X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspector? what for

Had an sewer line inspection the other day 80 foot. You can get a time that they will come out to the job for inspection if you call early in the morning. Well this guy was running 1-1/2 behind that time. He drove down the alley looked down the ditch got out of the car went and signed the permit and said good bye. This seems to be the norm for me. Why have inspections if they are not going to check it over a little bit... At least let me cover in-between the joints of the pipe.

Re: Inspector? what for

Freddy,

Ask him next time if you can take a picture of it then backfill all except the joints. Most should say thats OK. Then you're not working late backfilling a ditch

Mine usually just stay in the air conditioned car and ask if me if I did it right. I say "of course" and he hands me the approval sticker already filled out

Sadly, most of the inspectors know less about plumbing than I do. And I know squat

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

Ask him next time if you can take a picture of it then backfill all except the joints. Most should say thats OK. Then you're not working late backfilling a ditch
      This is the way its done around here. One Inspector for building that comes around once a week, maybe. We just call and ask, then take our picture and put it in a laptop. He will not look at the picture from a camera, too small. Holes must have a tape measure in it for accurate depth, etc. What ever should be visible must be in picture, so take more than one. Never had to re dig a hole, or take apart something.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I've received finals for sewer lines before the excavator is even un chained from the trailer!
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by freddy View Post
          Had an sewer line inspection the other day 80 foot. You can get a time that they will come out to the job for inspection if you call early in the morning. Well this guy was running 1-1/2 behind that time. He drove down the alley looked down the ditch got out of the car went and signed the permit and said good bye. This seems to be the norm for me. Why have inspections if they are not going to check it over a little bit... At least let me cover in-between the joints of the pipe.
          time to read my thread about "underqualified plumbers, contractors and inspectors". i've been complaining about this for years. even put the chief building inspector on the spot during a radio talk show sure i got a phone call from his assistant many weeks later, but nothing has changed

of course, this is primarly on residential work as the inspectors are combination and not a real plumbing inspector.

of course not knowing where you live it's hard to compare. a state would be a good start

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Another inspector job that a friend of mine had done. Pulled a permit to replace a shower pan in a 2rd floor condo. Put the pan in. Had water in pan. Inspector checked job signed off on the permit. Plumber get paid figure job done. almost 1 year latter city calls and said you never called in for a final inspection. What, now you are required to cover the tile man"s trade. This is why getting permits for jobs, are somtimes not worth the effort. The bottom line is. It"s going to fall on the plumber anyhow so, why waste time and money on the inspector.
            As far as backfilling, they won't let you. They found one guy one time, that had the pipe running up and down in the ditch.So they say. And now they require you to keep it open, other than a few pile of dirt to hold pipe down in case of rain.

Comment

Ewwwwww my favorite discussion. I made a habbit of making friends with inspectors over the years. In some Counties, it got to the point where the inspector would come out, see my truck, then sign the permit without stepping foot in the house. Made me feel good, knowing he felt I always did the right and best job.

Had another inspector in another County, every time a week of any Holiday came about, my boss would give me a bottle of the best rum, wrap it, and give it to the inspector. He never failed any of the jobs our company did...

There are some who obide by the letter of the law, review the work, talk to you, tell you what they are looking for & why. Others, just collecting a pay check...

Comment

Working...
              X