Where we live.....likes and dislikes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where we live.....likes and dislikes

Thinking about my retirement and I want to travel the country but where would I go? Maybe I'll pick your town who knows.

Name 5 things you like and don't like about where you live. The weather, nightlife, the piece and quiet; whatever.

Washington, DC

Dislikes:
    The music scene. Nothing good has come out of here since Marvin Gaye.
    The tourists. If another one asks me where the Jefferson Memorial is I'm gunna run them down
    The crime. It's getting better but always there.
    The politics. Can't throw a stone around here without hitting a politician.
    The meter maids. I wish the rest of the DC gov. operated as efficiently

The food. It's Restaurant Week and I found 2 new favorites.
    The Smithsonian Museums. Always free, always spectacular
    The economy. DC is practically immune from recessions.
    The neighbors. I get a new one after every election.
    The Redskins. They will be a dominate team again someday....someday

Re: Where we live.....likes and dislikes

La Quinta, Ca
    Dislikes:
    1. Snowbirds and their big white cars driving slow and pacing each other.
    2.Traffic is horrible for the size of towns around here. Too many gated communities and golf courses in the way means very few through roads.
    3.115-120 temps in the summer.
    4. Everything is expensive because of all the disposable income folks that make this the location of their winter homes.
    5. No real trees. Palm trees are just overgrown lawn ornaments.

Likes.
    1. Temperature from Nov to March. Example: Jan 1st, standing in yard in shorts and bare foot not at all chilly.
    2. Mini skirts are a year round thing
    3. Short drive to many types of terrain from blazing hot flat desert to rugged mountains.
    4. I think I still own a heavy jacket.
    5. Did I mention mini skirts?
    Jack

Comment

Dislikes

1. The cold for about 1 1/2 months.
      5. Thats all, I love where I live..... I will die here too....

1. The beauty of our area (woods, lakes and most of all Fall time is dynamite).
      2. Mother nature is great to us (no Tornado's, Hurricanes, Fire, earth quakes and never gets extremely hot).
      3. Virtually no crime (peaceful).
      4. People are absolutely great here.
      5. No snakes, alligators, sharks, scorpions, killer bees, nothing poisoned at all.

6. I could go on forever about this area. I have lived in 4 countries, visited a total of 12 countries, lived in Alaska, down to Texas and over to Hawaii (28 states total). Been to the Alps mountains and the Rocky Mountains. Every where has its own beauty and appeals, but Northern Minnesota, I feel in love with, its great here...

All this is about my area only, not the entire state.....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

DITTO to what Garager says plus # 7 is FISHING!!!

Comment

Dislikes:
          1. Too many millionares living nearby throwing their $$$ around and driving up the prices of everything for us common folk.
          2. Wind. The wind comes off the Rockies in our valley at 50+ MPH gusts nearly all winter.
          3. The Fondas, Turners, and other hotshot celebrities buying up their "ranches" which generally consist of fenced areas of deer, elk, buffalo and other wildlife they can "hunt" with their rich friends and look important.
          4. The fisherman from California and Wisconson who stumble around in the waters with their iPods and cell phones on constantly, paying no attention to what is around them.
          5. Tourists passing through to/from Yellowstone National Park complaining about no fast food joints, fancy convience stores or how the roads are so hard on their Benz/BMW/Caddy/far to expensive POS.

1. Fishing. Jillions of fly fishing spots within a couple 100 miles that are some of the best and world renowned. Excellent all year around. Tons just within a 10 to 30 minute drive of my home.
          2. Skiing, several places to skii for months.
          3. No big city stuff to deal with, outside of the terrible meth issue unfortunately quite predominant in this state.
          4. Wholesome environment to raise a family and reasonable quality of life at a reasonable cost of living.
          5. No sales tax.
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

what's not to like? it's paradise, after all.

dislikes:
            storm season

only other place i'd live would be Grenada. i love the tropics

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
              DITTO to what Garager says plus # 7 is FISHING!!!
              Fishing in the State of 10,000 lakes, but actually there is over 14,000 lakes and we share the biggest freshwater lake of all and I live 3 blocks from it. But I also like pipestone kid neck of the woods, lots of lakes up in that area.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                Fishing in the State of 10,000 lakes, but actually there is over 14,000 lakes and we share the biggest freshwater lake of all and I live 3 blocks from it. But I also like pipestone kid neck of the woods, lots of lakes up in that area.

But how are the mosquitoes this time of year?

Comment

LOS ANGELES-CALIFORNIA

Let's start with dislikes since there is a lot of them

1) Cheater Major Antonio Villaraigosa

2) Was forced to delete #2

3) Going to dmv and handing me the form on spanish

4) Expensive houses and lenders who will give people adjustable rate on the loan just to get the commision and after 4 months people have to foreclose

5) Traffic and a LOT OF SMOG

6) No outside shopping stores, everything is in the freaking mall. Who wants to spend 4 hrs indoors on a beautfull day

7) Filthy dirty and probably some days with sewage ocean

8) Was forced to delte #8

9) BIG ONE...NOT HAVING THE RAIIN. I dont remember when was the last time it rained...SUCKS

10) Vegetables being so expensive and fast food practicly for free,in europe it is so opposite

11) People drinking gallon of soda as soon on the way to work. I see it all the time

12) Time warner-the worst cable ever-those people need to go to pokey

13) GAS-VERY EXPENSIVE-WELL ACTUALLY CHEAP COMPERAING TO EUROPE

14) When daily breeze has food coupons and there is nothing from what i want,basics:milk,meat,bread,sausages,salami,it's always for freakin chips,nasty kids juices and burrtios,4 for $1...please give me a break ralphs!!!

15) Not being able to find sexy stiletos. Such a a pain..Who wears pumps below 3 inches???? All stores have a non fashion look...EUROPE I MISS YOU!!!!

16) Forced to delete #16

1) my dog charlie-he is actually from oklahoma but got adapted pretty well-my little angelinos
                  Last edited by mrs. westcoast; 08-14-2007, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    But how are the mosquitoes this time of year?

I don't know--I don't fish for them!

Comment

DISLIKES:

1. The 300,000 people who have moved into my Valley after I moved in.
                      2. The sanctuary policies of the City of Los Angeles.
                      3. The ultra liberal legislators we have in California.
                      4. The crowds everywhere I go.
                      5. The air quality when the smog sneaks through the pass from Los Angeles.

1. The fact that within an hours drive I can be at the beach.
                      2. The fact that within an hours drive I can be in the mountains.
                      3. The fact that within an hours drive I can be in the desert.
                      4. The fact that within an hours drive I can be in the snow.
                      5. The fact that I can make a good enough living here to vacation whenever and wherever I want.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Dislikes
                        1. the wind (normally)
                        2. the extremes of heat and cold, hot up to 105 summer and to -40 in the winter, to day was only 101,
                        3. probably the dryness (or minimal rains)
                        4. Blizzards and tornadoes and hail,
                        5. Probably the poverty of the area, low pay and wages, but the cost of living is low as well. The drought of the last 9 years has taken it toll on the community and the area.

Likes,

1. The solitude, of things. my next door neighbor is over a mile away. The lack of population, County's population aprox. 2,500, Land area: about 550 sq. mi.
                        and I am not in the populated area of the county, (there is definitely more cattle than people). (once and a while you can hear a train whistle the tracks are over 9 miles away.)
                        2.the openness of the area,
                        3. The beauty of the night sky, seeing the stars and the beauty of the night sky, watching the moon rise, or the sun set or rise.
                        4. The beauty of the land in the spring, the wild flowers in the pasture, the beauty of the the grass lands,
                        5. The traffic or more accuracy the lack of it, (I think there were 3 pickups/cars that went by to day), 12 miles to a town of less than 1000 pop, and then another 30 miles to a town of about 20.000 pop.
                        6. The freedom of the area, very few places (governmental agencies) looking over your shoulder, taxes low,
                        7. Nearly non existent crime,
                        Last edited by BHD; 08-14-2007, 06:54 PM.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

1. Some of the best doctors and hospitals anywhere in the USA if not the world

2. Loads of places where I can find things I need/want nearby

3. Good neighbors and it's my home area that I grew up in

Dislikes:

1. Me no habla EsPanol and the Hispanics are about taking over much of the area. I don't hate them, but sometimes I just can't stand them and their ways.

2. Cost of living keeps going up.

3. Too many people per square mile.

4. Way too much traffic and most people in my area really have no idea of how they should drive.

5. Summers seem to get hotter, more muggy and the air quality lower. That's what happens when you live in the midst of several large cities

My future plans:

Go far out into the country and away from all this rat race. That's after I take care of matters that I have no choice over first and that's going to take time.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                            1. Some of the best doctors and hospitals anywhere in the USA if not the world

2. Loads of places where I can find things I need/want nearby

3. Good neighbors and it's my home area that I grew up in

Dislikes:

1. Me no habla EsPanol and the Hispanics are about taking over much of the area. I don't hate them, but sometimes I just can't stand them and their ways.

2. Cost of living keeps going up.

3. Too many people per square mile.

4. Way too much traffic and most people in my area really have no idea of how they should drive.

5. Summers seem to get hotter, more muggy and the air quality lower. That's what happens when you live in the midst of several large cities

My future plans:

Go far out into the country and away from all this rat race. That's after I take care of matters that I have no choice over first and that's going to take time.
                            Couldn't agree more

Comment

I Don't care where I live.
                              I just want to see the sexy stilettos.
                              Jim Don

Comment

Working...
                              X