X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumber at Lowes

Let me start by stating that I've never been impressed with Lowes or Home Depot (and it keeps getting worse every year).
    But, last wednesday I needed some el-cheapo lumber for a project I was doing, so I went to Lowes. Naturally, the 2X4 studs they had looked like pretzels, but were good enough for the task at hand. On checkout, my reciept had an address for customer feedback, so I wrote them telling them what I thought of their lumber (I was polite). On Friday night, the lumber dept manager at the local store called me at home wanting more info. He admitted that it was low grade stuff, but he had no control over what the corp. wanted to sell. He did tell me that I can special order almost any wood I want at almost any grade and he could play with the numbers a bit to get the cost down.
    The part that took Lowes up several notches over HD was the fact that he CALLED and talked to me. Home depot used to have a leg up on Lowes, in my opinion, but not any longer. Customer service means a lot since the two stores are less than a mile apart.
    Maybe somebody high up in Home Depot will read this and take note, but I doubt it will do any good.
    Just my thoughts...

Jack
    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Re: Lumber at Lowes

I've had a similar experience with the tool section at Lowe's.
    I think in marketing we are experiencing the "Hertz VS Avis" phenomenon!

Home Depot has been around here longer than lowes and figures it has the customer base. I remember Handy-Man, Home Base, Payless Cashways, O-Mally's... All gone because of the Home Depot. The were able to eliminate the competition. With Lowe's there is a new competitor..and it's a 50/50 fight!

Some days you love Home Depot, some days you love Lowe's

What I have concluded is even though the stores are the same name etc. Its the management of each store that makes it a good or poor experience!

I visit 4 home Depot and 3 Lowe's when shopping for stuff..[not every time obviously]. My point being each store is unique with respect to the area they serve.

For example only one of those Home Depot stores carries Hilti tools. They actually have a very large display in their tool section. The other stores have nothing.

One Home Depot has the husky 1800 [2006 version] not so great pressure washer, while another Home Depot does carry the Husky 1800S [2007 version] excellent pressure washer.

When dealing with customer service I've had good experiences at both Lowe's and Home Depot. At one home Depot the service counter guy was amazing! At another Home Depot, they did not want to give you the time of day!

Cactus Man

Comment

Went to Lowes today for some doodads and ran into the Manager that called me. Thanked him for the call and he gave me a 10% discount on the entre purchase. Didn't amount to much money, but could prove to be priceless for Lowes.
      ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

We have a local Home Depot here in the Corning area. With few exceptions most of the orange aprons know very little and seemly could care less. They had a lady in the paint dept that really knew her stuff though and was always friendly and helpful. My wife really liked her and she always had good advice. That's a rare commodity in that store. Well last week we were told "her and her big mouth got fired". We figured she probably stuck up for organization over chaos; oh well, that's definitely swimming upstream at HD. She had the only dept that was neat and well stocked, and she knew her products. I guess we'll take our paint business elsewhere now.

This local store is fairly new (about six years old now I think), but they are so disorganized, and the aisles are difficult to walk through because there's usually a ladder or products stacked in the aisles and/or blocking the product you're looking for. Likewise, as you walk through the store, the displays, appliances, tools, are often so dinged up you'd think they use them for tow motor practice. This is especially true for their lumber and sheet goods. If they have management there, it must be pretty challenged.

We were in Binghamton last weekend and I needed an electical floor receptacle. Home Depot had one elderly lady who didn't know a thing. I did notice four guys in the nearby break room, but they couldn't be bothered. All I found was some cheap plastic receptacle and one brass weather outlet which was almost $80. I ended up going to Lowes and there I had two guys who know exactly what I wanted and showed me several other options as well. I ended up with a nice brass floor kit that included everything for about $27.

My experiences with Lowes have been far more positive as a whole, when compared to Home Depot.

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 05-29-2007, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          My experiences with Lowes have been far more positive as a whole, when compared to Home Depot.

CWS
          I have to say, I agree with you 200%. I just hate walking into Home Depot here. The store is a mess and no-one knows anything. There are a few people that are friendly and want to help, but that's a rarity. Lowes on the other hand is a neat and organized store. The staff have more knowledge of all the crafts and the prices are better. If I need something I head to Lowes unless I know they don't carry the item. Probably why Home Depot announced lower profits last quarter.
          If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

As mentioned before (above) I think that the location of the store has a lot to do with your overall experience, examples being-- The HD in town here is short on employees, most workers I talk to hate the new manager which seems to change every few months, a lot of the tools are locked up, usually out of stock on most used items. Where-as I did a job in Anaheim Hills (about 1 hour away) Went in to store - all shelves stocked, asked if I needed help 3-5 times, nothing is locked up, every-one friendly! Went to the Lowe's about 5 miles away from Anaheim store - Nothing but dimwits working there, went in to pick-up a customers order, was told day before that it would be ready at 9am, --Finally walked out the door at 11:30. Have yet to find a Lowe's worth going to on a regular basis.

Comment

the closes lowes is approx. 45 minutes away on a good day

there is a large, now empty lot that home depot was going to purchase. there are already plenty of h.d. in the area. the local neighborhood council wanted a change and now h.d. is out and lowes is in. still nothing posted on the temporary fencing, but a real good inside source has confirmed it

i've only been to lowes a handful of times, but my brother has both h.d. and lowes. he has a good connection at lowes and gets a complementary discount every time. he's not even in the trades

if the market is a judge. lowes has a much better portfolio over h.d. in the last 6 years that i've followed it

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
              X