X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive Wildfire

I am in Las Vegas now but I just got here after leaving my place in Utah. That wildfire in Centeral Utah is just the other side of the range from my place by maybe 15 miles. Yesterday the fire burnt 160,000 acres (250 sq miles) and caused 127 miles of the 15 freeway plus 28 miles of the 70 to close. Both of those are roads I normally take to get out of my canyon.

This morning I checked road conditions and saw the roads had reopened so I headed out. The flames along the freeway were fifty feet high and moving fast. I heard on the radio they reclosed the roads after I made it through.

Once I got into the area with the fire I was second guessing the fact that I had loaded one of my quads inside of my enclosed utility van earlier in the week to bring home. I also learned those bulkheads are not sealed very well so between gas fumes and the smoke I feel like I spent the day in a cigar bar.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Massive Wildfire

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    I am in Las Vegas now but I just got here after leaving my place in Utah. That wildfire in Centeral Utah is just the other side of the range from my place by maybe 15 miles. Yesterday the fire burnt 160,000 acres (250 sq miles) and caused 127 miles of the 15 freeway plus 28 miles of the 70 to close. Both of those are roads I normally take to get out of my canyon.

This morning I checked road conditions and saw the roads had reopened so I headed out. The flames along the freeway were fifty feet high and moving fast. I heard on the radio they reclosed the roads after I made it through.

Once I got into the area with the fire I was second guessing the fact that I had loaded one of my quads inside of my enclosed utility van earlier in the week to bring home. I also learned those bulkheads are not sealed very well so between gas fumes and the smoke I feel like I spent the day in a cigar bar.

Mark

Wow!!! I just wanted to ask you about the fire cause it is all over the news.So you live close to it? We ' ll say a prayer for your house and hope firefighters will get it out

Mrs wc

PS- as you probably noticed i'm only posting threads to non plumbing related questions,the only thing i knwo about plumbing is never put the leftovers in the in-sink erator
    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 07-08-2007, 09:57 PM.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I checked online this morning and the fire has now burnt 283,000 acres with no containment in sight. The fire started 30 miles East of my place but is burning in a Northeasterly direction for now. At this point I would be lying if I'd didn't admit to being just a little nervous as the fire traveled 40-miles just on Saturday.

Mark
      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 07-09-2007, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Utah, be safe and be careful!! Watch the weather and pay attention to wind directions. A fire of that size creates it's own weather, so the prevailing wind directions are only so reliable. Make sure, absolutely CERTAIN that you have a way out. Gather what you'll need for a few days, and don't worry about what's left. If it were me, I'd be hightailin it on outta there.

We'll keep you in our prayers, and hope this fire spares your land and home. Be well, be careful, and when needs be, be FAST!!!
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Mark, I hope your place comes through OK.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks guys.

Mark

Comment

Good luck to you. Do they have controlled burns over there?

Comment

Originally posted by JWMustang View Post
                Good luck to you. Do they have controlled burns over there?
                Yes they do and it was thought this may have been a controlled burn gone wrong but ended up being lightening. Friday it only burned 2,000 acres then the winds came up and burned another 280,000 in the next two days.

Many hay farmers have lost their entire crop as the fire is burning up the 15 corridor which has a lot of small farms. I guess everything is so dry it is hard to stop the fire.

Mark

Comment

Utah,
                  saying an extra prayer for you and yours tonight.
                  Jim Don

Comment

It's been three days Mark.A little Joey bird told me you made it through.How close was the call?

Comment

Adam,

LOL-boy you are behind. I left my place in Utah on Sunday to work in Las Vegas. I was only suppose to work in Las Vegas on Monday so I checked out of the hotel Monday morning. As luck would have it the Plaintiff did not seem to know what he was doing so I had to check back into the hotel Monday night to continue the project on Tuesday. Tuesday I think the Plaintiff's expert figured out they were in trouble so they gave the project back to me (Developer). I asked the plumber to repair it as it was his problem. The Attorneys sent everyone home because they were arguing over who was going to do it. I got home to Los Angeles late Tuesday night but got a call Wed. afternoon saying the plumber was going to do the repair on Friday so this afternoon I drove back to Las Vegas and I checked into the hotel for the third time this week so I can watch the repair tomorrow. Welcome to my World.

As for the fire it is still burning to the North East and I am due East so unless the wind changes I should be OK. When I left I did have to drive by some pretty good flames and my truck is still full of ash and smoke smell.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X