Do you remember?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you remember?

Do any of you remember buying little glass bottles of CocaCola for only 5 cents? How about pay phones where you dropped in a dime only after the party you called did in fact answer? If you put it in too soon, there was NO way to get your dime back. How about fresh hot doughnuts for not more than 10 cents each? A gallon of Regular grade name brand gasoline for 26.9 cents? Being able to see a good full size automobile with a sticker price of only $3000? How about the first color TV sets? AM-FM mono radios before stereo broadcasting came along? The milkman bring glass quart bottles of milk to your door and taking away the empties? Returning soda and milk bottles to the market and getting paid for them rather than being yelled at for doing such today? How about being able to mail a letter and postage was 5 cents or even less?

I remember all of the above but some was when I was pretty young and thus I have to stretch the old thinker but I do remember them. As for CocaCola being only 5 cents that was when I was too little to buy it, but I sure do remember it for 10 cents very well. The old red rounded top vending machines and they had a bottle opener on them and a hand crank. You put in 2 nickles or one dime and cranked it until you heard the bottle drop.

What do you have fond memories of as a child other than family things?

Re: Do you remember?

I remember party lines, it was fun listening to other peoples conversation when I was a kid.
    I remember waxed coca cola bottles, drink the drink then chew on the bottle.
    I remember when gas was .36 Cents (1978), just started driving. 1980 or so it shot up big time...
    I remember Ice Boxes instead of an electrical refrigerator. I was in Germany
    I still have comic books that I paid .03 cents and .05 cents, Sad Sac, Spider Man, Archie's, and many others.
    I still have an 8 track stereo that works, w/about a 100 tapes.
    Wheres Pipestonekid?, I'm sure he's seen a huge change in life.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      Do any of you remember buying little glass bottles of CocaCola for only 5 cents? How about pay phones where you dropped in a dime only after the party you called did in fact answer? If you put it in too soon, there was NO way to get your dime back. How about fresh hot doughnuts for not more than 10 cents each? A gallon of Regular grade name brand gasoline for 26.9 cents? Being able to see a good full size automobile with a sticker price of only $3000? How about the first color TV sets? AM-FM mono radios before stereo broadcasting came along? The milkman bring glass quart bottles of milk to your door and taking away the empties? Returning soda and milk bottles to the market and getting paid for them rather than being yelled at for doing such today? How about being able to mail a letter and postage was 5 cents or even less?

I remember all of the above but some was when I was pretty young and thus I have to stretch the old thinker but I do remember them. As for CocaCola being only 5 cents that was when I was too little to buy it, but I sure do remember it for 10 cents very well. The old red rounded top vending machines and they had a bottle opener on them and a hand crank. You put in 2 nickles or one dime and cranked it until you heard the bottle drop.

What do you have fond memories of as a child other than family things?
      I don't remember any of those since i' m, from europe..but i do remember me and my friends going to coca cola factory with empty gallon of bottle and they would refill it for free..we would go twice a week..what a good employees...It wasd so nice being a kid
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Those things are before my time...But i do remember when you could buy a pack of baseball cards for .50. I remember the summers being alot longer, and the days alot hotter....I remember when lunch boxes were all metal and had superman or spiderman and they looked 3d cause the metal was popped out...stupid stuff like that ...

Greg
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I remember when a pack of baseball cards(including gum) was 5¢. I remember when you could walk down any street at night and feel perfectly safe. Candy bars were 5¢ and so was a roll of Lifesavers. Drug stores had soda fountains where malts were made from scratch and a Coke was made with syrup and carbonated water. Wanted a cherry Coke or vanilla Coke, no problem, just add a little cherry or vanilla syrup.

I also remember when God wasn't controversial and the Pledge of Allegiance meant something. Children used to respect their elders and parents would smack them in the backside if they dared call a grown-up by their first name.

All that's gone now but some still insist that these are the best of times. I wonder?
          ================================================== ====
          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

yes on many of the items, if I don't it was because they were not in our area, such as the "milk man" we lived in the country, and there were few deliveries, except for the MAIL, and to have the mail car come and in the summer we kids would run down to the mail box, (about 1/4 mile) to retrieve it. I vaguely remember a pop machine (coke) that was more like a chest type, you lift the lid and the pop was in a cooled water bath, it was in the Coop oil building, you put your money in the coin box and it was on the honor system. and open the lid and take out your selection of pop.
            there was one store that payed a nickel for the bottles and the other did not as kids we would buy at the store that did not charge and take to return the bottles at the one that payed the nickel, for the refund.

I remember one of the school teachers bringing one of the first AM transistors radios into the class room, a radio that one could put in your pocket,and carry and listen to it at the same time, and not plug in or need a battery that size of car battery to run, it was amazing,
            and another one of the school teachers had a color TV, and for a class outing she took us to her place so We could see the "Color TV", for a number of years the only one in the area,

I remember my dad bringing home a "power saw" (handheld type) and a 1/4" single speed electric drill, not that they were new invention, but new to us and many as at that time electricity was relative a new thing, to the farm,
            and the day he brought home a air compressor, a little 1/2 horse unit took a week to pump up it seemed like, but what a blessing over a spark plug pump,

my dads first tractor he had hydraulics on was amazing as well, you touch a lever the machine lifts out of the ground, when ever you want it to or to adjust it depth, you did not have to stop the tractor and crawl out on the machinery and pull levers and lift it out by hand, (yes some had wheel lifts that you would pull a rope and it would engage the wheel and the motion would activate a system that would lift it out, and pull it again and it would drop, but you had to be moving, and when you were stuck it was a mess),

Balers over binders, when putting up feed, (hay), on a binder it was a two person job jsut to cut the feed, one on the tractor and one on the binder, and it would cut the feed and drop it on to a moving canvas, and then bunch it and tie it in to bundles, and then kick it out on a basket type platform, then when you got enough bundles for a shock, you would dump the basket, and to run the binder there were foot pedals to control the basket and levers that need adjusting for the amounts of the hay and the heights you wanted to cut, then you would go back out in the field and take the bundles and build shocks of feed you would take the bundles and build like what looked like a tee pee of feed bundles, then you would go out with (horses or a tractor pulling a hay wagon and pitch fork the feed on to the wagon to feed it). (I remember going out with my dad and trying to shock the feed some times the bundles were as big as I was),
            but the baler and the swather you went out and cut the feed let it dry and then bail it, and they also had machines to pick up the bales and stack them, but even with it was still easier to handle bales than shocks of feed,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              I remember when a pack of baseball cards(including gum) was 5¢. I remember when you could walk down any street at night and feel perfectly safe. Candy bars were 5¢ and so was a roll of Lifesavers. Drug stores had soda fountains where malts were made from scratch and a Coke was made with syrup and carbonated water. Wanted a cherry Coke or vanilla Coke, no problem, just add a little cherry or vanilla syrup.

I also remember when God wasn't controversial and the Pledge of Allegiance meant something. Children used to respect their elders and parents would smack them in the backside if they dared call a grown-up by their first name.

All that's gone now but some still insist that these are the best of times. I wonder?

AMEN!!!! now you smack your kids for them doing wrong or discipiline...and you go to jail
              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

i remember when thrifty's/ now rite aide had icecream for 5 cents a single, 10 cents a double and 15 cents a triple.

i would drop 15 cents and get 3 singles.

now it's 99, 1.49 and 1.99

usually just a single now

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I remember when music and tv used to make an attempt to inspire people to work hard and take pride in anything they did. Now music (rap) teaches the new generation to be as selfish and irresponsible in every way that you can think possible.

I remember when kids stayed in shape because they were outside playing instead of inside eating and playing video games and watching tv.

I remember when I used to have to look things up in books instead of opening google and finding it in 4 seconds.

Comment

Here I am, Garager. Yes, I remember all of those things, and more. I used to pay 18 cents a gallon for gas and got free dishes with it! Now those same dishes bring a fortune at auctions. Go figure. I remeber ice cream on a stick(called Cheerios in the Twin Cities) that had at least one stick that had FREE witten on it. If you were the lucky kid that got it you just took it to the store and they gave you another for free. Of course, most of us thought we were extremely lucky if we had the nickel for the first one. I also remember applying for my first drivers liscense-- went to the local bank, got an application, filled it ou and mailed it in with 35 cents. The DOT stamped it and sent it back and you were liscensed. Must have worked, cause the only accident I was close to being involved with was when a guy ran into my parked truck. Did any of you roll a barrel hoop down the street with a stick? Now don't ask me what a barrel hoop is........

Comment

I remember a small town police chief named George. He knew everybody by their first name. He kept a close eye on us boys. He let the small stuff go and pulled in the reins just often enough that we are still alive to tell our stories. The most honest man that ever wore a badge. Had the honor to have him as a co-worker after his retirement.
                      I remember that we had a willow tree out back and part of your punishment was cutting your own switch. Got lots of spankings and deserved EVERY one I got. As much as I hated that tree, it helped teach me right from wrong. You didn't get rewards for being good (that was what you were supposed to be doing in the first place), you were just able to keep your privelages.
                      I remember having two TV channels (three on a clear day) and a tv that had to be fine tuned to the channel.
                      I remember saying "Yes, Sir" when the teacher told me to shut up and sit down. I remember when if you weren't good enough you didn't make the team and there were no lawsuits filed to change it.
                      I remember that the old rotary phone was mounted on the wall in the kitchen and its cord was no more than 3 feet long. Made for much shorter calls. And yes, it was a party line.
                      I remember nothing being open past 8 p.m. and very, very few stores being open at all on Sunday. Radio stations that went off the air at 10 and tv stations off the air at 1 a.m.
                      Dinner was ready when Mom said it was ready. If you were late, you got to make your own.
                      The "good old days" weren't ALL good, but at least the world let you do your own thing. Didn't have government agencies deciding what was best for you. Good people flourished and were successful, bad people were dealt with according to their deeds.
                      My parents did good. Any faults I have are of my own making.
                      Jack

Comment

I remember when respect was replaced with expect.
                        I remember when kids were expected to clean their rooms BEFORE they could go out and play, now they expect playstation and Spongebob before they do their homework.
                        I remember when the "breadwinner" was respected, now he/she is expected to provide ALL the conveniences modern technology has to offer without expectations, as long as there no "verbal abuse" there might not be any legal ramifications.
                        I remember when you were respected for achievements on the job, now you're expected to take a back seat to affirmative action. (No, there's nothing wrong with giving someone a fair shake who would be otherwise discriminated, but where's the line? Shouldn't my local police officer be the most qualified at his job?)
                        I remember when we had to respect life's experiences and learn to grow from them, now we expect the doc's to prescribe instant solutions like prozac because we're "depressed".
                        I see foreigners enter this country with a drive that we no longer possess, because they still know the difference between expecting and respecting.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          I remember when respect was replaced with expect.
                          I remember when kids were expected to clean their rooms BEFORE they could go out and play, now they expect playstation and Spongebob before they do their homework.
                          I remember when the "breadwinner" was respected, now he/she is expected to provide ALL the conveniences modern technology has to offer without expectations, as long as there no "verbal abuse" there might not be any legal ramifications.
                          I remember when you were respected for achievements on the job, now you're expected to take a back seat to affirmative action. (No, there's nothing wrong with giving someone a fair shake who would be otherwise discriminated, but where's the line? Shouldn't my local police officer be the most qualified at his job?)
                          I remember when we had to respect life's experiences and learn to grow from them, now we expect the doc's to prescribe instant solutions like prozac because we're "depressed".
                          I see foreigners enter this country with a drive that we no longer possess, because they still know the difference between expecting and respecting.

I'm a foreigner and i respect more then i expect. If i expect it has to do with my myself...like expecting myself to work harder to get what i want and i will..drive,integrity,passion,honesty and persistance is what i expect from my work as a future realtor and posibly future mortgage broker

I don't expect for everthing to be given to me nor i want it..doesn't drive me..makes me lazy and pathetic

I need to be challenged with my knowledge and work and always have to climbe the ladder..cannot stay on one position...

Comment

Woussko, this is one of the best threads I've ever read. Beautiful responses from all the guys. There's nothing I can add that hasn't been said already.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What does it mean if you still have rotary phones, yes one in the kitchen,
                              and only got off the party line systems a few years ago,
                              still only get a few TV stations, via antenna,
                              and the county Sheriff still calls you by your first name.
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                              X