X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• appalachian trail

well folks some of you that i have had some .......... issues latly. and since then i have been planing one what to do, and there are three things i have always wanted to do and never have and the appalachian trail is one of them, i am 34 now and i feel if i don't do this now i may never do it. well i am braver then most (or dumber i still am not sure yet ) i am going to try up and back (georgia to maine and then back) and i am figuring 6-7 months so tomarrow evening i will sign out so if you don't see me for awhile that is why, no cell no ipod no nothing that takes a battery other than the flashlight.

i am going up with a group leaveing wensday morning but i will only be coming back by my self unless i happen to find a hiker that wants to tag along for a few miles at a time.

i will continue to post to till i leave wensday
    9/11/01, never forget.

Re: appalachian trail

OSC

Have fun and it will do you good to just get away. We will be here waiting to read all about your trip-vacation. You're right that if you (or anyone for that matter) doesn't do things when he/she can then they never get done.

Comment

OSC,
      Good luck to you buddy. Have some fun along the way. Remember, we're rootin' for ya!
      Jim Don

Comment

OSC, hope the trail is everything you thought it was.

Hiking helps clear the mind and soul, good choice and good luck

Bye for now - Jim
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

thanks guys
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

As a fellow backpacker, I'm envious. I know you said no battery operated gizmos, but at least bring a camera. Nature's the best medicine. Good luck to you. We'll be here waiting.
            No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Comment

http://www.casarois.net/catalog/images/pentax_k1000.JPG

im old school lol
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Good for you OSC. We'll be looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back. btw... 34 is still pretty young thats only 4 years older than me and I am just a kid You should chase your dreams now though cause it gets harder the older you get.

Good luck,

Josh

Comment

Awe 34 I am getting ready to celebrate my 34th birthday for the 20th time this coming monday.
                  SSG, U.S. Army
                  Retired
                  K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Hey OSC...when you hit near the Virginia/MD/WV line on the trail...and if y'all are feelin the trail a bit..find a store and give me a call. We can put y'all up for a few days. It'd be EXCELLENT to meet you, and I'd love to hear what stories you have of the black hills!! So, if you see signs for Bear's Den shelter, find a way out to route 7 (major highway that the trail crosses), head down the mountain West. About a mile up the other side from the Shenandoah River is a little store. I can come pick you up. Or basically, anywhere along that area if you get the chance, stop somewhere and pick up a phone and give me a call!! I'd be happy to come get you and put all of ya up for a while. Showers and meals included!!!

It's been a LOOOOOOONG time since I've been on the AT. I'm somewhat jealous, but very happy to hear you're doing a life-long goal. I'll be rootin for ya to get through it. It's frought with some of the most demanding hiking there is, and some of the most astounding views one can find on the East coast. Be safe, get a first-aid kit, and learn how to use it! And, if I hear you went through here without callin, I'ma chase your tail all the way up that mountain!!!
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                      i will only be coming back by my self unless i happen to find a hiker that wants to tag along for a few miles at a time.
                      Obviously you never saw Deliverance

Comment

Had me thinking the same damn thing, crack. LOL...
                        Good Luck OSC, please do take the first aid kit, and some water cleaning tablets. Garlic is the trick when you run out of bug spray, might even keep the bears away. Power on man.....
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

well change of plans ...... sorta, i am still leaving but because of the wild fires at the georgia florida line we are now holding of till friday morning be for we depart, mainly for safety reasons(yeah i don't want to be bar-b-que) also next year i want to ride in the "R.A.M." witch is also a goal of mine. and as long as i dont hear banjo music i'll be ok.lol
                          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

hay have fun and when you are in lower PA wave so i can see ya .
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Good luck OSC and have fun. I have hiked a few miles of the AT through NJ and into both PA and NY, it's beautiful. Stayed many times overnight at Buttermilk Falls in Stokes St Forest (NJ), I remember one time we got drenched in an overnight downpour. When you cross the Hudson River it will be on the Bear Mountain Bridge (follow link to full-size photo of bridge).

It was when finished in 1924 the longest suspension bridge in the world.

http://people.hofstra.edu/faculty/charles_merguerian/BearMtn/Bear%20Mtn.htm
                              Last edited by Bob D.; 05-15-2007, 09:59 PM. Reason: added link to bridge construction photos
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X