X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the walk

well as most of you know i made a failed atempt to hike the appaltion trail. well i left my home on may 18th to the base in southern georgia. at that time we did a last check on what we could carry and made sure our drop zones where on schedule, signed the books, chosse a route(there are 3) and on the 19th we were off.
    we took our time and only covered 18.5 mile one the frist day so we could see who could do what, i am much better at medium inclines then others and some were much better when it came to shear wall climbing so the trail we took has alittle of both and before you say of couse you would be better at meduim climbing keep this in mind a 10 precent grade can be mostly rock very smooth and worn covered in algee and be wet with seeping ground water witch can make it slick as ice, where as most shear wall is dry but you need ropes and quite abit of rock climbing equip to scale and at 270 pound with out gear i am much to heavy to try this tpye of climbing in the remote areas of the trail.
    the frist few days went fine covering 130 miles of trail in the frist 7 days, at that point we all relizled that we were going much slower then planed so we desided to step it up a notch and we were going to travel no less then 25 miles per day but no more then 32miles per day for the next 3 days then atempt to go 35 a day for the next 4 days to see who close we were on our plan. well 5 days in the second day i started getting blistters on my toes and my heel but like a dumby i kept my mouth shut thing that i would get used to this buy this time we were only 38 miles from the geogia, south carolina boarderand two days later i could bearly walk and now i was really slowing every one down so we stopped for to days as i was informed that if my feet don't get better that we would have to abort this trip but because we had made up some time that we could take 48 hours and see what happens witch of course means that we would have to bust butt to keep time. so that night all blissterers were popped and drained then wraped up in gulse pads with some neaosporain cream. and the next morning we were off again so we only lost 15 hours. i felt great and we were making ok time we werent gaining time but we wernt losing time either. south carolina is a bit tougher trail is starts geting steeper there andthe trail really twists and winds. on june 6-8 it rained well poured and didn't stop so we stayed tent bound and lived off of dinty more beef stew and campbells chunky chili. the temp was about 85-90 and on my god humid on the 9th the rain stopped and we packed up and about 9 am we were on our way again but my right foot was so swollan that i could bearly tie my boot by 4 that eveing it was litterly tearing the stiching in the boot and acording to the map we were only 15 miles(as the bird flys) from an hospital. we came of the trail at a highway as luck would have it a truck driver was there waiting on a repair man to come and fix his truck and he called 911 for me.
    once at the hospital they thought my foot was broken cause of the swelling. they had to cut my right boot off of me in witch i knew at that moment the trip was over for me. what had happen (stop eatting now) is when i pop the frist bisters i did notremove the skin that puffed and filled i just put a small hole in there to drain it. what happened was this the holes healed/sealed due to the presurre of me walk the neaosporan and the gulze pads and when the rain hit my feet could not dry and had filled with more fluid then once i started walking again i had blisters on top of blisters(very very nasty and painful) the doctors did tell me this though, be glad it wasn't winter as the fluid could have froze and at the leaset caused frost bite at worst i could have lost my foot.
    i guess toby keith said it best with this:
    i am not as good as i once was, but i am as good once as i ever was.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Re: the walk

OSC, Just curious what type of boots did you have and were they broken in good. I'm not a hiker myself , but have several friends that are into it. A couple of them have this boot. They say it still took several smaller hikes to break them in.http://www.rei.com/product/747958
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Congratz on making it as far as you did oldslow. Its good to have you back on the forum. Did you get any pictures? I am sure there were some beautiful shots along the way.

How many miles total did ya make?

Welcome back,

Josh

Comment

OSC,

Hey man, it sounds like one heckuva adventure inspite of your foot problem. Hiking is great fun, and certainly an awful lot of "work". It is especially hard trying to go for miles day after day and suffer through varied terrain and weather conditions.

I'm not sure how often you do this, but by your description I think you did a remarkable job. I haven't been "in the field" for a number of years, but even as a young guy, doing 35 miles cross-country would be a serious challenge I think.

I enjoyed your story quite a bit and if you have the time I'd certainly like to read more about it, the guys you went with, the terrain, equipment, etc. I recall reading a National Geographic story a couple decades ago, and it took them a long time as I recall.

Thanks, and glad to see you back on the forum,

CWS

Comment

Nice to hear from you and congrats on your trip. Sorry about your foot. There's a book called "Worldwalk" by Steve Newman. Anybody who likes hiking will like this book.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

OSC,

Don't feel bad; that pace of 35 a day just isn't possible for a novice. Only the more expierenced hikers can keep that up in the heat. Big boned boys like ourselves; no way. Maybe on flat terrain but not on an 10% incline. That 20 a day pace you had starting out may have felt slow but seems about right to me. Give your body a rest and try it again in the fall. This time start up north and walk downhill towards Georgia

Comment

Impressive story OldSlow. Even with the final outcome I hope you managed to find some fun in there and the relaxation with adventure you were looking for. I am sure you still did better than I could have these days!
              Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

two pairs one of timberland's hiking boots(tennis shoe/boot) and some thing very simalar by nike both were broken in, on was worn for 3 months the other 5
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                  Congratz on making it as far as you did oldslow. Its good to have you back on the forum. Did you get any pictures? I am sure there were some beautiful shots along the way.

How many miles total did ya make?

Welcome back,

Josh
                  i do have some photos but they are on film and i will have to talk to a friend of mine on trying to post them here and yes i have have if it came out on top of a hill during sunrise, as far as mileage i think it was 340 before i had to be picked up.
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                    OSC,

Hey man, it sounds like one heckuva adventure inspite of your foot problem. Hiking is great fun, and certainly an awful lot of "work". It is especially hard trying to go for miles day after day and suffer through varied terrain and weather conditions.

I'm not sure how often you do this, but by your description I think you did a remarkable job. I haven't been "in the field" for a number of years, but even as a young guy, doing 35 miles cross-country would be a serious challenge I think.

I enjoyed your story quite a bit and if you have the time I'd certainly like to read more about it, the guys you went with, the terrain, equipment, etc. I recall reading a National Geographic story a couple decades ago, and it took them a long time as I recall.

Thanks, and glad to see you back on the forum,

CWS
                    thanks cws, we didn't start out at 35 a day but we were tring to have an avrge of 28-30 miles aday and we were falling behind so we tried to pick up the pace for a few days. and yes for my .....ummmm ... size it was quite a struggle.
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      OSC,

Don't feel bad; that pace of 35 a day just isn't possible for a novice. Only the more expierenced hikers can keep that up in the heat. Big boned boys like ourselves; no way. Maybe on flat terrain but not on an 10% incline. That 20 a day pace you had starting out may have felt slow but seems about right to me. Give your body a rest and try it again in the fall. This time start up north and walk downhill towards Georgia

we were tring to keep the mile high cause the terain was fairly easy going from georgia though to north carolina(i only made it to south carolina) cause that is were it starts getting real tough we were onlt figuring that we would be only getting 10 miles at best on some days and it is best what happend to me happened where it did cause it it would have happened in pennsy i might have been in real trouble.
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

the thing that hurt me most is i tried to hide what was happing till it was way to late to do anything on the trail, i also should have changed my dressing 4-5 times aday with dry socks, but my pride stood in the way and caused me trouble and pain as well as costing others trouble i just thought i could handle my problems with out any ones help just as before i took this hike, it nothing else, i learned that when i have a problem i need to mention it to some before things get out of hand.
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                          the thing that hurt me most is i tried to hide what was happing till it was way to late to do anything on the trail, i also should have changed my dressing 4-5 times aday with dry socks, but my pride stood in the way and caused me trouble and pain as well as costing others trouble i just thought i could handle my problems with out any ones help just as before i took this hike, it nothing else, i learned that when i have a problem i need to mention it to some before things get out of hand.
                          I'm sure most of us could use a bit of work in this area. When you have a lot of pride its hard to admit a weakness.
                          Pride is a funny thing, sometimes I think its my best trait and sometimes I think its my worst trait.
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

well its good to see that you are OK other then a blister on your foot
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                              well its good to see that you are OK other then a blister on your foot
                              lol thanks but the blistered area id 9" long and the with of my foot and between each toe and almost 3/16" deep in some places as of today......... it is the mother of all blisters
                              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                              X