X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• played a "vintage" tele this evening

had the chance to play a real '67 tele tonight through a divided by 13 amp.

the amp rocks. is pure tone for days, even though the speakers (2 x 12) were celestions voiced at 55HZ. not lead speakers at all but OK for rhythm. it's nice but not worth the $$$ to me.

the tele is basically bone stock. supposidly a 7.25 radius neck that feels MUCH flatter. but then again they were still made mostly by hand back then.

overall i'd give it 7 - 8.25 rating. my MIM classic 50s tele has a much better feel (i'm not a fan of rosewood boards) and more bite. the bridge pup on the '67 was way hotter than mine but my neck pup owned the '67.

relatively light for a 60s at just over 7lbs, according to the owner, i'm gonna do a full setup on mine and have a playoff. tele vs tele nOT player vs player. i'd get slayed but i think my tele can hold it's own.

i'll try to get pix if possible.

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Re: played a "vintage" tele this evening

I'm partial to maple fret boards and a 9.5 inch radius. The maple gives it a slightly brighter sound, or so it seems.
    I don't usually like Crate, but I have one of their VC50 tube amps, and I think that it's one of the warmest sounding tube amps. Bill Lawrence L-280 pickups in my ash tele sound amazing through this amp - vintage sound without the hum.

Comment

Newman

With the tube amp if you have a good Variac try adjusting the line Voltage from about 90 up to a max of 130 (maybe limit to 125 to be safe) Volts as you play long notes. I think you'll have some fun with that. Others should give it a try too. Just don't get wild and blow up things. Have some heart for the old vintage gems.
      Last edited by Woussko; 07-24-2007, 03:24 PM.

Comment

i prefer to stay away from attenuators as they can KILL an amp. that's why i'm having an 18w built. plenty of room with lots of crunch. my 30w very seldome gets above 6 and i really don't want to abuse the Princeton Reverb moer than i have to.

back when i had a 45w Marshall i had a variac and almost took out both transformers plus shortening the life of tubes. besides i'm tgetting oo old to lug a 4x12 half stack around.

BTW the divided by 13 is only about 3 years old. this cat has a Matchless, a Dumble, and a couple of booteak amps. i don't think he has any vintage amps but he does have 3 vintage fender guitars that fit the bill.

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
        X