X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: vick and dogfighting

I used to be an avid NFL fan (fantasy leagues, etc.) but punks like this and the egos they have turned me off of the game years ago. Pretty much started with the Dion Sanders era. In my opinion, the NFL has turned into the NBA. Players think they can get away with anything, and often do because of their "star" status.
    I have a nasty feeling Vick will pay some fines, make some donations, grease some palms and be handed a weak sentence which will be waived if he undergoes therapy.
    I am a firm believer of "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth".
    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Most of the world is saying "So what is the problem?!" Dogs in many countries are either a food source or the thief that kills the chickens or steals the meat you hung out to "age". Same with cock fighting. It is no more morally disturbing than a food fight in a school cafeteria (altho many kids would be blistered for wasting food and would not even think about it in a third world country while they would be praised for killing a dog). What do you think happens to the greyhounds in the USA when they can no longer race? True, some groups are rescuing them if they can find adoptive homes, but most are just euthanized. No profit in a slow or injured dog unless its record is such that it can be a breeder. Same for race horses and look at the big show we have for the Triple Crown. And yet the sports channels make big bucks on the Xtreme sports competitions where humans beat each other bloody. And those that think professional wrestling and boxing are really up-front honest contests need to do a reality check. VIck was in a sport that all the fans are yelling "sack the quarterback. Put him out of the game." which means to injure or cripple him.
      We have senior citizens living in retirement homes that provide less humane conditions than Vick did for his winning dogs, and congressman giving lip service to a fix while they take campaign donations from the companies providing minimum care for profit's sake.
      I am thankful that I live in a society that is concerned about domestic pets. However, when I see more outrage and news coverage for animals that could never be pets than I see for human beings existing in worse conditions, I think maybe we need to take another look at our priorities. Its sad when we hold sports celebrities to a higher standard than we do those we elect to governing offices.

Go
      Last edited by Gofor; 09-01-2007, 09:04 PM.
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Gofor Most of the world is saying "So what is the problem?!" Dogs in many countries are either a food source or the thief that kills the chickens or steals the meat you hung out to "age". Same with cock fighting. It is no more morally disturbing than a food fight in a school cafeteria (altho many kids would be blistered for wasting food and would not even think about it in a third world country while they would be praised for killing a dog). What do you think happens to the greyhounds in the USA when they can no longer race? True, some groups are rescuing them if they can find adoptive homes, but most are just euthanized. No profit in a slow or injured dog unless its record is such that it can be a breeder. Same for race horses and look at the big show we have for the Triple Crown. And yet the sports channels make big bucks on the Xtreme sports competitions where humans beat each other bloody. And those that think professional wrestling and boxing are really up-front honest contests need to do a reality check. VIck was in a sport that all the fans are yelling "sack the quarterback. Put him out of the game." which means to injure or cripple him.
        We have senior citizens living in retirement homes that provide less humane conditions than Vick did for his winning dogs, and congressman giving lip service to a fix while they take campaign donations from the companies providing minimum care for profit's sake.
        I am thankful that I live in a society that is concerned about domestic pets. However, when I see more outrage and news coverage for animals that could never be pets than I see for human beings existing in worse conditions, I think maybe we need to take another look at our priorities. Its sad when we hold sports celebrities to a higher standard than we do those we elect to governing offices.
        The main reason there is out rage, is we in the US put dogs and animals on nearly the same level as people and kids.

All the dogs are doing is what is natural to them take to complete male dogs and they are going to fight for supremacy, (it may not be to the death but there are going to challenge each other in some form) (but you take the more agressive breeds and many will fight to the death or to the point the other will die in time)

The same as with cocks they will sooner or later kill each other, (we have had a number of cocks in the chickens fight it out to the death) if not separated or they will keep them selves separated, far separated and form there own territory.

All you have to do is watch any nature show and you see it played out time and time again in nature,

And as far as killing goes, majority of farm animals are raised to die, and most people seem to really enjoy them on the dinner plate.

Another thing most people are very far removed from the killing side of of the food chain, and most prefer it that way. It is kinda like what I do not see does not hurt me any.

In reality we are a very soft people when it comes to the process of death and dieing.

NO I do not think people should be allowed to purposely harm or torture injure animals jsut for there odd sense of pleasure,
        but I will agree when the animals are protected more than people there is some thing wrong with the system.
        but in the same process when we humanise animals there is a problem,
        yes I have pets and love them and it hurts when they die, or are hurt and injured. but that is emotion, not that there human,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got this email the other day and this is jsut a prime example of the situation of how male dogs can fight to the death,

A wealthy English lord was taking his prize-winning Great Dane for a walk, when he decided to nip into the local pub. He tied the dog up outside, went in, and ordered a pint.

A few minutes later, a scruffy little chap comes into the pub, hat in hand, and says "Beggin' yer pardon, but who moight be ownin' that bloody big dog outside?"

The lord turns to him and answers, "That dog is mine. Why do you ask?"

The little guy says "Oim afraid my dog has killed your dog. Oim terribly sorry."

The lord is shocked. After gaping for a few moments, he chokes out "But, but, my dog is a full-size Great Dane! He's a brute! The size of a small pony! Good Lord, what kind of dog do you have?"

"He's a chihuahua, sir."

"A chihuahua?!? How in the bloody hell did a chihuahua manage to kill my Great Dane?"

"Oi think he got stuck in 'is throat, sir."
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD,

I'm with you 110%. As mentioned the problem here was the violence to the dogs for the mere entertainment of spectators.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

DOGFIGHTING and animal cruelty are felonies in virginia with animal cruelty charges holding penalties up to 5 years in jail for each animal killed.

The execution of these animals and the manner in which they were being executed is offensive.

Bred pit bulls to tear each other apart for human enjoyment and their own profit. Now that is so wrong.

The pit bulls, vicious and dangerous as they were, only behaved as they were trained.

If Vick and his partners trained dogs to rend each other mercilessly and brutally killed the animals whose natures were insufficiently vicious to win fights, and, did so just to make money by satisfying a barbaric blood in their customers or to provide them with a gambling adrenaline rush, they deserve to be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Comment

I live in the greatest nation,this nation has cultural boundaries that separate us from the female suppressing Taliban,The bullfiting Latins and the slave slaughtering Romans.

We count on these lines to keep our people more humane.

Yes,I'm sorry about our current issue's that have not had lines drawn.

But this is deliberate cruelty by one entity.

No punishment for this will cause others to push the line further out.

There was a chicken farmer out here in So. Cal. who's animals were quaranteened for a dissease he ran more than a few hundred down the shute and through the tree shredder he rented.No problem quick and painless.So no ignorant tree hugging animal activist here.No problem shot,prep and ate my own farm pig.

I just erased a lot of graphic scenarios of human nature and decided it was too much.Had nothing to do with pigs.

I find it hard to put it to put into words without getting out of hand.

Enforce this law and others will be thinking as they try to push it.

Comment

Adam,

I agree this was horrible and what makes us different from other Countries is we do think it was wrong. One of the problems as I understand it is Vick is in trouble because of the inter State portion of the case. It sounds as though if he had kept it in State he may not have been in as much trouble.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                X