X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parts/hardware storage systems

I am a type "A" person, Virgo, has a Jewish Mother [meaning guilt without the sex], and left handed.

I tell you this because I wonder if I'm the only obsessive parts and hardware storage person?

I think my stuff is more organized than at some Home Depot stores!

I use the Akron Mills style of plastic storage drawer systems. I estimate over 300 plastic drawers total. I have 40 drawer systems and other sizes. I then have each unit unique to the part or hardware. For example, one 40 drawer unit covers sheet metal screws from #4x1/4 to #12x3/4 pan head and flat head. Another unit covers nuts and washers etc. Of course each drawer is meticulously labeled.

I also use Plano plastic boxes to isolate specific parts and to make them easier to take to a project. for example, one box for assorted molly type and plastic anchor devices, and other box for assorted plastic "C" clamps, another for pocket hole hardware...etc.

I have stainless, metric, nails, machine screws, brackets, electrical terminals and splices, odd stuff like 1/4-28 hardware etc.

I think I'm a mini hardware store ha ha!

When people see "my stuff" storage they stare and say "gee, all I have is a Hill Brother's coffee can full of rusty screws and bent nails!"

I know of folks using plastic baggies, baby food bottles, the open style cardboard and plastic bins..etc.

I wonder what the folks here on the reflector do/use for storage as many of you are "professionals?" and having access to parts quickly and having a good selection is paramount in doing your job correctly and efficiently.

When ever I buy hardware or a part I use "the rule of three".
    I will loose one, I will break one, and finally get it correct.
    If I do it right the first time, I now have 2 spares so on a Friday night at 9:30p.m. if I need that part I have one! ..thus this is how I have acquired such a large booty of parts and hardware.

Cactus Man

Re: parts/hardware storage systems

I'm a mix of many kinds of storage. I do use Akro-Mills and also some steel (larger size) drawer cabinets, but also have to confess to soup cans and baby food jars on wood shelves. If $$$ were no problem, I would have lots more professional methods of storage. I like to be able to know just where to find things. Having a mess takes far too much time to find stuff, but I kind of know where to look and that helps. I have seen people that just throw things in piles on the floor and then when they need something they give up and go buy new. That to me is wasteful in many ways.

Cactusman - Keep everything well sorted and placed. You are saving time and money there. It's safer for everyone too.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
      I use the Akron Mills style of plastic storage drawer systems. I estimate over 300 plastic drawers total. I have 40 drawer systems and other sizes. I then have each unit unique to the part or hardware. For example, one 40 drawer unit covers sheet metal screws from #4x1/4 to #12x3/4 pan head and flat head. Another unit covers nuts and washers etc. Of course each drawer is meticulously labeled.
      Cactus Man
      Drug companies have invested billions of dollars to make medication for people like you. Maybe you should try some

Comment

..............and I thought I was anal. What do you do when you have to buy a new size of something, rearrange everything?
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

all I know is I need a better system and more shelving and bins,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            ..............and I thought I was anal. What do you do when you have to buy a new size of something, rearrange everything?
            I'm a lot like cactusman, and to answer B.D. question, I do rearrange everything once a year. All the new stuff is set off to the side until that day happens.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Cactusman,

I don't believe I have quite the devotion to organization that you do, but I definitely like to keep my things in order. As a newbie to woodworking, I am still planning my workspace and need some storage ideas. Can you post some pics of your setup?

Thanks!
              -O&B

Comment

Working...
              X