X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special wrench?

I need to remove a specialized nut. It is round, 14mm in diameter and has 4 notches. In the photo there is a large washer behind the nut I'm talking about.

What is the name of the wrench that will turn this?

And Josh, my golf shoe cleat wrench didn't work, but is close.

TIA
    Attached Files

Re: Special wrench?

Reminds me.... I really need to switch out my spikes.

What did this part come off of? Saw?

Comment

It's from a vintage VOX AC-30 guitar amp. Like the Beatles (and the Who and the Kinks) used. Too expensive to mar with the wrong tool.

Comment

Perhaps snap-ring pliers would work...

Comment

You need the proper size and type of SPANNER WRENCH for this. Can you give more info including dimensions for everything? While not cheap you might take this along with you and if you see a Mac or Snap-on truck, show it to them. Also check industrial supply and good auto parts stores in your area. Trying to mail order such a tool would require that you know all the needed technical info for the tool. That can become a bit wild.

The picture below should give some idea. There are little pins (one each) in the ends of the arms. This tool comes in several sizes and with different size pins. The right one should work wonders for your needs there.

If you download and print this PDF file you'll get better info about them.

http://www.martinsprocket.com/2001/secJ.pdf#J36

Armstrong and SK also have a selection of them and my thinking is that the full set by SK may be more what you need as they are for smaller sizes, but do you want to spend $100 for a tool? The more info you can add to your picture the better chance someone on here can find the right tool for you.

Special Note: The spanner wrench shown runs around $25 and is a high quality USA made tool. Martin is big into industrial tools for serious users. There are other brands to look at as well. Please post all the info you can and if you can do so, please post drawings with dimensions. The more info the better chance of getting the right tool.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Woussko; 07-18-2007, 02:09 PM.

Comment

looks like an adjustable spanner wrench will do it. you need to size up the 2 holes and get one that the pins will fit properly. i have one thats universal for my grinder.

what is the spread between the 2 pin holes. what is the pin hole diameter.

a drill bit will make a good measuring tool. the chuck side.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

woussko, you type faster and it's not early morning for you

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

cjh20, cool amp!!!! what year? what does/is the piece you are trying to remove?

checkout

sweetwater dot com - huge dealer

Mercury Magnetics - mostly Xformers but may be helpful

Reinhardtamps dot com - booteak builder that may be able to help.

STAY AWAY FROM ampwares

steve
                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

What is the approx. diameter of the circle of the notches?
                  Looks to be about 1/2" or 5/8". I know you said 14mm in your post but you didn't say if this was the OD of the piece of the bolt circle.

This looks similar to a special deep well socket used to remove car radios years ago. It's also similar to a nut used to mount electronic components such as pots or switches in radios (mostly handhelds like Motorola Walkie-Talkies) or for panel-mounted BNC connectors.

Here's an example of wht I am talking about

You could make yourself one using a cheap socket. Find a cheap socket whose diameter matches the circle and grind it down to leave two or four fingers which will fit the notches.
                  Last edited by Bob D.; 10-19-2007, 04:56 PM.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

stxrus - its a 1969. A friend of mine who owns a recording studio recently purchased it. The plywood shelf that the electronics are mounted on and that slides into the cabinet was damaged in shipping and I'm making a replacement for him. I admitted years ago that I would never be a guitarist. I finally knocked the dust off and gave my Les Paul and Peavey to this friend a few years ago.

The OD is 14mm, ID 9.5mm, the notches are (approx.) 1.5mm wide, 1mm deep and 1.5mm long.

Bob, that is exactly what I’m looking for. I was thinking about cutting a key for it, but modifying a socket would be easier if I can’t find one or a moderately priced spanner wrench. I’ve looked around several of the local tool dealers without luck… May swing by an electrical supply house next week if I don’t make something this weekend.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

A piece of copper tubing or pipe would work also for a one time wrench.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The Martin spanner wrenches all have pins of too large a diameter for this. Bob's idea of grinding a socket seems like a winner to me if you can't find one factory made. I'm going to look for a 2 tine fork made out of tool steel. I've seen them somewhere.

These are too small, but may give you ideas on how you might make your own custom tool. This might be a bit less trouble than grinding away a socket, and then maybe not. http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/719span.htm

If nothing else, you might try buying several pair of cheap long nose pliers and grinding down the nose until it's a good fit in the slots. Then use an adjustable wrench to help turn them. This is a very 1/2 @$$ way of doing things, but has worked for me in the past. Do think and practice safety. Wear your safety glasses for sure.
                        Last edited by Woussko; 07-20-2007, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Update

A truck mechanic that I know said to check the MAC, MATCO and SNAP-ON trucks if you see any in your area and ask them to show you what they have in the way of BALL JOINT Sockets. He is pretty sure if you dig hard you'll find just what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by cjh20 View Post
                            It's from a vintage VOX AC-30 guitar amp. Like the Beatles (and the Who and the Kinks) used. Too expensive to mar with the wrong tool.
                            a lot of good sugestions but if it IS too valuable to "mash up" (west indian term for f%#^ up) then contact Vox directly.

also, if you are replacing a drawer/slide with a non vintage piece the "resale/collectable" value is shot to hell. it's a finicky market in the vintage stuff. virtually ANYTHING not stock just diminishes the value.

just my $.02 before taxes.

steve
                            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X