Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• utah miners update

Rescue crews one-third of way to missing Utah miners

Rescue crews have cleared a path about one-third of the way to where six missing Utah miners may be trapped, the mine's co-owner said on Tuesday, the eighth day of the search.
    Officials believe the miners may have retreated to the rear of the mine in search of air after their escape routes were cut off by rubble.
    Bob Murray, right, head of Murray Energy Corp., co-owner of the mine, estimated the crews were about 366 metres away from the rear air pocket on Tuesday.
    (Scott Sommerdorf/The Salt Lake Tribune/Associated Press)
    Bob Murray, head of Murray Energy Corp., co-owner of the mine, estimated the crews were about 366 metres away from the rear air pocket on Tuesday, having already cleared one-third of the route.
    Murray said the underground crews were progressing steadily forward for the first time since the collapse. Their movement has been slow due to the need to fortify the mine walls and roof amidst seismic aftershocks, in addition to clearing the rubble.
    "This activity has been progressing very slowly, but we are getting there," Murray said, adding that at the current rate of progress crews should reach the men in five to seven days.
    The miners have been trapped in the Crandall Canyon Mine, built into a mountain in the Mati-La Sal National Forest about 225 kilometres south of Salt Lake City, since a collapse on Aug. 6

Re: utah miners update

I am afraid there is little hope of the miners surviving this long. I feel for their family’s loss but I am sure this has been just as hard if not harder on Mr. Murray. If they find the miners have not survived I hope there is medical personnel close by for Mr. Murray as well.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Officials at the Crandall Canyon Mine in Utah said Sunday that six miners trapped for nearly two weeks may never be found. The pessimistic tone follows new information from a fourth hole drilled down into the mine that indicated there wasn't enough oxygen present to sustain life.

Officials at the Crandall Canyon Mine in Utah on Sunday conceded that six miners trapped for nearly two weeks may never be found.
      "It's likely these miners may not be found," Murray Energy Corporation Vice President Rob Moore said at a news conference Sunday.

The six men have not been heard from since the Crandall Canyon Mine collapsed on Aug. 6. Tunneling efforts to find the miners were halted after part of the mine collapsed on Thursday, killing three rescue workers. In the wake of that accident, those leading the rescue say it may not be safe for anyone to go back in to continue the search.

The pessimistic tone follows new information gained from a fourth hole that was drilled down into the mine. A camera showed the area was partially collapsed, and air readings indicated there wasn't enough oxygen present to sustain life.

Moore says that his company intends to re-open other areas of the mine where coal reserves exist. Family members responded to the news with emotions ranging from frustration to anger.
      Despite the faded hopes, rescuers still plan to drill a fifth hole into another part of the mine.

Comment

say i alitte pray for these men as they were only tring to feed their familys much like we do. sadly miners are never thought about until something like this happens
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
        X