X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old house electrical wiring

I opened a exterior wall and discovered my 1956 house wiring has some cloth insulated wire. The cloth wires I discovered are wrapped around a stud and a few have copper exposed, looks like a bird or rodent chewed through it to the copper.

I pulled the wires away from the stud and wrapped them (separately) in electrical tape.

Any suggestions on the next step? Is there a device that can test the integrity of a wires insulation?

Thanks,

BC

Re: Old house electrical wiring

You can use a tool called a megger to test the insulation properties of a pair of wires. To properly repair you need to cut out the damaged portion and make the join inside a box, however the box needs to remain accessible. You can do this on a exterior wall by adding a light or plug. If you can not add an exposed box you need to pull in a new wire from the termination points

Comment

Thanks for your response.

If I pull a new wire to replace the deteriorating cloth insulated wire, does it have to be in a metal conduit?

Comment

Not sure about your code but up here you do not need to use conduit inside walls in residential. If you have not solved the rodent issue it may be a good idea to run BX or armor cable if you do not want to (and code does not require you to) run conduit

Comment

Thanks,

I was able to trace the 3 old damaged wires and run new 12g to the box. It turns out 2 of these wires were not connected to anything.

I thought these old, bare wires were causing my lights (on breaker #8) to occasionally flicker. The replacement wires didn't solve the flickering problem. The flickering lights continue at the same time another circuit is causing a television to shut off.

Any ideas on what might cause this flickering?

Thanks again,
          BGC

Comment

Most likely a loose connection at an outlet, switch or light. Turn off power to the flickering circuit and then find all the places that the power is off. Pull all the outlets, switches and lights and check the connections and wire nuts. Just hope you don't have a junction box sealed up in a wall. You will also need to check any junction boxes in the basement that are dead when the circuit is off.

Comment

Working...
            X