X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musicians... What do you play

Noticed a few of you talking about playing guitar. Wonered how many other musicians we have on the board here.

I used to play base in a heavy metal band. (Covered Pantera and Metallica) Our only gig got rained out so I ended up playing Rush with the band for a few months. I then lead worship in my churches college group for a few years. Now I just play guitar and piano for the boys to keep em quiet when they are rowdy.

Self taught on guitar and piano.

Josh

Re: Musicians... What do you play

8 years formal clarinet. self taught sax and flute. couldn't get the flute. mostly self taught guitar.

if anyone is really interested i'll relate a guitar story that will make you cry

i currently only gig on the odd occasion and do a blues jam on sundays at a local marina. pretty cool stuff. possible beach bar house band in the offing. we'll see

i giged through college and for a short stint afterwards. was in a band in Dallas that was fun but we mostly giged at biker parties and the like.

was in a band here for 2 1/2 yeears but if folded because of too many outside interests.

currently i own a '46 Gibson BR-9 lap steel, 1975 Yamaha FG-365S with totally worn out frets, a 2000 Gibson SG (my 8th,i think), a 2003 Fender Tele (white blondew/tortoise PG) based on a 50s model (7.25 radius neck), and a 2007 Fender Strat (surf green think 50s chevy) again based on a 50s model. amp wise i hhave a '72 Princeton Reverb, a 2002 Peavey C-30, and am having a Reinhardt 18 Watt being built. it's based on the Marshall 18Ws but with some whistles and bells.

that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I own a couple of Ovations but even I think I suck at guitar.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Way back in grade school days I learned and played some piano but never was much good. Later I got into trumpet (jazz) but didn't stick with it too long. Anymore as most of you know my music is howling like a sick old hound.
        Last edited by Woussko; 07-18-2007, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
          Noticed a few of you talking about playing guitar. Wonered how many other musicians we have on the board here.

I used to play base in a heavy metal band. (Covered Pantera and Metallica) Our only gig got rained out so I ended up playing Rush with the band for a few months. I then lead worship in my churches college group for a few years. Now I just play guitar and piano for the boys to keep em quiet when they are rowdy.

Self taught on guitar and piano.

Josh
          Self taught as well...know theory/modes, Dimebag was the BEST!
          Rush...nobody will ever change hard rock the way they did.."Tom Sawyer".
          I had every word memorized from "Moving Pictures".
          I used to compete in Bostons answer to the LA guitar wars...usually came in top 10-15.
          Never got into the bubblegum "white lion", "Poison" (hated Cee-Cee Deville) type "metal"...always liked Pantera, Extreme, Megadeath, Metalica...etc.
          Then I hit a brick wall....nobody wanted to listen to long haired egomaniacs in spandex play sweep arpeggio's all day anymore.
          Got a haircut and forced myself to learn to play the same things on ecoustic.
          Also learned to broaden my view musically, there are some incredible players out there that miss out on mainstream because 4/4 melodically consonant repetition bores them ....and they don't care..

Comment

I've played guitar for about 13 years now, and took lessons heavily when i started as a teenager, but learned mostly on my own since i got the "basics".

I can't read music, and play by ear.

I started, like many, into metal. I took lessons for a while from a guy who played with Anthrax for a short while when their lead guitarist died. He was the king of sweeping arpeggios and "shred" style rock.

After the metal phase i went blues. Was really into hendrix and then i went into "old school" blues - The King, Bo-Diddley, etc. I started playing with a slide and was into Big Sugar (Gordie Johnson).

I played lead in a few bands and worked at a guitar shop for a while during my 6 years in university- never really made any money in the music industry. Professional music is like professional sports - lots of money for the big guys, and nothing for the litle guys.

I still play quite a bit - mostly acoustic folk with a harmonica and 6 string. It seems i have mellowed in the last few years

Comment

there are some killer players out there in most MUSICAL genres. hell, i never thought i'd like or listen to Prince until a friend made me listen to his playing. that little dude can rock.

Warren Haynes may very well be the best well rounded player active today, IMHO. Got Mule?

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                there are some killer players out there in most MUSICAL genres. hell, i never thought i'd like or listen to Prince until a friend made me listen to his playing. that little dude can rock.

Warren Haynes may very well be the best well rounded player active today, IMHO. Got Mule?

steve
                Government Mule...great stuff, very different, interesting...yet you can still "bop your head".
                I'd ask you to listen to John Mc Glaughlin...from when he was in Mahavishnu, then some of his more recent acoustic work, the simple fact that he could play such adversely different styles so well is amazing, he's blindingly fast/brilliant.

Comment

DB,
                  i've listened to Mahavishnu for years. unfortunately i find him (overall) to be boring like Al DiMeola. he is fast and has some tasty licks, but it gets old to me. same with Walter Trout. killer chops but i can only listen to so many 1/32 notes. i much prefer the likes of Albert King, John Lee Hooker, Freddie King, etc that can take a single note and do more with it than most shredders can with 300 notes. Wingnut Malmsteem comes to mind.

Now one of my alltime favorite shredders *trumpet fanfare here* Roy Clark.

steve

Comment

I was a Nuno Bettencourt fan back in the day (lead for Extreme). Was also a Dimebag fan. Was bummed for a couple days after he was shot.

Favorite piece to play... Dee by Randy Rhodes.

Comment

Soprano through baritone sax. 2 children play sax as well. We have a alto tenor baritone sax trio(use other combos as well). We play at nursing homes,church,mother daughter banquets etc. The kids have gotten quite good!!!!The oldest even one 1st place on tenor sax in a music foundation scholarship competion. This was awesome as it was classical music. Sax gets a bad rap w/ classical.
                      You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Used to carry around my brothers guitar because chicks dig musicians.
                        Never learned a single note but my wife says I can sing like Frank Sinatra

Comment

I've got a Yamaha P-80 electric piano right here next to me , I've got a decent size office and have bein playing for 30 years , I read music though , I always wished I could play by ear . I play mostly classic rock . . Too bad we couldn't have a Ridgid jam

Comment

Guitar. I sold most of my guitars and amps. I'm down to an American anniversary Strat and American custom Tele. These I'll never sell!
                            I was into metal / hard rock big time. Now I just mostly like blues...

Comment

Flute and guitar here. Flute in HS and some in college...don't touch it much these days, but I do remember some of it! Hubby's the musician with at least 8 guitars and a full recording studio. He and a couple neighbors have a loose group that plays at times. You can see one of their latest gigs here:
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=UzalCaazfhg

As far as guitarists go, I still think Jeff Beck and his band is one of the best out there. Along with Imogean Heap, their version of "Rollin and Tumblin" is really rockin! Check out the CD, "You Had it Coming" if you get a chance.
                              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X