X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplements for a better YOU

As some of you know, I'm into weightlifting and used to be into supplements alot. Some supplements are crap and others are really good! Here is a small list that I think would help people out whether you workout or not:

1. A good multi-vitamin. I like using Now Foods multivitamin called Adam. It's a multi made especially for men. I would recommend buying a pill cutter/crusher. Vitamins are better absorbed when crushed because the body doesn't have to "disassemble" the pill. Just like you wouldn't swallow a steak whole (even if you could) LOL! Using the cutting part of a pill cutter will break it in two and splitting up vitamins throughout the day is a good idea. Don't buy the cheap vitamins from Walmart. A lot of the time the vitamins aren't even absorbed. Plus, the ratios of vitamins are off (too much can be a bad thing) and have bad fillers in them that can be harmful.

2. ZMA - It's really cheap. You can buy 100 capsules for $10 online. You take 3 before you go to bed. It's made up of Zinc Monomethionine Aspartate, Magnesium Aspartate and vitamin B-6. The combination of these vitamins help you sleep well, can help raise testosterone levels and even give you better morning wood! LOL!

3. Raw Apple Cidar Vinegar - Get the more expensive, organic stuff. There is a difference in the making and filtering of it compared to the regular, cheap apple cidar vinegar. Here is an image of the stuff that I would recommend: http://www.bragg.com/products/images/acv.jpg
    When you use this, first mix a teaspoon with a large amount of water (12+ ounces) to get used to the acidity of it. USE A STRAW when you drink it. If you drink this over a large period of time without a straw, it can hurt the enamel on your teeth (or so I've been told). Using a straw will help avoid this. I personally use 1-2 tablespoons of it. It does burn a little bit, but I feel much better when I take it at least twice a day (morning and night).

4. Water - Drinking enough water helps flush toxins out of the body and is nature's metabolism booster. I would aim for almost a gallon of water a day. Yeah, you'll probably have to go to the bathroom a lot, but that is normal. Keep the urinary tract clean

I know some of you might think, "I don't have time to take this stuff." Your health is #1 and a lot of us work in areas where our health can be affected. Your family and friends want you to be around for a while, so don't cut your life short. Do what you can to help keep yourself healthy
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Re: Supplements for a better YOU

Odd topic, but I take amino's...argenine, lycine, ornithine, carnitine.
    Creatine had a great deal of attention back 10-15 years ago, but turned out to be "too good to be true".

Comment

I take GNC's Mega Man. Seems to work well. I feel better taking it!!!!
      You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Another new and intersting buzz in homeopathic circles is Rezveratrol...a red wine derivative.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          Odd topic, but I take amino's...argenine, lycine, ornithine, carnitine.
          Creatine had a great deal of attention back 10-15 years ago, but turned out to be "too good to be true".
          Some people say they love creatine monohydrate while I think it did jack squat for me.

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          Another new and intersting buzz in homeopathic circles is Rezveratrol...a red wine derivative.
          I've heard good things about this as well.

Originally posted by Akita View Post
          I take GNC's Mega Man. Seems to work well. I feel better taking it!!!!
          I hope you order it online! Never pay retail when it comes to supplements, my friend
          YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

HOA, I also lift and use creatine with a protein stack. I like the lemon lime creatine with the chocalate protein mixed. Sounds weird but good. I also get good results with CLA for keeping my weight down. It's made from safflower seeds and works.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What creatine supplement do you use? I have used some creatine products that give an insane pump, but regular creatine mono never worked for me. Even with a high GI carb (like dextrose), creatine mono never did anything for me.

As for CLA, I'm always saying, "My next order, I'm going to buy some" but then I forget LOL!

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

A better "morning wood"??? ROFLMAO!!! LIke I need more of that when I'm trying to ignore the urge to pee and get more sleep!

Mark
                Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Currently I am just using 100% whey from Optimum Nutrition. Mix it in with a scoop of peanut butter in my oatmeal every morning. Good weight gainer and muscle maintainer.

Used to take creatin and it worked for me. Now I rarely lift an am a scrawny 215 lbs

Oh yeah.. one of the most important things i think the general public is missing is FIBER. it does so many good things for you. Flushes your system.. keeps you regular... fills you up and keeps you from eating too much. When I am helping someone loose weight its always the first thing I suggest as an easy addative. (people dont like eating less... adding something is easy though ;-)

Josh

Comment

This may seem a stupid question, but cant a healthy diet eliminate the need for supplements?

Comment

Depends on your level of activity. For the most part yes. if you eat a well balanced diet you get everything you need. If you are trying to put on more muscle a lot of times its hard to eat enough "clean" food to get enough calories to gain. Some suplements can give you a boost beyond whats reasonably possible to ingest. but in the long run I would say if you eat a perfect diet you are covered

The American public just doesnt eat anywhere near enough fruits and vegetables to get the right vitamins.

Another big problem is people get more than enough calories but are taking in too few quality nutrients. Overweight but malnurished.

Comment

Good call Josh on the fiber. That is also very important! If one doesn't get enough fiber, they can feel bloated all the time and it helps one feel better overall. I take Citrucel once or twice a day and I can tell the difference from the days that I take it and the days that I forget.

As for eating clean foods, I agree. If one is working and walking around constantly, it is kind of hard to be eating enough calories to put on weight. If you try and eat every 3-4 hours and have big meals, you feel full and stuffed when you go back to work, which sucks I find that brown rice doesn't make me feel that bloated and a supplement called Waxy Maize minimizes bloating, even if someone takes in 50g of it.

Also, as stated before, the American public doesn't eat enough fruits and veggies. Even though they can be more expensive than other foods, they are worth it

I don't know if a diet can include all of the vitamins and minerals your body needs. Even if you ate tons of fruits and veggies, I think the body would still be missing some key vitamins and minerals. But, nothing that a good multi can't help. I think EVERYONE can benefit from taking a good multi. If I had to choose one supplement, it would be that. Of course, it's not like if you don't take a multivitamin, your body isn't going to run. It might be perfectly fine without one, but I want to do whatever I can for it to be running in tip top shape

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Working...
                        X