Alkaline Cell Shelf Life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alkaline Cell Shelf Life

This is something I think some of you may like to know about. I had a pack of Drurcell MN1300 D cells that I had put on a basement shelf long ago and just found them this morning. They are dated January 2001. I thought being that old that they would have self discharged. Anyway I put the 2 of them into a good (2) D cell flashight and turned it on. It lighted up nice and bright and stayed pretty good for about 3 hours and then started to dim. At 4 hours it was pretty dim so I removed and trashed them. Now brand new Duracell, or Energizer or Rayovac size D cells would give longer use time, but I think it's pretty good when the old ones which had expired 6-1/2 years ago could still be of use. Keep in mind that this is not a cold basement and it's pretty dry. I have some brand new ones dated June 2013 and put them in my refrigerator. In say 7 or 8 years (I'll keep them on ice during power failures) I'll try them out. I did get 10 hours from new ones in the same flashlight and it's still bright. I'll see how it is later tonight and also in the morning and will update this post then. The lamp (bulb) is the common PR2 type and not some fancy high brightness gas filled kind.

Re: Alkaline Cell Shelf Life

Normally I store them at room temp. The idea of doing a few at 40 F (about) is to test how much change in self discharge it makes. The bulb burned out in the test flashlight and I wasn't there to know at just what time. I figure the old Duracell cells had less than 1/4 of their new charge left so they were far from new ones but I still think it's pretty good they had that much left. I can't really say about other brands as I haven't found any old unused ones around here.

Comment

Re: Alkaline Cell Shelf Life

I use my milwaukee cordless 18volt flashlight,my makita 12 volt flashlight and a makita 14.4 flourecent(spelling) light when power goes out. Alkaline batteries are a pain specially if you leave em in the flashlight(leaking acid).
      You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X