Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
What glue for china dinner plate? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What glue for china dinner plate?

    Hi, is there any glue out there for a dinner plate that split in half? I would like to be able to put back in dishwasher also?
    Maybe JB weld?

    Thanks

  • #2
    Re: What glue for china dinner plate?

    you might try super glue but i am not sure if i would eat off of it as it might be toxic
    9/11/01, never forget.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What glue for china dinner plate?

      just buy another plate..

      i broke so many plates so far...i stopped counting after 50
      sigpic

      Robert

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What glue for china dinner plate?

        they do make all types of glues at a Lowe's or hd
        Charlie

        My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


        http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

        new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What glue for china dinner plate?

          Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
          just buy another plate..

          i broke so many plates so far...i stopped counting after 50
          Its a one of a kind House of Blues from there defunct rest in Hollywood. I knew the manager she gave me a full set. I have 5 good ones out fo 6.I use them daily.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What glue for china dinner plate?

            Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
            they do make all types of glues at a Lowe's or hd
            Do they have glues there? Huh that was helpful.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What glue for china dinner plate?

              Originally posted by Woodywoodchuck View Post
              Do they have glues there? Huh that was helpful.
              why dont' you call the people that made it? company?ask for recomendations? or see what material is made of? and call someone?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What glue for china dinner plate?

                Years ago, I used SuperGlue to mend a ceramic cannister set my wife had. IT worked great and has yet to come apart. But, we never stuck it in the dishwasher, so that's an unknown.

                There are so many adhesives out there on the market, I'm sure there would be something even more appropriate. Just read some labels or call a manufacturer directly. SuperGlue or any of the other manufacturers of this type of adhesive would be a good place to start.

                You could also check with some of the craft or cyramic stores in your area, especially those which sponsor or support pottery classes.

                CWS

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What glue for china dinner plate?

                  Try contacting the art department at a large high school or junior college. If you reach someone ask if they have any ceramics or china painting classes. If they do, the teacher should know what would work for your needs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What glue for china dinner plate?

                    If you have a clean break with no chips missing you could try some two-part clear epoxy. Apply it sparingly with a toothpick, Small artists paintbrush, or similar tool, but whatever you use it will be a one time use. It will be trash once the epoxy hardens. Check the label and see if it says it is non-toxic once it hardens. If not you can always send an email to the manufacturer and ask them. While you are at it ask for the MSDS sheet too which will probably tell you what you need to know. It's not gonna say dishwasher safe or stuff like that, but it may tell you it is non-toxic once it dries and will also have first-aid information.

                    Do a practice fit-up and work out a method of clamping the plate after you epoxy it. Maybe a couple (3 or 4) rubber bands will work. Place them in an X pattern so they cross at the center of the plate. That way each band is pulling through the center of the plate but at a different azimuth. It may take two people. Also consider epoxying the plate in the flipped position (upside down), this might make for a more stable base due to the greater diameter of the plate rim than the normal base ring which is about 4 or 5 inches. You also want to be sure the surface you are placing the plate on is flat. Lay a piece of plastic wrap under the plate so any squeeze out will be caught on the plastic.

                    I used some to repair a knob on the lid of an old Haviland China serving dish which had broken off when it got accidentally dropped. The china set having been in the family for over 100 years had value beyond its worth, so was worth attempting a repair. The clear epoxy worked fine. The break is almost invisible and as strong as new. This china is not put through the dishwasher due to its replacement cost (the replacement cost of the serving dish w/lid is approx. $250).


                    If any of you are ever looking to replace some older china you might want to visit this site:
                    http://www.replacements.com/index.htm
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 08-19-2007, 07:21 AM.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What glue for china dinner plate?

                      Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
                      why dont' you call the people that made it? company?ask for recomendations? or see what material is made of? and call someone?
                      Well this is a forum with tons of experience and helpful people thats why I ask, I dont know if theres a special glue for china plates. It doesnt hurt to ask questions? Like you stated call someone, I did I called out to this wonderful forum , where most are helpful.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: What glue for china dinner plate?

                        Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        If you have a clean break with no chips missing you could try some two-part clear epoxy. Apply it sparingly with a toothpick, Small artists paintbrush, or similar tool, but whatever you use it will be a one time use. It will be trash once the epoxy hardens. Check the label and see if it says it is non-toxic once it hardens. If not you can always send an email to the manufacturer and ask them. While you are at it ask for the MSDS sheet too which will probably tell you what you need to know. It's not gonna say dishwasher safe or stuff like that, but it may tell you it is non-toxic once it dries and will also have first-aid information.

                        Do a practice fit-up and work out a method of clamping the plate after you epoxy it. Maybe a couple (3 or 4) rubber bands will work. Place them in an X pattern so they cross at the center of the plate. That way each band is pulling through the center of the plate but at a different azimuth. It may take two people. Also consider epoxying the plate in the flipped position (upside down), this might make for a more stable base due to the greater diameter of the plate rim than the normal base ring which is about 4 or 5 inches. You also want to be sure the surface you are placing the plate on is flat. Lay a piece of plastic wrap under the plate so any squeeze out will be caught on the plastic.

                        I used some to repair a knob on the lid of an old Haviland China serving dish which had broken off when it got accidentally dropped. The china set having been in the family for over 100 years had value beyond its worth, so was worth attempting a repair. The clear epoxy worked fine. The break is almost invisible and as strong as new. This china is not put through the dishwasher due to its replacement cost (the replacement cost of the serving dish w/lid is approx. $250).


                        If any of you are ever looking to replace some older china you might want to visit this site:
                        http://www.replacements.com/index.htm
                        Thanks Bob, some good ideas to think about.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X