed to cut CS and SS on the same machines. We can't even use regular old duct tape or magic markers or Sharpie® pens on SS; have to use stuff verified as chloride free so it won't affect the SS.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

thanks for the input, and no its not hypothetical, why should you not mix cs and ss. is this writen as a cold hard fact. been hearing this nonesence for a while. i personally have never heard of this. thanks for your time guys

Comment

Working...
          X